Windows 10: png icon doesn't display properly on actual desktop

Discus and support png icon doesn't display properly on actual desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Using Win 10 Pro, Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393. I used Nirsoft's FileTypesManager to change the icon for .png files. This works for all .png files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phrab, Jul 9, 2017.

1. phrab Win User

png icon doesn't display properly on actual desktop

Using Win 10 Pro, Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393. I used Nirsoft's FileTypesManager to change the icon for .png files. This works for all .png files that I see in Windows Explorer (in any folder), the recycle bin, & even the Desktop folder if viewed in Windows Explorer.

However, it doesn't show up on my actual desktop. In fact, if I open IrfanView (my preferred image editor), paste an image & save it on my desktop as a .png, this is what happens.
    1. The correct icon flashes
    2. then it changes to a different icon & a thumbs.db file is created on the desktop

Somehow, I think that new image files are created as thumbnails, but I don't know why. I do have my pictures folder viewed as large icons, but my actual desktop is viewed as small icons.

How can I view .png files (or other image files) just as their default icons on my desktop?
    Thank you in advance,

:)

phrab, Jul 9, 2017

2. Build 14271 - dual display - taskbar problem with auto hide on

Just been upgraded to 14271 and now the taskbar on my laptop display is blank if I have auto hide turned on. The taskbar top edge is shown but the actual desktop is visible through the taskbar area and there are no icons displayed. The taskbar on the
    second display is populated properly. Is there a fix please?

df64e225-1fd1-47da-91d8-004e3c5fc2bf, Jul 9, 2017
  3. EddieTr Win User
    How can I see short cuts placed on desktop?

not really helpful...the icons still appear in ThisPC/Desktop but doesn't appear on the actual desktop.

EddieTr, Jul 9, 2017
Thema:

png icon doesn't display properly on actual desktop

1. png icon doesn't display properly on actual desktop - Similar Threads - png icon doesn't

2. Desktop icons not aligning properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons not aligning properly: Hello, is it possible to adjust desktop icon width? I know you're able to change the height by holding CTRL and scrolling, but I'm trying to reduce the width. It may be easier to explain with an image, so here: [ATTACH] Ever since getting a second monitor, for some reason,...
  3. Taskbar icons not displaying properly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar icons not displaying properly?: [IMG] submitted by /u/DanganKichi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jxyfpk/taskbar_icons_not_displaying_properly/
  4. Icons in the start menu are not displaying properly

Icons in the start menu are not displaying properly: Hi Recently I have reinstalled the windows using fresh start by keeping all my personnel files and deleting all the applications. After the installation, I tried to install the software and I installed all of them. But after the installation, icons are usual on the...
  5. Wifi Icon not display properly

Wifi Icon not display properly: Hi, after I update my windows 10 to latest version, the Wifi icon becomes weird. Please help. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-icon-not-display-properly/8addc47d-2e92-4d27-8022-75cc48912c4d
  6. Icons not displaying on the desktop

Icons not displaying on the desktop: No icons displaying on the desktop. Done all the things, suggested on the internet, Microsoft support and everywhere else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icons-not-displaying-on-the-desktop/dae075be-a7c2-4932-a998-60e2734684a6
  7. Folder Icons not displaying properly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Icons not displaying properly: So this happened today in the afternoon, I was trying to download a file and the folder didn't show up ( Screenshot 1), so when I went to the Drive. It was showing all the folders that I have but It was showing the Icon is a weird way ( Screenshot 2). I don't know why. Can...
  8. DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY: On window 10 on my laptop 75% of my icons are a little white box with dialogue at the bottom of them to say what they are if I enlarge them they are bigger but still a blank icon Micro Soft has suggested I reinstall windows which I did but everything is still the same...
  9. PNG files not diplaying properly,

PNG files not diplaying properly,: My PNG files no longer display properly. They were working earlier today, nothing changed. This happened once before and I was able to get the images back, but not this time!...
  10. Onedrive icons not displaying properly!

in Windows 10 Support
    Onedrive icons not displaying properly!: I have a very weird issue where the folder and file symbols associated with onedrive (sync, OK or ERROR symbols) are not displayed when navigating the onedrive folder on my PC. All the files and folders only display the sync symbol while the onedrive app in the taskbar shows...