Windows 10: Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows

Discus and support Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, When attempting to plug in a relatively old steering wheel (not designed specifically for Windows, but has worked perfectly until only last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gillythekid02, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows

Hello,

When attempting to plug in a relatively old steering wheel (not designed specifically for Windows, but has worked perfectly until only last night), a black screen appears straight after plugging it in, along with a full crash of Windows 10. No blue screen appears, however, but Windows only restarts properly once I remove the device. I checked the BIOS to see if Windows was trying to boot from the USB (for whatever reason), but only my boot M.2 drive appears. I did have to reformat Windows the other day due to a fault with the sign-in service, so I don't know whether updated drivers, or a change of drivers may have caused this issue. I am not able to update the drivers to the device as the black screen immediately after plugging it in prevents me from accessing any driver service.

I also checked to see whether the device itself was broken, so plugged it in to another Windows 10 device (albeit the device is relatively older and runs an outdated version of Windows 10 (not too sure the specific version)). The device worked perfectly on that computer, without any crashes or black/blue screens. The only thing I can conclude from this is that the Windows 2004 update has either stopped supporting the type of USB that my device has (although if that is the case, then it would have stopped working long before it did) or the updated drivers to my USB host controller has stopped supporting the USB of my device.

Any help would be appreciated as this is a device I use a lot on a daily basis, so am really missing being able to use it.

Thanks,

Will

Quick edit - only this USB device crashes Windows. All other USB devices are fine.

submitted by /u/gillythekid02
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gillythekid02, Aug 21, 2020

2. external usb causing windows 10 to crash

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but this seemed like the most relevant place to post it.

Iv'e got a 500GB external USB 3.0 that is causing my pc to crash upon being plugged in.

The process of what's happening is -

1) Plug the usb in
    2) go to windows explorer and try to open the external drive to view the files
    3) windows explorer freezes and locks up
    4) windows displays a black screen until you restart the pc.

Things iv'e tried so far -

• Uninstalling the USB via the device manager and re-installing
    • Scanning the device for any issues (none found)
    • Removing and installing drivers from the manufacturers website
    • Attempting to load the USB via EaseUS data recovery tool (Attempts to read the usb and then crashes)

Any ideas as to what else i can try ? The information on the usb is quite important and i would like to recover as much of it as possible.

user697751, Aug 21, 2020
  3. jds63 Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

So this is not a BSOD ? Have a Windows 10 disc or USB Flash Drive made ? How are you getting to task manager Ctrl.+Alt+Del ? Any cursor on screen ?

jds63, Aug 21, 2020
  4. zplugger Win User

Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows

Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows

1. Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows - Similar Threads - Plugging specific USB

2. nvlddmkm causing black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    nvlddmkm causing black screen: Nvlddmkm is causing my computer to black screen randomly. I cannot use any program without it doing this. It is event id 14. Here is what it says.The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed...
  3. nvlddmkm causing black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    nvlddmkm causing black screen: Nvlddmkm is causing my computer to black screen randomly. I cannot use any program without it doing this. It is event id 14. Here is what it says.The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed...
  4. Black screen when charger is plugged

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen when charger is plugged: Black screen when charger is plugged Hi. I have recently bought a laptop - ASUS TUF Gaming F15. I don't know if it was like that since the first time I bought it, but whenever I plug the charger, the screen temporarily turns black and then goes back to normal....
  5. Black screen when charger is plugged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen when charger is plugged: Hi. I have recently bought a laptop - ASUS TUF Gaming F15. I don't know if it was like that since the first time I bought it, but whenever I plug the charger, the screen temporarily turns black and then goes back to normal.What can I do to stop it from turning black, or is it...
  6. Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC: Winows Version: 20H2 Hi, I have been getting black screen crashes on my PC for a few weeks now and not being able to find the cause is driving me nuts. I was wondering if anyone could help me out? Here is the description of what happened the first time: -This happens while...
  7. Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC

Unable to find the root cause of black screen crashes on PC: Winows Version: 20H2 Hi, I have been getting black screen crashes on my PC for a few weeks now and not being able to find the cause is driving me nuts. I was wondering if anyone could help me out? Here is the description of what happened the first time: -This happens while...
  8. Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in

in Windows 10 Support
    Intermittent laptop crashes to black screen only while plugged in: Hi all! Ive been having this strange lock up/crash issue with my HP Pavilion 15 (model cs0xxx - See specs), and I suspect it is a BIOS update, a missing or malfunctioning driver, or (hopefully not) a hardware issue. (The issue started some time after I reinstalled Windows...
  9. Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows

Plugging in specific USB causes a black screen and a crash of Windows: Hello, When attempting to plug in a relatively old steering wheel not designed specifically for Windows, but has worked perfectly until only last night, a black screen appears straight after plugging it in, along with a full crash of Windows 10. No blue screen appears,...
  10. Plugging in my phone or any USB memory card causes blue screen memory management crash.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Plugging in my phone or any USB memory card causes blue screen memory management crash.: If it's already plugged in when the pc is booting then no issues. Also crashes when device is unplugged. Been having this problem sincefor 2 or three months now. Windows 10 home Version 1909 Os build 18363.836 16 ram Amd fx 8320 8core It's the same if I use USB 3.0 or...