Windows 10: Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which?

Discus and support Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; In the past I have used physically mirrored "RAID 1" setup for failover assurance - if one drive fails, nothing is lost, quick restart interval. From... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by cognus, Mar 7, 2020.

1. cognus Win User

Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which?

In the past I have used physically mirrored "RAID 1" setup for failover assurance - if one drive fails, nothing is lost, quick restart interval. From what I am reading, lots of users have moved away from that model to other things - but what? I read that Windows 10 Storage Spaces is supposed to accomodate the need, but which method is best? Or 3rd party. I am handy with Macrium Reflect and use it on my own home network, but it doesn't offer the "quick" route to recovery and does require some user intervention, which some ordinary users will adjust to and some will not.

The system at hand is an upgrade of an older Windows 7 rig that had physically mirrored drives its whole life, both in perfect condition and the "insurance policy" never had to be triggered. But it never suffered a Ransomware attack either, which would have cratered everything. So I have a modern HP Prodesk, and a pair of Samsung SSD's, and can certainly employ an offline backup and will be recommending that, regardless of the online redundancy method.

What is your suggestion?

:)

cognus, Mar 7, 2020

2. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which? :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Mar 7, 2020
  3. Failed Redundancy on Mirrored drives

I have two drives that are mirrored. Currently they both show a status of "Failed Redundancy (Page File)". Both drives show that they are Online and present there is no indication of why the redundancy has failed. What is the best course of action to get
    back to a "Healthy" condition and get the volume operating properly again with out loosing any data?

GaleIverson, Mar 7, 2020
  4. Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which?

recovering data possible dead hard drive

Hello, @victorm294!

Well, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident with the WD HDD.
    I'd still advise to try that WD drive on another PC just in case, and see if it will get detected there, or if it even spins up. You also mentioned you checked all connections, but did you try connecting the WD drive with a different SATA cable?

If none of these worked, then recovering your data might be a lot more difficult. *Frown Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which? :(
    I'd suggest to turn to a professional data recovery, it also won't hurt to try what @RCoon suggested. However I'm not sure it's going to work, if the drive doesn't even spin up.
    Data recovery companies are costly indeed, but if your files are that important, I'm not sure you have any other choice.
    If the drive doesn't even spin up, we are most probably facing a physical damage from the power surge. This means you won't be able to fix it yourself. HDD physical repairs require a clean environment and technical knowledge of the HDD's structure and components.

My suggestion would be to get in touch with such a company and explain your situation, hopefully the repair will be affordable. Here's a list of all our data recovery partners worldwide: http://goo.gl/kkn4Vs

Just a tip: This is exactly why we recommend keeping backups offsite as well, power surges/system failures can result in such unpleasant situations. :/

I hope this helps you!
    And if you need further assistance or more information,
    I'd suggest to contact our tech support:
    http://goo.gl/BXehMx

Good luck, @victorm294!

P.S. Thank you for notifying me, @RCoon! *Smile Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which? :)

SuperSoph_WD, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which?

1. Pls Advise: Data or Drive Redundancy in 2020: Which? - Similar Threads - Pls Advise Data

2. Disk drive cannot initialize: Data error cyclic redundancy check

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk drive cannot initialize: Data error cyclic redundancy check: Hello !My relatively recent disk stopped working when trying to access files, it showed the error of the title, and now, it doesn't even have a letter assigned anymore. I've tried, using diskpart/disk manager to initialize the disk/format it, but the error kept showing up....
  3. Disk drive cannot initialize: Data error cyclic redundancy check

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk drive cannot initialize: Data error cyclic redundancy check: Hello !My relatively recent disk stopped working when trying to access files, it showed the error of the title, and now, it doesn't even have a letter assigned anymore. I've tried, using diskpart/disk manager to initialize the disk/format it, but the error kept showing up....
  4. Disk drive cannot initialize: Data error cyclic redundancy check

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. DiskPart error, Data error cyclic redundancy check

in Windows 10 News
    DiskPart error, Data error cyclic redundancy check: [ATTACH]While running the DiskPart on your computer, if you get an error saying DiskPart has encountered an error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check), here is how you can fix the issue. There could be various reasons why you are getting this error on your computer, and this...
  6. Data error cylyic redundency check

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data error cylyic redundency check: Hello, I recently disconnected one of my SSD hardrives then reconnected it soon after. I have been trying to initialize it but the "Data error cyclic redundancy check" error shows up. All of the fixes online don't seem to have the same problem.Best regards,Gabe...
  7. Data error cylyic redundency check

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Data error cylyic redundency check: Hello, I recently disconnected one of my SSD hardrives then reconnected it soon after. I have been trying to initialize it but the "Data error cyclic redundancy check" error shows up. All of the fixes online don't seem to have the same problem.Best regards,Gabe...
  8. Data error cylyic redundency check

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Which Data Should Go no Which Drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which Data Should Go no Which Drive?: I have a 1TB Hard Drive and a 512GB SSD. How do I make it so Windows boots up on my SSD, and what are your recommendations on what should go on my SSD, and what should go on my Hard Drive? I’m new to PC gaming, so I would appreciate all of your help. (Edit: sorry about title,...
  10. Failed Redundancy on Mirrored drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Failed Redundancy on Mirrored drives: I have two drives that are mirrored. Currently they both show a status of "Failed Redundancy Page File". Both drives show that they are Online and present there is no indication of why the redundancy has failed. What is the best course of action to get back to a "Healthy"...