Windows 10: Poor system performance with memory compression

Discus and support Poor system performance with memory compression in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So, I'm having a hard time being convinced that memory compression (aka. Superfetch) is designed to improve system performance, because ever since I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Moofey, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Moofey Win User

Poor system performance with memory compression

So, I'm having a hard time being convinced that memory compression (aka. Superfetch) is designed to improve system performance, because ever since I upgraded to windows 10, it's been doing the exact opposite.

Now, I'm one of those guys who likes to leave their system on for long periods of time without a restart, but within less than a day of uptime, its already started to slow to a crawl.

Take for example today; I restarted my system in the morning because it was slowly being taken over by said issues. A couple of hours later I leave for work; Come back 10 and a half hours later and it takes a good minute just to load the lock screen. I stop superfetch to go back to traditional paging and lo and behold my system is running normal again.

Generally it looks like the system has about 1-1.5GB compressed after a couple hours, and when I have superfetch off I'm using up about 5 GB out of 8. My hunch right now is that my CPU just isn't able to keep up with compressing and decompressing processes while managing those that are being used actively, or that I habitually have too much crap open. (It's a notebook, AMD A10 quad core clocking in at 2.1GHz, so not that impressive.)

Besides the obvious "Close crap you aren't using!" Is there anything else I can try to to get memory compression to actually improve my system's performance rather than degrade it?

:)

Moofey, Aug 25, 2015

2. Issue with system and memory compression and multiple diplays not waking

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Are you using chrome or Firefox browsers?

If yes, you may please try disabling hardware acceleration as suggested by Broax on March 9th 2016 in the below link about a similar issue and check if it helps.

System and Memory Compression (ntoskrnl.exe) weird behavior (high CPU usage) regarding some webpages

For issue with monitors not waking from sleep:

You may create a new power plan and check if it helps.

Please use the below link as a reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/power-plans-faq#1TC=windows-8

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Aug 25, 2015
  3. Issue with system and memory compression and multiple diplays not waking

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused with Windows 10.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Did you update the drivers from the Manufacturer’s website?

2. Were you facing this issue before? Did you make any software changes to the computer prior to this issue?

3. Which diagnostic tool did you run?

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with system. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your System Maintenance.

1. Press “Windows key +X”, select “Control panel”.

2. Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press Enter.

3. Click on “troubleshooting” and click on the “view all” option on the left panel.

4. Run the “System Maintenance” troubleshooter.

5. Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.

You may use the below links as a reference for monitor wake up issue:

how to awake second display after computer went to sleep

Monitor won't wake up when coming back from sleep (Windows 7)

Hope the information helps, do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

Poor system performance with memory compression

1. Poor system performance with memory compression - Similar Threads - Poor system performance

2. Poor Performance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Poor Performance: Hi, I have a big problem with my HP laptop. It has Intel Core i3-7100U, intel graphics 620 and 4 GB ram. I don't know what to do, I've tried using CCleaner and other tutorials online but nothing worked. Seems like disk usage variates, by the time I finished writing this, disk...
  3. Poor Performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Poor Performance: Hi, I have a big problem with my HP laptop. It has Intel Core i3-7100U, intel graphics 620 and 4 GB ram. I don't know what to do, I've tried using CCleaner and other tutorials online but nothing worked. Seems like disk usage variates, by the time I finished writing this, disk...
  4. Poor Performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Poor performance

Poor performance: I have a new eurocom computer and have been having very bad performance issues. I takes like 10 minutes to even boot and the general system performance is bad once it has booted. Hard drive usage is almost always at 100% and when it isn't the computer works as it should but...
  6. Performance of System is Very poor

Performance of System is Very poor: I have facing problem regarding performance issues on my Windows 10 from few days. The Performance of the system is very poor even after Updated of Windows 10 Education. Specification of my Laptop is very good with 16GB RAM with intel core i5 processor. Some times after...
  7. System and compressed memory

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    System and compressed memory: System and compressed memory is not showing in task manager, is it because I have enough RAM? Thanks. 62163
  8. System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and Compressed Memory (High memory usage): Hello there, I am here today as I have had a problem with System and Compressed Memory since I installed Windows 10 back in December of 2015. Now keep in mind, this isn't a normal issue, as I have yet to actually find anything in regards to what to do to fix this. (I have...
  9. System and Compressed Memory

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System and Compressed Memory: Is there any way to stop the "system and compressed memory" from happening? I am so annoyed by it's constant 90% Memory usage! I used to have only 8 GB of RAM and it would use 7GB out of the whole 8GB. I recently upgraded to 16GB and everything was fine. System and Compressed...
  10. What is System and compressed memory ?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is System and compressed memory ?: Why it's taking 380MB of my memory ? Does it important or there is a way to disable it ? 44359