Windows 10: poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems

Discus and support poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; so just few hours ago I restarted my laptop, which I don't do often. After the reboot I found out that I cant connect to any network without it being... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by herbal_rage, Jul 6, 2020.

1. poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems

so just few hours ago I restarted my laptop, which I don't do often. After the reboot I found out that I cant connect to any network without it being "limited" or just "secured", with no internet connection in reality. I tried pining google for that. Trying to solve the problem I forgot the network and reconnected few times. i also tried to execute following commands into the admin command prompt "ipconfig /flushdns" and "netsh winsock reset"

which after the restart allowed me to connect but only for 3 or 4 minutes. or at least I assume that's what helped me. When running network adapter troubleshooter on my WIFI it says that no gateway is found, yet all the other devices use it perfectly. Nonetheless i did restart it as well. Just in case it works fine with connection via local hotspot from my phone, It might be worth mentioning that some time after first restart, it tried to install an update but failed, for some unknown reason as I wasn't there to monitor it.

:)

herbal_rage, Jul 6, 2020
  2. coffent Win User

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Very poor connectivity...

What wifi router/access point are you using and what Intel wifi card are you using?

By "disconnecting" do you mean that you actually see the wifi icon go to:
    poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems [​IMG]

Or does the icon stay at
    and you just see the upload fail?

PolarNettles, Jul 6, 2020
  4. poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems

Very poor connectivity...

Modem is a Zyxel C1100Z. ISP said modem was to blame. I purchased a replacement, problem persisted. Century Link replaced it and pretty much gave up. The card is
    Have never noticed if the wifi icon changes, but I will try and upload some images. Be back shortly.

doug crann, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems

1. poor WIFI connectivity and network porblems - Similar Threads - poor WIFI connectivity

2. no wifi in network connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no wifi in network connections: I can't seem to connect to wifi on my laptop after doing a factory reset. I'm really confused. when I open up network settings the wifi network is just not there....
  3. no wifi in network connections

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no wifi in network connections: I can't seem to connect to wifi on my laptop after doing a factory reset. I'm really confused. when I open up network settings the wifi network is just not there....
  4. Wifi Disappears and Connection Is Extremely Poor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Disappears and Connection Is Extremely Poor: Hi, so this problem happened on the 29th. Everything was normal, but then I moved my monitor a couple inches so it could be easily reached. After that, I noticed the wifi wasn't connected and when I clicked to connect all the networks were gone. Occasionally, my hotspot...
  5. Network Connection And Wifi

in Windows 10 Customization
    Network Connection And Wifi: Anyone know how to fix this?[IMG][IMG][IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-connection-and-wifi/5e8a6fb9-0862-4ea9-a94b-8b51e98b004f
  6. NZXT prebuilt poor WIFI connection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    NZXT prebuilt poor WIFI connection: Hey guys! So I recently got a NZXT prebuilt PC with a preinstalled WIFI Adapter and Windows 10. I've booted it up and it works fine but one major issue I'm having is with my WIFI connection. I'm getting full bars on my iPad, iPhone and MacBook but only 2-3/4 bars on my PC...
  7. WIFI and Network Connection

WIFI and Network Connection: Hi On clicking on the wifi icon on the tray, the wifi tab open with a breaking UI. Also the network and internet setting is crashing. it doesn't opens [ATTACH]...
  8. wifi network connection

wifi network connection: My wifi connection was working fine until I setup my printer canon TS3122, now my wifi network doesn't even show up on "available networks" all I see is no connection/proxy symbol. I have tried resetting my router and network reset. please help I am not computer savvy....
  9. Network with wifi connection

Network with wifi connection: Good day.. I need help with my computer I am accommodated at a place that has wifi but my computer only stays connected for like 10 seconds …. and when you stream something or are on Netflix it needs you to troubleshoot it and then it only stay connected for like 10 seconds...
  10. wifi connectivity poor after update.

wifi connectivity poor after update.: we have multiple laptops and the ones running WIN 10 keep shuting the wifi adapter off'. The fix for this was to uncheck the connect automatically box for the adapter in the notification pane. I was able to use ethernet and after getting closer to the router, I had decent...