Windows 10: Please select boot device – UEFI Boot Sources

Discus and support Please select boot device – UEFI Boot Sources in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]If you see the following screen when you start your Windows 10 computer, then this post will be able to help you. The screen is […] This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 20, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

Please select boot device – UEFI Boot Sources

WinClub, Mar 20, 2020

2. UEFI boot options disappeared from BIOS; now getting reboot and select proper boot device

In short, I need to get the system/BIOS to allow UEFI booting of the SSD.

Computer started up today with default BIOS settings.

• Only SSD 1(Windows boot) and SSD 2 were listed in BIOS; HDD 1 and HDD 2 were not visible
    • System would not boot. Gave the 'reboot and select proper boot device' message
    • Boot menu has no UEFI/EFI (or Windows Boot Manager) entries anymore
    I went into Partition Magic/Gparted and confirmed :

• All drives are still showing
    • All drives' data is in tact [EFI volume/partition is still listed (and can be browsed/files accessible)]
    Gparted print out (note dev/sda2 apparently that is normal behavior) :

/dev/sda1 (locked) EFI System Partition--Fat32--/media/sda1--100.00mb--46.81MiB--53.19MiB--boot,esp
    /dev/sda2 (exclamation mark) Microsoft reserved partition--unknown file system--no mount point--128.00MiB--unused spaced--msftres
    /dev/sda3 basic data partition--ntfs--/media/sda3--118.58GiB--70.78GiB--47.80GiB--msftdata
    /dev/sda4--ntfs--/media/sda4--450.00MiB--327.71MiB--122.29MiB--hidden,diag

As I am able to boot Windows installation from USB, I tried the standard startup repair. It said it was not able to fix any problems.

Next I tried to repair the EFI with Diskpart in the shell:

• sel vol 1 (note that Diskpart states EFI partition is 'hidden')
    • assign letter=z:
    • cd /d z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-us /s vz /f ALL
    It completed all tasks successfully. Unfortunately that did not work.

Other things I have tried :

• Removing CMOS battery and replacing with a new one - my HDD started showing up again after doing this.
    • Using the old MBR commands(in hopes it would force the Windows startup repair to recognize and fix a problem)
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /scanos
    bootrec /rebuildbcd​
    • Loaded BIOS 'optimized'/defaults (the system did this already once before, hence why I am in this situation, though doing it manually seemed like an option worth trying. Note that after doing this and restarting the system, HDD's stopped showing again)
    • Removed new CMOS battery and left it out of the system for thirty minutes
    • Formatted EFI and msftres partitions, then rebuilt the EFI boot records
    In summary, am looking to force the BIOS to see the EFI partition on the SSD boot drive, as it is not an option any longer.

newconroer, Mar 20, 2020
  3. reboot and select property boot device

You need to set your main Harddrive which has your Operating System on as the first harddrive to boot, if have more than one harddrive.

open Bios
    boot priority
    Select the OS harddrive as first boot drive , If not sure switch between them
    Set correct time and date if wrong
    Save and reboot

If not sure on steps , give the Make and model number of motherboard and can assist you.

Hopefully no damage to the HDD

SnakeDoctor, Mar 20, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

confused about selecting boot device

At step 2 you will select which device you want to boot from, USB flash drive or DVD. On some systems you will also have the choice how you want to boot it, UEFI or legacy BIOS.

The choice of how you boot from the installation device determines whether Windows sets up the SSD/HDD as GPT for UEFI booting or MBR for legacy BIOS booting.

NavyLCDR, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

1. Please select boot device – UEFI Boot Sources - Similar Threads - Please select boot

2. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please select boot device: Why my pc shows please select boot device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-select-boot-device/b340d92b-38b1-4441-9583-1f8b678a3584
  3. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please select boot device: Why my pc shows please select boot device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-select-boot-device/b340d92b-38b1-4441-9583-1f8b678a3584
  4. Please select boot device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Bluescreen then Please Select Boot Device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluescreen then Please Select Boot Device: Hello,I've got this issue where the computer bluescreens with a message saying "something went wrong" and the PC restarts. The motherboard logo comes up fine, but then it transitions into a black screen with the error "Please select boot device". Every time I can simply...
  6. Bluescreen then Please Select Boot Device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluescreen then Please Select Boot Device: Hello,I've got this issue where the computer bluescreens with a message saying "something went wrong" and the PC restarts. The motherboard logo comes up fine, but then it transitions into a black screen with the error "Please select boot device". Every time I can simply...
  7. Bluescreen then Please Select Boot Device

8. Please select boot device

Please select boot device: Hello, I am facing one major problem with my pc startup. Everytime when I turn on my PC, I'm getting this screen "please select boot device".I have tried troubleshooting options, but none of them worked. I have also checked the boot priorities, but there is only one option...
  9. “Reboot and select a proper boot device” after trying to boot in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    “Reboot and select a proper boot device” after trying to boot in uefi mode: I did a clean windows install on my laptop and I tried to change the boot option from legacy to uefi, but every time i do that I get a message saying “Reboot and select a proper boot device”, I checked and the boot order is correct. How can I fix this problem?. submitted by...
  10. "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device": Hi, I recently built a new PC with a 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD. I'm installing Windows 10 via USB and I've made the USB top priority in the boot list. However, when I exit BIOS, It gives me an error saying "Reboot and Select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected...