Windows 10: Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell...

Discus and support Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Original post here, with poll: https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/vf5ih4/poll_when_browsing_through_folder_having_images/ submitted by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/batmanallthetime, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell...

/u/batmanallthetime, Jun 18, 2022
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell... :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jun 18, 2022
  3. Taras Win User
    Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

I'm not making any headway on answers.Microsoft.com so I'm hoping the experts here can explain why I cannot replace the Photos app with Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer (in build 10240). From all outward appearances, it seems Windows Photo Viewer is unavailable.

The saga is explained in detailed words and colorful pictures here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...2-83ece717ddfb

If that's too tl;dr for you, here are the bullet points:

• Windows Photo Viewer is never listed as an option when using "Open with".
    • "Open with" lets you browse the disk and manually select the desired program. I navigated to "\Program Files\Windows Photo Viewer" but it contains no program there other than "Imaging Devices" (wrong). Choosing "PhotoViewer.dll" produces an error message.
    • In Control Panel's "Default Program", Windows Photo Viewer is shown to be associated with TIF files and nothing else. Attempts to set JPG to use Windows Photo Viewer fail because, again, its program folder only contains "Imaging Devices" (and the dll).

In an attempt to fix this problem, I used the "nuclear option" and Reset the PC. After Windows 10 (TH1 10240) reinstalled itself, I still couldn't select Windows Photo Viewer to be the default image viewer.

Suggestions to fix this?

Taras, Jun 18, 2022
  4. MCR
    Mcr Win User

Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell...

Photos stutters too much browsing the phone images

Since few weeks ago Windows 10 can't browse images on my phone, it is able to open one then it freezes and even file explorer has a hard time switching to other folder because of that stuttering. When stuttering is over and I close the already bugged photos window that may display 'sorry photos can't open this file because the format is currently unsupported or corrupted', or it may just show a blank pure white window on the Photos app instead of displaying the image.

I have always used Windows Photo Viewer for older phone to browse png and Photos to view JPG images usually screenshots directly placed on my phone. I do not want to copy all images that I generate to the computer, I want to browse them the way I have always used, just with arrows switches and loads next image. delete image after view and so on. I have done that many times.

The idea of these apps is that they can browse your pictures in a folder of your phone like Pictures/Screenshots and open one, then see the rest without it creating a copy of the image on some hidden local PC folder.

That's a 2020 oneplus phone and if the cable is the problem, I can say I have tried:

- the data reads fine, in fact if I dont click to browse an image, I can browse the folders and copy/paste/cut just fine
    - but if it stutters on image then everything even cut and paste file on PC malfunctions
    - changing cable USB type C, to another, the problem does not go away
    - change the USB port like 3.0 to 2.0. same issue
    - I have tried doing that at work, taking one of the cables that I used and there browsing the images with Photos on my phone does not have that problem. That makes me think it is not the phone
    - In power Shell uninstalled/installed the Photos app, installed and removed from Microsoft Store
    - DISM.exe no issues found

images are 2300x1000 but that never had a problem. I would use Windows Photo Viewer but it can read older phone PNG screenshots but cannot read these large file JPGs.

I display files as Details, no list or thumbnails

I have erased Media cache on phone (again why look for problem on phone if it works fine on another laptop), power on/off phone, unplugged cable on different days

USB File Transfer is on, without it it wouldn't see the files.

Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell... [​IMG]

Unplugging the device creates 10+ 'The device has stopped responding or has been disconnected' messages, why they queued so many?

Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell... [​IMG]

Keeps installing Photos.MediaEngineDLC or whatever

Thema:

Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell...

1. Poll: When browsing through folder having images using default Photos app, does Shell... - Similar Threads - Poll browsing through

2. Photo app does not show images

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo app does not show images: Im using photo app and seeing photos that I saved for the past years. It is all memorable for me not until I see only black images on my photo app. My saved photo are all black and cant see any images on each single one of them. I reset the app and still getting the same...
  3. Photo app does not show images

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photo app does not show images: Im using photo app and seeing photos that I saved for the past years. It is all memorable for me not until I see only black images on my photo app. My saved photo are all black and cant see any images on each single one of them. I reset the app and still getting the same...
  4. the default app for opening images is not photo viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the default app for opening images is not photo viewer: So i download a image from google using save as button and when i open the image it opens paint instead of photo viewer i tried right clicking it and then click open with i went through all options but there was no photo viewer in there i tried creating a shortcut of the...
  5. Photos app - unable to slide through images in a folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos app - unable to slide through images in a folder: After updating to Windows 11, I'm having a lot of problems with the Photos App. If I upload a new folder full of images, it will only open the one that I click. On some of the other folders in pictures which have been there for a while, it will allow me to slide through and...
  6. Photos app - unable to slide through images in a folder

Photos app - unable to slide through images in a folder: After updating to Windows 11, I'm having a lot of problems with the Photos App. If I upload a new folder full of images, it will only open the one that I click. On some of the other folders in pictures which have been there for a while, it will allow me to slide through and...
  7. Photos App does not browse if I open images from some external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos App does not browse if I open images from some external drive.: This is just happened after the last update. What can I do to repair this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-does-not-browse-if-i-open-images-from/e54f36e7-e958-4d63-978f-d52689d2362f
  8. Photos App does not browse if I open images from some external drive.

Photos App does not browse if I open images from some external drive.: This is just happened after the last update. What can I do to repair this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photos-app-does-not-browse-if-i-open-images-from/e54f36e7-e958-4d63-978f-d52689d2362f
  9. Windows Library folders Crash when browsing images using arrow keys

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Library folders Crash when browsing images using arrow keys: Hello I have a windows 10 custom gaming PC, lately I've been asked to draw some D&D characters , I tend to save a lot of art references and organize them under several folders depending on their subjects. Anyways whenever I try and browse through them in the library file...
  10. Opening an image in Photos causes it to flip through all images in folder

Opening an image in Photos causes it to flip through all images in folder: I have been having this problem for a few days now. When I open up an image the photo app will flip through all the images i have in the folder and then stop on the last one. I have restored to a previous state which fixed it for a day but the next day the issue was back. I...