Windows 10: Plug and Play Printer? Not on Windows 10, Apparently!

Discus and support Plug and Play Printer? Not on Windows 10, Apparently! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How is it that Windows 10 has been designed in such a way as to fail to recognize simple USB connections to basic hardware? I'm attempting to print... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tathrin, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Tathrin Win User

Plug and Play Printer? Not on Windows 10, Apparently!

How is it that Windows 10 has been designed in such a way as to fail to recognize simple USB connections to basic hardware? I'm attempting to print something on my trust Canon i860 Inkjet. I have never had a serious problem with this printer before which makes it unique among printers in my experience; hence the fact that I'm still using a printer from almost 20 years ago and not any of the other newer printers that have been purchased, used, and discarded when they failed and broke over the years since. So to take that off the table right out of the gate: I'm not interested in getting a new

:)

Tathrin, Sep 18, 2021
  2. Arul_D Win User

My plug and play is still on running after 2.5 Hours

Hi Declan,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to stop the plug and play service and again start the service and check the status of this issue. Follow the steps below to stop the Plug and Play service.

• Press Windows Key + R key

• Type “Services.msc” and press Enter

• Right click on Plug and Play and click on stop

• Again start the service.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Arul_D, Sep 18, 2021
  3. Can't get my HP Printer to work on Windows 10

Greg,

I am having the same issues with my HP3600n Color LaserJet not working after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have followed your November 8th Post, details below:

Step 1 - Plug printer in by USB, power on printer, watch for animation in System Tray shown while searching for driver.

• There was no animation in the system try after plugging in the USB cable and powering on the printer.

Click on it to monitor driver install. It may ask to go to Windows Update to pull in the driver.

Step 2 - Type Devices and Printers in Start Search box, open location, do you see the printer there?

• Yes. The printer is listed.
    • Set as Default, if it won't print right click to Troubleshoot.
      • The printer responds to a print request but, instead of printing the sent job it prints out a PCL error as follows:
    PCL XL error

Subsystem KERNEL

Error: IllegalTag

Operator: 0x98

Position: 3

Step 4 - Typed "Update" in Start Search box, Check for Updates, install all including Recommended, expediting restart when requested, going back to Check for more until none are offered.

• Received notification "Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, 2:52 PM (it is now 2:52 PM)

Did the printer driver arrive? No.

Step 5 - Download the basic driver (if no scan) or software (if scanning needed) package for the printer from the HP Support Downloads webpage for your exact make/model. Install the software with the printer USB unplugged, wait for it to prompt to plug
    it in.

Let us know how this works. It may require a few extra steps.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03515691

• Downloaded Dot4x64.msi from HP support. Installed the software (with printer USB unplugged), plugged it in when prompted. This driver did not work. I received the same KERNEL error as above.

• Downloaded HP_CLJ3600_64Bit_HB.exe from HP support. Installed the software (with printer USB unplugged), plugged it in when prompted. This driver did not work. I received the same KERNEL error as above.

So, at this point, I have followed all steps with no success. I can "see" the printer in Devices and Printers however, the printer ICON doesn't look like a HP3600n, it is the Windows default printer ICON. Normally when the properly drivers are installed
    the ICON is customized to look like the installed device or printer.

Do you have any other suggestions that I might try?

Thanks!

Dave Williams

David T. Williams, Sep 18, 2021
  4. Plug and Play Printer? Not on Windows 10, Apparently!

Windows 10 update cause printer problem with: "Printer not activated - Error - 20"

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the printer after the Windows Update, we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • How is the printer connected to the computer, locally or through network?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue?

I suggest you to try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the drivers for printer and check.

• Right click on the Start button from the desktop and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate and expand Print queue.

• Right-click on the printer driver
      that is listed and click Update driver software.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the printer troubleshooter from
    Fix printer problems
    and then check if this fixes the issue.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue and required information, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 18, 2021
Thema:

Plug and Play Printer? Not on Windows 10, Apparently!

1. Plug and Play Printer? Not on Windows 10, Apparently! - Similar Threads - Plug Play Printer

2. windows 10 does not see my plug and play camera

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 does not see my plug and play camera: I bought and plug and plasy webcam with microphone. the microphoned works perfectly by windows does not see the camera. it's not listed on device manager. don't know what to do?...
  3. windows 10 does not see my plug and play camera

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 does not see my plug and play camera: I bought and plug and plasy webcam with microphone. the microphoned works perfectly by windows does not see the camera. it's not listed on device manager. don't know what to do?...
  4. Windows 10, plug and play sound

Windows 10, plug and play sound: My windows 10 constantly keeps making the plug and play sound. It does it with nothing plugged into any of my USB ports. In fact, I have nothing external plugged into my laptop. My Windows 10 is up to date. All my drivers are up to date. Why is the happening? How can I figure...
  5. plug-and-play device

plug-and-play device: So I don't know why but for a few days my pc crashes or got blue screns with the error codes: irql not less or equal kmode exception not handled kernel security check failure I looked in the program perform record what the problem is and it turned out that there is an...
  6. Plug & Play

Plug & Play: My laptop upgraded to Windows 10 won't recognize my mp3 player or my phone when I plug them in via USB. The computer doesn't warn me that the drivers are missing, it doesn't even acknowledge that they are plugged in. It does power either device when they are plugged in, but I...
  7. Why is windows 10 not plug and play

Why is windows 10 not plug and play: Under windows 7 life was so simple. Go to my computer and you see C; D: and DVD E: Now plug in a tablet, camera or phone and it automatically appears. My samsung tablet does not appear. 135194
  8. Why is windows 10 not plug and play

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is windows 10 not plug and play: Under windows 7 life was so simple. Go to my computer and you see C; D: and DVD E: Now plug in a tablet, camera or phone and it automatically appears. My samsung tablet does not appear. 135194
  9. Windows 10 Plug and Play

Windows 10 Plug and Play: Windows 10 Plug and Play does not work on Life Zed Air Plus? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-plug-and-play/f4bef6c6-41b4-491e-bc5f-c1e221db0e89
  10. Plug and Play

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Plug and Play: Plug and Play will not recognize USB connection of exterior WD1000 hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/plug-and-play/99cc0501-49ca-481d-bde7-1a0b9100f1f3