Windows 10: Please recommend Windows 10 boot drive cloning free software.

Discus and support Please recommend Windows 10 boot drive cloning free software. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I plain to upgrade an old Laptop's HDD to an new SSD please recommend free cloning software, or even a paid option. I like free though. TIA submitted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/goar101reddit, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Please recommend Windows 10 boot drive cloning free software.

I plain to upgrade an old Laptop's HDD to an new SSD please recommend free cloning software, or even a paid option. I like free though. TIA

submitted by /u/goar101reddit
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/goar101reddit, Dec 27, 2019

2. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Dec 27, 2019
  3. cadaveca Win User
    Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

Part of how I keep my SSD fast is to clone it to a platter drive, then clone back. You just want to make sure that you are only cloning teh used space, and not the empty space.

So, again, I isntall Windows to the ssd. Clone to platter drive, then clone back.

I am not sure why, but if I do not do the clone step, the drive's speed, and windows booting, decreases substantially within a week or so.

I am using a Corsair F60 SSD and a Western Digital 500AAKS as drives, and using the free version of Acronis that WD provides, if any of that matters. I am not sure, at this point.

cadaveca, Dec 27, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Please recommend Windows 10 boot drive cloning free software.

Recommendations on Cloning Software

Lots of posts but when it comes down to it difference between cloning and images is simple.

You clone a drive to make an exact copy of an existing drive eg upgrading to larger drive or ssd.

You make images of an existing drive to a another drive, with primary intent to restore image to SAME drive that was backed up e.g. Windows has got corrupted or infected with ransomware.

It just so happens you can restore image to a DIFFERENT drive i.e. same as cloning but a two step process involving a tertiary drive.

Problem with cloning as a backup method is that it wipes the target drive. An image backup is simply another compressed file on a drive.

cereberus, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

Please recommend Windows 10 boot drive cloning free software.

1. Please recommend Windows 10 boot drive cloning free software. - Similar Threads - Please recommend boot

2. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  3. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  4. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 3rd party software recommendations please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3rd party software recommendations please: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need 3rd party software to move the space to the c drive. Looking for recommendations from the software users, not developers or employees of software houses thanks....
  6. 3rd party software recommendations please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3rd party software recommendations please: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need 3rd party software to move the space to the c drive. Looking for recommendations from the software users, not developers or employees of software houses thanks....
  7. 3rd party software recommendations please

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Need recommendation for cloning software

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need recommendation for cloning software: I want to buy an SSD and transfer my OS (windows 10) and all the apps that come with it from the HDD to the SSD and that be my main hard drive and keep my HHD as extra storage. Which cloning software would you recommend for that? submitted by /u/ikrarmy [link] [comments]...
  9. Image cloning/backup software recommendation sought

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image cloning/backup software recommendation sought: I am looking at Acronis or Macrium. Any thoughts? Is the free version of Macrium good or should I buy one. Many thanks SM 125805
  10. Recommendations on Cloning Software

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recommendations on Cloning Software: Hello, I am a Mac person, but trying to learn more about supporting Windows. I am looking for recommendations on finding good cloning software for PCs. On Mac, we have CCC which is a dream to use! Also, I am looking for a solution that is stable, idiot-proof, and...