Windows 10: Pool Storage Issue Files gone!

Discus and support Pool Storage Issue Files gone! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I will try to make this short but informative as possible. I have a Mirrored Pooled Storage that I call Drive E. It is two 3TB drives configured... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scott_Shuttleman, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Pool Storage Issue Files gone!

I will try to make this short but informative as possible.

I have a Mirrored Pooled Storage that I call Drive E. It is two 3TB drives configured to mirror each other using the Windows 10 Storage tool. Recently I have been having space issues and need to rearrange my storage capabilities. I just bought 2 12TB drives. The plan was to pool the new drives into a NEW pool which I was going to assign to the V: drive. The current pool is assigned as E:. Once the new pool was up I was going to move the files off of Drive E onto the 12 TB drives. Then I was going to move the "old" drives to another computer.

Everything went well installing the 2 12TB drives. I had couple of issues since Windows wanted to make one of the new drives a location for Pagefile but once I reassigned that function back to my c: drive I was able to setup the new pool. So both pools E and V were showing up on my storage pool screen. But at that point I noticed the E drive appeared to be EMPTY! As my stomach began to twist I went to file explorer and it too showed I had zero items on the drive. I somehow prayed it was a error and rebooted the machine. Same issue. All 2.7ish TBs of data is gone. The whole point of me doing this was to have a mirrored back up. Now all my files are gone. I have no clue what happened. Before you asked this is what I know...

1. I did not ever delete the pool that made up Drive E

2. I did not ever knowingly reformat either hard drives that made up Drive D

3. I did not every try to add more drives to Drive E

I went straight to the internet and did not find any similar issues. I did find reference to pooled storage and drive issues but they didn't fit. Both of my drives are in good condition. There have been no errors. I'm assuming some how the drive was reformatted or the pool was recreated but don't know how that was possible. The cause right now is not important as it is a possible solution for data recovery. I found a couple of sources for data recovery and even bough one piece of software R-Studio and I"m looking at another. I did do a simple scan using R-Studio and the simple scan using the software did find some files but there are 1000's of files mainly photo type files of all varieties. So I then did a deep scan on just one of the two drives. It did "find a LOT of stuff" but the confidence level "recovery" was rated pretty low. At that point I backed up a little and did some reading and it was suggested I create images of both drives and put them on another drive. Before I move on further with more scans that take 10+ hours I figured I better take a breath and ask for some advice.

This is why I'm hear now. Is this the right path? Is there any hope? Let's assume this software "doesn't work" is there any other recourse? Is there some "better" to do than what I'm doing.

Please if there anyone out there with some very help tips I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks.

Scott

:)

Scott_Shuttleman, Mar 7, 2020

2. replacing a drive in storage pool

Hi Arni,

As you referring to replacement of failed drive under storage pool, we will help you with this issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• How exactly have you created a storage pool on your device?
    • Which is the operating system installed on your device? Confirm to us if Windows 10.
    • Is your device connected to Windows Server/ domain network?

Reply to the post with the required information and brief description about this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 7, 2020
  3. create storage pool

I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged
    in a new storage device and tried to create a new storage pool. I keep getting the error r unable to create because it is being used by other apps.

RussellGlidewell, Mar 7, 2020
  4. 333t Win User

Pool Storage Issue Files gone!

How to remove a bad drive in Windows 10 storage spaces pool

Could someone list the steps involved in replacing a bad drive from a Windows 10 storage spaces pool? I cannot find any info on the Microsoft support site that is specific to Windows 10. Also, could you list the steps to remove a 'good' drive and replace
    it with another drive if the process is different?

333t, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Pool Storage Issue Files gone!

1. Pool Storage Issue Files gone! - Similar Threads - Pool Storage Issue

2. Vrituel Disk issues Storage Pool

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vrituel Disk issues Storage Pool: i,i'am new in this forum and i don't have enough expertise in the domain of storage Pool i have an issue since last week with my server i have created a storage pool from Windows servers 2019 with 8 nas behind it and every nas have 4 disks so all the disks are healthy and...
  3. Tried creating storage pool, now my disk is unallocated and all my files are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Tried creating storage pool, now my disk is unallocated and all my files are gone: HALP! I tried creating a storage pool to backup all my files and now the disk I wanted to back up is unallocated with no access to my files. Is there a way I can revert back. I had no idea it was going to remove my partitions by adding it to a storage pool. submitted by...
  4. storage pools

storage pools: I have three 1 TB drives in my computer. Two of them are configured as a RAID1 mirrored drive, and the third drive is for backup. Today, for the first time, I became aware of storage pools, and when I explored my setup, I found that some space on my RAID1 drive is assigned to...
  5. Storage Pool

Storage Pool: My Asus VivoBook recently ran out of storage space so I have been using an external hard drive to store everything. Yet my laptop progessed into no disc space and wasn't responding to basic functions like the use of Microsoft Word. I decided to create a storage pool to allow...
  6. storage pool issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    storage pool issue: wondering if anyone could help. I used a DAS for 8 drives and used storage pool to create the raid. unfortunately, I returned the drive without deleting the storage pool in MS. Now I want to use a few of the drives but windows 10 either won't recognize the drive or kicks it...
  7. create storage pool

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    create storage pool: I had a USB storage device that became damaged and unserviceable attached to my laptop I had a storage pool with this storage device . I deleted the storage device and did the necessary steps that i know to unattached the device from the memory. I plugged in a new storage...
  8. Storage Pool missing

Storage Pool missing: Hello. I had four 4TB drives in a 8TB Storage Pool mirrored setup. I was trying to use the "Remove"-option to replace one of the disks. After clicking it, Windows became unresponsive and then bluescreen. When Windows booted back up, the Storage Pool was missing, and the...
  9. Add Storage Pool

Add Storage Pool: Hey guys, I am have trouble a storage pool to my small HP stream it comes up with error 0x00000032 If someone could give me step by step instructions on how to fix this it would be much appreciated. Thanks...
  10. Storage Pools

Storage Pools: Hello, I currently have windows 10 Home premium x64 and I am running a storage pool with no parity. I want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise and I want to know if I will lose my Storage Pool and the information in it?...