Windows 10: Plugged in, not charging

Discus and support Plugged in, not charging in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The battery in my computer is at 1% and it is plugged in, but it isn't charging. It just says plugged in, not charging. It has turned off a few times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by carp, Feb 7, 2017.

1. carp Win User

Plugged in, not charging

The battery in my computer is at 1% and it is plugged in, but it isn't charging. It just says plugged in, not charging. It has turned off a few times and said that the wattage of the ac power adapter couldn't be determined, but it usually goes away when I unplug and then plug back in the power cord. How do I fix this?

:)

carp, Feb 7, 2017

2. Charging issue "Plugged in, not Charging"

Maybe your O/S just isn't seeing how much the battery is charged. Can you go into the BIOS and see how much the battery is charged? Login. Let sit for an hour, then go back to BIOS and has the battery charged any?

Solar-Eclipse, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Charging issue "Plugged in, not Charging"

Did you try a new battery?

Solar-Eclipse, Feb 7, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Plugged in, not charging

There may be a fault with the battery, the charger or both - or it could just be that the charging circuit has got confused.

Try shutting down the PC, remove the battery then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. This will discharge any residual power and reset the charging circuitry. Now put the battery back in, reconnect the power cord but don't turn the PC on yet. Does the charging light come on? If so, leave it and see if it goes to a full charge.

If the charger is OK you should be able to run the PC on the charger alone, with the battery removed. Can you?

To check the health of the battery, open a command prompt and type:
    powercfg /batteryreport
    This will generate the file battery-report.html which you can click on to open and read in your browser. In particular, look to see if the full charge capacity is significantly lower than the design capacity.

Bree, Feb 7, 2017
  5. carp Win User
    To remove the battery, I would have to take the screws out. It is now saying that it is charging. It is at 40% and still charging.

carp, Feb 7, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    On my laptops the battery just unclips. Some can be more tricky to replace. What model is yours?

Bree, Feb 7, 2017
  7. carp Win User
    It is an Inspiron 13-7359.

carp, Feb 7, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Plugged in, not charging

Dell seem to use an ID connection in their power adapter cord in addition to the +/- power connections. If this pin is damaged or not connecting properly when plugged in it can cause the 'wattage of the ac power adapter couldn't be determined' messages. If this is your problem, then it may be in the cord plug or the socket on the PC, examine both carefully for signs of damage. See:

AC Adapter Error Message Occurs | Dell

Bree, Feb 8, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    Be sure you are using a Dell Power Adapter for that model. If it is not the correct power adapter, you will get that message.
    Boot into Setup (Bios) and go to the Adapter Warning heading on the left side and Uncheck the box. If the charger is charging the battery, you will no longer get the message.

spunk, Feb 8, 2017
  10. carp Win User
    I found my spare charger and now it is charging!

11. carp Win User
    It was working for a while, but I am having the same issue again with the spare charger.

12. Bree New Member
  13. Plugged in, not charging

I have a question regarding this whole "plugged in, not charging" issue. Four days ago, my Windows 10 tablet started having this issue. I managed to resolve it by turning it off, removing the attachable keyboard, and then plugging it in. As long as I do this now, it charges. Then, two days ago, I started having this issue with my HP, Windows 10 notebook. I thought it was pretty crazy that two of my devices would have the same problem, but I manage to resolve it in a similar way; that is, I have to now completely shut down the device to charge it. And now, today, my regular Asus, Windows 8 laptop is suddenly having the exact same issue. It is plugged in, but not charging. (I still have to figure out how to resolve this on the laptop, but I assume it's going to be the same fix as the notebook.) How can three such different devices all be having the same exact problem? And how can this problem all occur within a few days of each other? Is this some sort of weird Windows glitch?

KathyRunkle, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Plugged in, not charging

1. Plugged in, not charging - Similar Threads - Plugged charging

2. My battery isn't detecting, it's not the charger it's not the charging port, it's plugged...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My battery isn't detecting, it's not the charger it's not the charging port, it's plugged...: I got this laptop before February it was refurbished, I plugged it in and waited 5 hours and at first it was charging very fast it was almost halfway charged and when I go to turn it on it suddenly said low battery and then I looked and seen that there was no battery icon at...
  3. My battery isn't detecting, it's not the charger it's not the charging port, it's plugged...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My battery isn't detecting, it's not the charger it's not the charging port, it's plugged...: I got this laptop before February it was refurbished, I plugged it in and waited 5 hours and at first it was charging very fast it was almost halfway charged and when I go to turn it on it suddenly said low battery and then I looked and seen that there was no battery icon at...
  4. My laptop wont stay on without my charging cable plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop wont stay on without my charging cable plugged in: My windows 11 laptop wont stay on without my charging cable plugged in ı tried troubleshooting but it didn't workı researched and checked the batteryreport with command prompt but that didn't do anything either...
  5. My laptop wont stay on without my charging cable plugged in

My laptop wont stay on without my charging cable plugged in: My windows 11 laptop wont stay on without my charging cable plugged in ı tried troubleshooting but it didn't workı researched and checked the batteryreport with command prompt but that didn't do anything either...
  6. Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in: My Laptop is a Dell Latitude with Windows 11 on it, and it says it's charging but it's not plugged in at all. I've reseted it three times and updated my computer just to make sure, but it still says it's charging. The battery light that shows when it's charging is still one,...
  7. Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in

Windows 11 Laptop says it's charging, it's not plugged in: My Laptop is a Dell Latitude with Windows 11 on it, and it says it's charging but it's not plugged in at all. I've reseted it three times and updated my computer just to make sure, but it still says it's charging. The battery light that shows when it's charging is still one,...
  8. Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 2, battery not charging at all. Only works when plugged in.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 2, battery not charging at all. Only works when plugged in.: For about a week and a half I have been dealing with this and have been trying to figure out what to do. Just about at the point where I am going to take it to the local laptop repair shop. I have used this laptop for 4 years. Constanalty running BIM and design software and...
  9. Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 2, battery not charging at all. Only works when plugged in.

Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Gen 2, battery not charging at all. Only works when plugged in.: For about a week and a half I have been dealing with this and have been trying to figure out what to do. Just about at the point where I am going to take it to the local laptop repair shop. I have used this laptop for 4 years. Constanalty running BIM and design software and...
  10. I have a Asus A17 Laptop when I plug the charger it gives me high ping while charging and...

I have a Asus A17 Laptop when I plug the charger it gives me high ping while charging and...: Device:- Asus A17 Laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-asus-a17-laptop-when-i-plug-the-charger/2aa4bae3-1107-4b07-88a2-93b19adea0bb