Windows 10: plugging in Headphones not remembering previous volume

Discus and support plugging in Headphones not remembering previous volume in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I posted this on tomshardware but had no luck, including original post. Recently without warning or any reason that I could think of something has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Wiseguy724, Nov 29, 2019.

1. plugging in Headphones not remembering previous volume

I posted this on tomshardware but had no luck, including original post.

Recently without warning or any reason that I could think of something has changed with my headphones, or rather with windows. I used to plug them in along with the separate mic cable into the appropriate front panel jacks, and it would go back to the previous master volume setting, which was typically around 10-15. A master above 20 would nearly be deafening with headphones on. When I would unplug them, the master returned to 100, and sound would return out my speakers as normal. Now all of a sudden when I plug them in, my master volume goes down to something like the 50's or 60s, and I can barely hear it. it's almost like this new volume setting I get when I plug them in was on a different scale. I have no idea what caused this, I haven't been able to fix it, but a restart always seems to fix it. Any ideas? I don't want to have to restart my computer every time I want to play games with my friends.

when I plug in headphones, the volume mixer changes to headphones (High Definition Audio Device),

This shows the sound level returning to it's previous level. When I unplug, it changes to speakers and goes back to 100%. Sometimes when I plug in it goes to 60% and i can't hear much, so I restart, then plug the headphones back in and it goes to 16% and it's very loud, I wouldn't raise it above 18 for any reason.

Restarting with headphones in or out doesn't seem to effect it, I also tried putting the computer to sleep and waking it to see if its a wake-up issue but that won't replicate it either. For a certain period of time it will auto plug in to the "16% is plenty loud" range, then after some event that I can't track, when I plug in headphones it goes to that "60% and barely loud enough" range.

I think it might be related to an audio driver update but I'm just guessing at this point. Nobody that I know has heard of anything like this before.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...bering-previous-volume.3522254/#post-21352317

submitted by /u/Wiseguy724
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Wiseguy724, Nov 29, 2019
  2. TomBrad95 Win User

Ringer volume glitches when headphones are plugged in

For your first problem, the ringer volume is only for when you haven't got your headphones plugged in, when you have the headphones plugged in the volume corresponds with that, the sound also comes out of the speakers incase you have taken then off but forgotten
    to unplug them.

Do you unplug the headphones when you answer the call? I suggest unplugging the headphones for the duration of the call then immediately plug them back in again.

TomBrad95, Nov 29, 2019
  3. David Has Win User
    Keep volume level when plugging in headphones

Hello,

the system changes the volume when I plug headphones into my laptop's audio jack. When I unplug them, the volume returns back to its original setting.

So the system remembers volume setting for each individual device. This feature may be useful, but I find it quite annoying. For example, when you turn the sound off with the headphones plugged in, but then unplug them, the sound is back on, which you may
    not notice.

There seems to be a lot of question on the topic "How to have separate volume for speakers and headphones?", however, I failed to found one asking the opposite.

How could I disable the sound changing in Windows 10?

Thank you for your answers.

David Has, Nov 29, 2019
  4. plugging in Headphones not remembering previous volume

Lumia 925 does not remember headphones volume setting

Okay, this is what's happening:

I play a song using the in-built music player, and headphones on.

It starts playing the song at volume 13.

I turn up volume to 30.

Then i stop the music player, remove headphones, and switch OFF the phone.

Turn the phone back ON, plug headphones back in, launch the music player and play a song- volume is reset to 13 (does not stay at 30).

Other volume settings (Ringtone volume, Media+App volume) are remembered.

Is this a bug in WP 8.1 update 1? Is this a problem with my phone?

Is there a way to fix it without performing a factory reset? I have like 55 apps installed, don't want to re-install all those all over again just to fix this minor glitch.

Thanks.

windowsforme, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

plugging in Headphones not remembering previous volume

1. plugging in Headphones not remembering previous volume - Similar Threads - plugging Headphones remembering

2. Cannot control volume when headphones plugged into laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot control volume when headphones plugged into laptop.: When I'm not using headphones I can control the volume just fine, although as soon as I plug them in it changes the volume to what I think may be around 30 and I can't control the volume after. No matter what the slider says the volume is, even when it is muted, it still...
  3. No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume: Hello Everyone, about 80% of domain joined computers have gotten the Red x. After troubleshooting we found a quick fix rather then imaging the whole computer. The fix was going to Registry Editor as admin and following this path...
  4. No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume: Hello Everyone, about 80% of domain joined computers have gotten the Red x. After troubleshooting we found a quick fix rather then imaging the whole computer. The fix was going to Registry Editor as admin and following this path...
  5. No speakers or headphones are plugged in Red X on volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Volume mixer not remembering volumes: Once a sepcific volume has been set for an application, it usually remains until the next time its been touched again. However here, everytime I change the volume and restart the application, it just falls back in line with the system volume. I am unaware of this happening...
  7. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Volume mixer not remembering volumes: Once a sepcific volume has been set for an application, it usually remains until the next time its been touched again. However here, everytime I change the volume and restart the application, it just falls back in line with the system volume. I am unaware of this happening...
  8. Volume mixer not remembering volumes

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Low volume after plugging headphones in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Low volume after plugging headphones in: As the title says, i have low volume if I plug my headphones (Superlux HD681 EVO) in. Even if I turn it up to 100, it's barely as loud as 30. Rebooting my PC fixes this issue. Has been an issue for a while now but i needed to reproduce it first. Also happens in the last...
  10. Keep volume level when plugging in headphones

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keep volume level when plugging in headphones: Hello, the system changes the volume when I plug headphones into my laptop's audio jack. When I unplug them, the volume returns back to its original setting. So the system remembers volume setting for each individual device. This feature may be useful, but I find it quite...