Windows 10: Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows

Discus and support Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If you have read the blog post about the latest Windows 11 Dev build, you may have noticed the following paragraph: "We are continuing the exploration... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Apr 17, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows

If you have read the blog post about the latest Windows 11 Dev build, you may have noticed the following paragraph: "We are continuing the exploration of badging on the Start menu with several new treatments for users logging in with local user accounts to highlight the benefits of signing in with a Microsoft account (MSA). If you see one of these treatments, give us feedback on what you think:" (via Ask Woody)

Microsoft refers to the Start Menu advertisement for using a Microsoft Account, which it started to show to users of Insider builds of Windows 11. Microsoft started to experiment with OneDrive notifications in the Start Menu in late 2022 already, and has modified the messages since then. One of the latest iterations displayed an error icon to local account users to increase the pressure further.

One could say now that this is one of the risks associated with running development builds of the Windows operating system. Microsoft is going to try things to see how they do, and will remove some before the launch of the next stable version of the operating system.

Microsoft is motivated to convince users to use a Microsoft account. In doing so, it gains access to data and also options to sell some of its products to users. Several recent feature additions are clearly aimed at that.

The Settings app highlights OneDrive storage now and Outlook users may have discovered recently that they can't send or receive emails anymore, as Microsoft decided to add Outlook file attachments to the customer's storage quota. Microsoft experimented with ads in File Explorer, and with promotional messages elsewhere.

Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows [​IMG]

The company is quick when it comes to introducing these promotional messages in Windows, but often not as quick when it comes to giving users a choice to disable those messages.

Windows 11 has several preferences already that determine whether some of the promotional messages are displayed or not. There is the notorious System > Notifications > Additional Settings > Get tips and suggestions when using Windows setting, or the dreaded "Show the Windows welcome experience after updates and when signed in to show what's new and suggested".

Many Windows customers and testers have turned these off, either manually or by using privacy tools, but there is no centralized setting that deals with everything. The Start Menu promotions, for instance, require a new Setting, which does not exist yet.

Another annoyance: when users complete the initial steps of setup after installation of the operating system, they will notice that they can't create a local account easily anymore. Microsoft removed the option from Home and Pro systems. While there are options to create a local account on Windows still, most customers are unaware of these and will create a Microsoft Account instead, as they have no option to proceed otherwise.

There is also Out of Box Experience dialog, which Microsoft introduced in Windows 10. It asks customers to select country and keyboard settings, create the first account, make some privacy changes, and the Welcome Experience, which promotes certain Microsoft products. The latter includes no option to decline, only to postpone. If postponed, it will be displayed over and over again to the user, unless the option is turned off in the Settings app.

Closing Words

Regardless of Stable or Beta versions of Windows, Microsoft should give its customers straightforward options to turn off undesirable features in the operating system. These need to be attached to the dialogs, windows or badges directly, and should not be hidden somewhere deep in the Settings or missing.

Microsoft should not have an "anything goes" approach in development builds, and it should start valuing its Home customers more again.

Or, as Susan Bradley over at Ask Woody puts it, "Sometimes we WANT the choice we have gone OUT OF OUR WAY to select. If we wanted a Microsoft account, we would get that Microsoft account.".

Now You: what would you change in Windows, if you had the might to do so?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Apr 17, 2023
  2. rick95617 Win User

age of empires

Since I upgrade to windows 10 all my old files and favorite websites have disappeared and I am unable to play Age of Empires II. None of the "fixes" on the website do anything. Any other suggestions. I'm beginning to understand why my Dad always called
    Microsoft evil.

rick95617, Apr 17, 2023
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    Age Of Empires The Age Of Kings Multiplayer Crash

Hi,

This issue might happen if the Windows Firewall is blocking the game from connecting to the LAN.

I suggest you to add the Age of Empires the Age of Kings, to the exception list of the Windows Firewall and check if the issue is resolved.

Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + X key and select
      Control Panel.

• Click on View by in the top right panel and select Small Icons.

• Find and click on Windows Firewall.

• Click on Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall in the left panel.

• Click on Change Settings, find and check the Age of Empires the Age of Kings box for both
      Public and Private Columns.

• If Age of Empires the Age of Kings is not listed, then click on
      Add and select the installed path of the game.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Apr 17, 2023
  4. Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows

insert cd error in age of empires gold edition

Hi Prem,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10, I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if Game is not installed properly.

To assist you to better, please provided us the information below:

• Have you checked whether empires gold edition game is compatible with Windows 10 or not?
    • Is the issue specific to empires gold edition game?

I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the Empires gold edition game in the computer. Check if it helps.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with running
    empires gold edition game, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 17, 2023
Thema:

Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows

1. Please Microsoft, stop these Evil Empire tactics in Windows - Similar Threads - Please Microsoft stop

2. Please Microsoft stop this!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please Microsoft stop this!: Please Microsoft stop this! This is absolute messy with every update! At least get rid of the unknown user! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-microsoft-stop-this/af3b8662-f20f-480a-8a95-d1132c19ed43
  3. Please Microsoft stop this!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please Microsoft stop this!: Please Microsoft stop this! This is absolute messy with every update! At least get rid of the unknown user! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-microsoft-stop-this/af3b8662-f20f-480a-8a95-d1132c19ed43
  4. When will Microsoft stop these anti-consumer make them rich tactics?

When will Microsoft stop these anti-consumer make them rich tactics?: Reinstalling ANY app without my concent is really messed up. Teams and edge act like a virus. It is my pc not yours microsoft.Also quit the shady practice of stealing then selling my data to advertisers. This HAS to stop or you will face MANY class action lawsuits concerning...
  5. When will Microsoft stop these anti-consumer make them rich tactics?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When will Microsoft stop these anti-consumer make them rich tactics?: Reinstalling ANY app without my concent is really messed up. Teams and edge act like a virus. It is my pc not yours microsoft.Also quit the shady practice of stealing then selling my data to advertisers. This HAS to stop or you will face MANY class action lawsuits concerning...
  6. Classic MS evil empire: I too HATE Windows 11 S mode on the new laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Classic MS evil empire: I too HATE Windows 11 S mode on the new laptop.: That S mode is irreversible. That i can't use my preferred AVS or browser. MS Edge stinks, I had long ignored it. That those of us who have been computing for decades, both at worksite workstations and our own PCs, recall when we had options and choices. Don't get me started...
  7. Classic MS evil empire: I too HATE Windows 11 S mode on the new laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Classic MS evil empire: I too HATE Windows 11 S mode on the new laptop.: Is that DESCRIPTIVE enough for you? I had to abandon my preferred AVS protection and browser -- and god knows what else I am screwed out of using. I hate that switching out of S mode is irreversible. Microsoft truly sucks in so many ways, ever inventive how their decrees piss...
  8. Classic MS evil empire: I too HATE Windows 11 S mode on the new laptop.

Classic MS evil empire: I too HATE Windows 11 S mode on the new laptop.: Is that DESCRIPTIVE enough for you? I had to abandon my preferred AVS protection and browser -- and god knows what else I am screwed out of using. I hate that switching out of S mode is irreversible. Microsoft truly sucks in so many ways, ever inventive how their decrees piss...
  9. deceitful tactics

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    deceitful tactics: How come when you sign up for an account all the included documentation never mentions a need for your phone number, and assures you your information is guarded, however after a few day the account becomes mysteriously compromised and they must have my phone number or i cant...
  10. Another Microsoft strong arm tactic

in Browsers and Email
    Another Microsoft strong arm tactic: I received an email from Microsoft regarding my Windows Live Mail 2012............................... Dear user, In a few weeks, we will be making some changes to our email services that might impact your @outlook.com, @hotmail, @live, or @msn email account. Those...