Windows 10: PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update

Discus and support PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I copied my movie library to a larger HDD on my NAS -- however PLEX media server did an entire rescan AND UPDATE again of the library -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Dec 21, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update

Hi there

I copied my movie library to a larger HDD on my NAS -- however PLEX media server did an entire rescan AND UPDATE again of the library - anyway to prevent re-building the DB -- nothing had changed apart from the fact the HDD was larger -- mount points / shares exactly as before, no content had changed so why did PLEX need to rescan and update the entire library (2 hrs !!!. or more)

I can understand that the PLEX DB might contain specific physical HDD pointer locations to speed up indexing etc so surely a quick scan and update any internal pointers - but it shouldn't have gone through the whole process of re-downloading all the meta data and creating all the items again.

I did have the scanner set to PLEX VIDEO SCANNER using Personal media as the agent since these are my video files culled from various places but since the data was copied from another HDD nothing changed.

I s this normal or is there a setting that should only look for CHANGED media -- copying files from a smaller to larger HDD shouldn't have CHANGD any content.

Not a mega problem as I don't need to move media files often -- I was just swapping HDD's in my NAS for much bigger ones however I was really curious as to why the library gets updated in its entirety again.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 21, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Dec 21, 2016
  3. D-K-S Win User
    Copied C:\ to new larger HDD - how do I make it bootable?

Hi Andre -

Sorry I missed your last post -

Instead of playing whack-a-mole I did a clean install on the HDD but something interesting happened that I'm having difficulty understanding.

Prior to upgrading the clean install I had kept my original C: drive "untouched". I tried booting from my original C: drive and received the Boot files not found - or something similar.

Any reason you can think of why the original bootable C: drive is no longer booting? Could it be a disk management issue?

In the screenshot below the the original HDD ( C:\) drive is showing up as F:

PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update [​IMG]

Thx!

D-K-S, Dec 21, 2016
  4. PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update

I think thats normal for it to rescan when things have moved

The recommended way, to prevent re downloading metadata

Add the new drive and add this as a new a folder for your library, so it points to original and new (new is empty at this point)
    Copy your media to the new location
    Plex will now scan this and show all your media as being duplicated (no re downloading as metadata is already there, each movie etc will show there are 2 versions, this scan should be fairly quick)
    delete/remove the old drive and then empty trash in plex

I have tried before replacing drives for plex media, and doing a replace will make it rebuild the library
    having the old & new media locations there while doing it prevents this and it matches the 2 together and recognises it already has the media

paulsalter, Dec 21, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks

Great tip - will remember for next time. !!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update

1. PLEX Server - copied library to larger HDD - now it does a new update - Similar Threads - PLEX Server copied

2. Install Larger HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Larger HDD: I run a dual boot system - W10 and Linux Mint - from the same HDD. There is very little space left on the W10 partition 30GB and I cannot run updates. The HDD is very old and needs replacement. How to do a clean install of W10 on a new 4TB HDD without producing two W10...
  3. Power Plan for Plex Server

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Power Plan for Plex Server: Running a plex server from laptop, I have it set to never sleep. I'm not worried about power consumption only hardware degradation. Anyone here who's running plex do you keep your server on 24/7? submitted by /u/ImpossibleKFC [link] [comments]...
  4. After PLEX update program unusable, can't find server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After PLEX update program unusable, can't find server: The last time I logged into PLEX, I saw the message to update. I did. Now PLEX says my Plex Server is unavailable. After trying everything I could think of, I decided to completely uninstall PLEX. I'm not sure I accomplished that correctly since I cannot reinstall PLEX MEDIA...
  5. After PLEX update program unusable, can't find server

in Windows 10 Support
    After PLEX update program unusable, can't find server: The last time I logged into PLEX, I saw the message to update. I did. Now PLEX says my Plex Server is unavailable. After trying everything I could think of, I decided to completely uninstall PLEX. I'm not sure I accomplished that correctly since I cannot reinstall PLEX MEDIA...
  6. PLEX - update single library in a set ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PLEX - update single library in a set ?: Hi there If you have PLEX MEDIA server and several Libraries e,g Movies, TV series, BBC, Music and you just add say content to TV series is it possible to get PLEX to just update that library rather than scan the entire Library set -- scanning doesn't take too long but it...
  7. Plex media server, unable to download or sign in

Plex media server, unable to download or sign in: Hello! My Plex media server used to work fine, until recently. Now I'm unable to sign in or connect to plex.tv at all. Also trying to re-install plex media server via browser (chrome, edge, firefox) only leads to a spinning loading circle. Pictures attached, feel free to ask...
  8. Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries

Plex media server -new version needs WRITE access to update libraries: Hi there I'm not sure why PLEX needs full write access on your media libraries to update its database. Only granting READ access I notice that a library update doesn't include the new media files I've added. READ/WRITE access -- no problems. I can't see though that...
  9. Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD

Need Help Migrating Upgraded HDD to larger HDD: I'm trying to migrate my Win10x64 OS and apps (not concerned about data) to a larger HDD by using several software apps (Acronis, AOEMI Partition Assistant) in Clone or Copy or Migrate modes. So far, none of them will boot when the older boot drive is disconnected or...
  10. Copy OS to new HDD

Copy OS to new HDD: Hi all, Installed 2nd larger HD, could you help with the easiest way to copy the current c drive including os to the new drive please. Many thanks Paul 104991

Users found this page by searching for:

1. plex server createsnew library instead of connecting to existing

2. plex server move database folder