Windows 10: Polish diacritical characters not working in Windows PowerShell

Discus and support Polish diacritical characters not working in Windows PowerShell in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Recently my business computer has been updated to Windows 10 1903. I've noticed that I can't type polish diacritical characters typed with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by GardnerPL, Jun 17, 2020.

1. GardnerPL Win User

Polish diacritical characters not working in Windows PowerShell

Hello,

Recently my business computer has been updated to Windows 10 1903. I've noticed that I can't type polish diacritical characters typed with AltGr + a, e, s, l, z, x, c or n. The only one that do work is AltGr + o. Usual tricks like using Ctrl + Alt or ~ do nothing. I've checked few scenarios and here's what I've found:

- they don't work in Windows PowerShell console, but they do work in Windows PowerShell ISE

- they don't work in Windows Terminal with Windows PowerShell profile

- they do work in PowerShell 7

- they do work in Command Line

- they do work in other system apps and installed applications

- they worked in Windows 1703

- they don't work in Windows 10 1903, 1909 and 2004

The funny thing is they started working when Windows PowerShell console is running with -noninteractive parameter, no Get-Credential or Read-Host support with that though so it is not a solution or even a bypass.

I'm using Windows PowerShell on daily basis for managing our servers, AD and Exchange and missing these letters is quite troublesome.

PS: I'm not sure have I chosen right category, I didn't notice one for PowerShell.

:)

GardnerPL, Jun 17, 2020
  2. greytezza Win User

Polish characters

I'm working on an Excel spreadsheet and I've changed to the Polish keyboard and used Alt Gr to get all the special characters and they all work fine except ziet - the z with a dot over it. Alt Gr + z gives a strange pop-up window. Any ideas?

greytezza, Jun 17, 2020
  3. Polish dictionary needs to be revised

Hi, I've found more than 120 words in Polish dictionary in Windows Phone 8 that shouldn't be there. Majority of them are just correct words but without Polish diacritic symbols that should be autocorrected to their "diacriticized" versions.

Since the list is quite long and complicated (I've put suggested autocorrections there as well) and I update it frequently, I've put it on my SkyDrive, here's the link:

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Thank you for looking into this and fixing the dictionary. If you need any further information and/or help, feel free to ask.

Wojciech Maj, Jun 17, 2020
  4. JoPenCo Win User

Problem with Arabic diacritic formatting using Character MAp

Problem with Character Map in Word. WHen I try to insert an Arabic diacritic of a dot under an 'h', for example, I get this but then also a letter space which cannot be deleted. When I try to delete the space it deletes the letter with the diacritic.

JoPenCo, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Polish diacritical characters not working in Windows PowerShell - Similar Threads - Polish diacritical characters

2. Polish keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Polish keyboard: Hello,I am trying to locate a Polish keyboard, hoping that ordering one from Poland will not be my only choice $$$.Thanks, Randy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/polish-keyboard/b5b23a26-f365-4be9-8de6-f3be2690be40
  3. Polish keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Polish keyboard: Hello,I am trying to locate a Polish keyboard, hoping that ordering one from Poland will not be my only choice $$$.Thanks, Randy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/polish-keyboard/b5b23a26-f365-4be9-8de6-f3be2690be40
  4. Keyboard Shortcuts for Diacritical Marks Not Working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard Shortcuts for Diacritical Marks Not Working: Many common shortcuts like Copy and Paste work fine, but I need to be able tp make diacritical marks. The shortcuts listed hereKeyboard shortcuts to add language accent marks in Word microsoft.comdo not work for me anywhere, including in Microsoft Word, though I need to be...
  5. Multiple Diacritics/Character Combining on a Single Character AGAIN

in Windows 10 Customization
    Multiple Diacritics/Character Combining on a Single Character AGAIN: Hello Everyone, I am trying to type a paper in the Arabic Language and I need to put more than one diacritic on a single letter. I have been trying to find a way in Word but it doesn't work. When I tried to do this in Libre Writer it works. Is there a way to make this work...
  6. Multiple Diacritics on a Single Character AGAIN

Multiple Diacritics on a Single Character AGAIN: Hello Everyone, I am trying to type a paper in the Arabic Language and I need to put more than one diacritic on a single letter. I have been trying to find a way in Word but it doesn't work. When I tried to do this in Libre Writer it works. Is there a way to make this work...
  7. One Polish character has stopped working Ł

One Polish character has stopped working Ł: Hi, I was just wondering if anyone who uses the Polish typewriter within Windows has come up against this problem and has a solution. To make the character Ł you would normally just hold down Alt-gr + L. But within the last month or so it has stopped working. All the other...
  8. Polish characters

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Polish characters: I'm working on an Excel spreadsheet and I've changed to the Polish keyboard and used Alt Gr to get all the special characters and they all work fine except ziet - the z with a dot over it. Alt Gr + z gives a strange pop-up window. Any ideas?...
  9. Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics)

Azure AD user name with special characters (diacritics): I have setup an Azure AD user with first name and last name containing diacritics (example ș and ț). At the first login of this user o an computer a profile is created and a folder in \User\ is created too from his first&last name. The issue is that not all application...
  10. Problem with Arabic diacritic formatting using Character MAp

Problem with Arabic diacritic formatting using Character MAp: Problem with Character Map in Word. WHen I try to insert an Arabic diacritic of a dot under an 'h', for example, I get this but then also a letter space which cannot be deleted. When I try to delete the space it deletes the letter with the diacritic....