Windows 10: Please try to help, Macrium Clone error but now original drive messed

Discus and support Please try to help, Macrium Clone error but now original drive messed in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi guys, so I am totally totally confused on this one and really in a bad situation. I have a HDD that is 1TB that I was cloning to a 500gb m.2 nvme... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Napkins333, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Please try to help, Macrium Clone error but now original drive messed

Hi guys, so I am totally totally confused on this one and really in a bad situation.

I have a HDD that is 1TB that I was cloning to a 500gb m.2 nvme SSD using Macrium free latest as of 4/19/2020

I select and drag all partitions from the original drive down to the clean empty new m.2 SSD and started the clone ( I did have to press partition properties and try to drag the sizes for the C: on the SSD becuase the SSD is only 500gb but I made sure there was only 377gb on the original HDD so it would fit on the SSD..

Anyway, the whole process got to 70% and then failed, and said this in the picture BUT NOW all the sudden my ORIGINAL HDD has 930free space and a partition that is all free and the 2 or 3 other partitions like "reserved" and recovery" etc..

But what just happened? Now I lost my files on my original hard drive because the clone failed which isn't even supposed to touch my original HDD at all?? What could have gone wrong?

DId macrium try to copy a partition to the original HDD and completely mess up? WHy did my partitions get off on my original HDD..

I don't care about the new SSD, I just want my original HDD back to normal and now it has a new partition structure all the sudden!

I'll try to upload more pictures, but so far that's what has happened.

Hope this makes sense.

Should I be running Testdisk or something to try to get my files?

More pictures incoming..

Please try to help, Macrium Clone error but now original drive messed [​IMG]

:)

Napkins333, Apr 21, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

Cannot clone original install

Are you dragging and dropping the partitions? The destination drive should be unallocated (clean). Then you click on Clone this disk under the source disk you want to make the clone of. Then you click on Select the disk to clone to in the bottom pane of the next window. Then you click on the destination drive that you want to clone to. Then you drag and drop the partitions you want to clone from the top (source drive) pane to the unallocated space on the bottom (destination drive) pane. You can click on the dropped partitions in the bottom pane and select partition properties to resize the partition when it is cloned. Once you get the destination drive looking the way you want to, click on finish.

Step 1: select Clone this disk under the source disk:

Step 2: Select destination disk

Step 3: Drag and drop partitions

Step 4: Select partition and select cloned partition properties to change the size

Step 5: Everything in desired place and desired size, click Finish

NavyLCDR, Apr 21, 2020
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    Make clone disk bootable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community.

Since the back-up is made from the Macrium software, I would suggest you to check this link on ‘Restoring
    a System image from Windows
    ’ provided by the software developers.

To restore from a cloned drive to the original drive, it appears that it would require a working Windows operating system on the original drive. Since this is related to the applications and data within your system, I would suggest you to get in touch
    with the software developers of Macrium to get a confirmation with this.

Hope it helps.

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Apr 21, 2020
  4. Martmcd Win User

Please try to help, Macrium Clone error but now original drive messed

Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium Reflect.

Hi DennisCPA

i don't know of a maximum size (nor can i find it mentioned), largest i have cloned is 4TB.

when i last had a clone fail, whilst checking connections of the destination drive i put it in a different port and it worked (i didn't investigate further), suggestion, check destination drive connections or try a different port

you may get a better solution if you ask in the Macrium reflect forums

Macrium Support Forum

Martmcd, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

Please try to help, Macrium Clone error but now original drive messed

1. Please try to help, Macrium Clone error but now original drive messed - Similar Threads - Please try help

2. Tried to move Downloads folder to D drive, messed it up, can't move it back now, please help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried to move Downloads folder to D drive, messed it up, can't move it back now, please help: I wanted to move my user account folders to it, so my documents, downloads, music, pictures, etc. I moved my downloads folder to the root directory instead of to a folder called "downloads," and now my downloads are mixed in with my other folders and it's just messy. I tried...
  3. Tried to move Downloads folder to D drive, messed it up, can't move it back now, please help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tried to move Downloads folder to D drive, messed it up, can't move it back now, please help: I wanted to move my user account folders to it, so my documents, downloads, music, pictures, etc. I moved my downloads folder to the root directory instead of to a folder called "downloads," and now my downloads are mixed in with my other folders and it's just messy. I tried...
  4. Tried to move Downloads folder to D drive, messed it up, can't move it back now, please help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tried to move Downloads folder to D drive, messed it up, can't move it back now, please help: I installed a new SSD in my laptop and it works great. I wanted to move my user account folders to it, so my documents, downloads, music, pictures, etc. I moved my downloads folder to the root directory instead of to a folder called "downloads," and now my downloads are mixed...
  5. Boot Drive messed up? please help!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot Drive messed up? please help!: So, I was doing the Guru3D Display Driver Uninstaller, and I did all that, and it restarted and then it says “A disk read error occurred, press ctrl alt del to restart” and i don’t know what to do!!!! submitted by /u/FalconzBeast [link] [comments]...
  6. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  7. cloning with Macrium

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cloning with Macrium: I am trying to clone a small drive in an old laptop to a larger drive for the extra storage I have used just a straight clone onto an unallocated disk , formatting the disk with exfat deleting the volumes so that the disk becomes empty and even tried it with the disk marked...
  8. Macrium Reflect 7 clone error

Macrium Reflect 7 clone error: Windows 10 Pro ver. 1909 (OS build 18.363.959) Trying to clone my operating system to a new drive I get the following error: Error 0 unable to match partition Drive 1 start sector 467118080 Result code 0x8004230f Can anyone help please? 161281
  9. Macrium Reflect Clone Error 0

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium Reflect Clone Error 0: Trying to clone a Win 10 boot drive - 250GB SSD to a new 500GB SSD and it keeps failing at or near the end of the clone. I did a check disk on both drives. Not sure what else to do. Would a paid package be worth a try? EaseUs is $20 which would be worth it if it works....
  10. cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect

cloning hard drive with Macrium Reflect: I am wanting to clone my hard drive and put it on another computer. I think I get it cloned on a external hd. I have made a boot cd. Now here is my problem I don't know how to get it to transfer to the new hd on the new computer. The cd ask wish image to tranfer but there is...