Windows 10: Popups and freezing - Google Chrome

Discus and support Popups and freezing - Google Chrome in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I use Google Chrome web browser and recently I have been having a couple of problems: 1. It has taken to freezing when I close a tab (not every time... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pewe, Sep 15, 2015.

1. pewe Win User

Popups and freezing - Google Chrome

I use Google Chrome web browser and recently I have been having a couple of problems:
    1. It has taken to freezing when I close a tab (not every time and always a different tab)
    2. I now see ads like the attached appearing periodically in a separate popup window.

Popups and freezing - Google Chrome [​IMG]

Has anyone else seen this problem - or know how I can identify what is causing it.

Thanks

:)

2. Jaaspal Win User

"Nine has stopped working" .exe file malicious?

Every time I open up Google chrome, I get the message "Nine has stopped working" over and over for a while then it stops. I have BitDefender Internet antivirus security and it tells me that "shattered.exe" is a potentially malicious file. I try to delete
    it but the popup keeps coming up. I wonder if it is a start up program for google chrome. Google chrome works perfectly fine but that popup only comes when I open google chrome. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Jaaspal, Sep 15, 2015
  3. KenMcC Win User
    Google Chrome default popup

@Don Varnau

Your response is incorrect and perhaps you should really find and answer. Google people are the most inconsiderate on the internet! Just IMHO.

Ken

KenMcC, Sep 15, 2015
  4. Christian Win User

Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and run a scan. If you can't download from your computer because of the pop-ups, try using another computer to download the program and then put in on a flash drive and transfer/install it that way. I've seen those pop-ups many times, Malwarebytes should do the trick.

Christian, Sep 15, 2015
  5. pewe Win User
    Thanks

But if I may ask, what do you get with this tool for $25 that you don't get with the MS Malicious software removal tool?

6. Christian Win User
    All you need is the free version of Malwarebytes. I think the paid version is for real time protection but you don't really need that. I run Windows Defender along with Malwarebytes and that works just fine for me. I'm sure the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool helps a bit but Malwarebytes is a much powerful scanner that can get rid of some very nasty infections. Again, you can't beat free, right? *Smile

Christian, Sep 16, 2015
  7. pewe Win User
    Thanks Christian.

I ran MS Malicious software removal Tool (latest update) and whilst running it showed 1 file found BUT on completion reported no malicious files found ???????

So I tried your recommendation and Malwarebytes found a file - called 'PUP.Optional.Wajam' - in 3 locations.
    I'm not sure if that is the culprit - but I have quarantined them and will see what happens over the next few days.

8. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Sep 16, 2015
  9. pewe Win User
    Thanks Cliff.
    When Malwarebytes reported finding the 3 files I did a bit of searching and had found the thread you linked to.

However none of the files referred to in that thread were found - just the 3 in my AppData directory.
    Also, I could find no other reference to Wajam anywhere on my Laptop - in Control Panel or Program Files or any of the other directories mentioned in the thread.

So I am a little puzzled as I have never installed Wajam and according to MalewareBytes it is a download to install program.

Weird - but lets hope my problem has been solved by deletion of the 3 files found.

10. pewe Win User
    Unfortunately - the ads are back.

I rebooted the computer yesterday and although I have had no popup ads since my last post 2 days ago, as soon as I opened my browser after the re-boot - there popped up an ad.

I ran MalwareBytes again, and as I suspected would be the case it found nothing.

Why has this started again after a re-boot?
    Why is MalwareBytes not finding the culprit?

Anyone any thoughts on how else I find the culprit and zap it?

11. Cluster Head, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Popups and freezing - Google Chrome - Similar Threads - Popups freezing Google

2. Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Google Chrome: How do I switch to S mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome/76f3fb96-9af4-4c8a-a47a-3a93b9462798
  3. Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google Chrome: How do I switch to S mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome/76f3fb96-9af4-4c8a-a47a-3a93b9462798
  4. Google Chrome Freezing

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome Freezing: When I am navigating google maps If I walk away and come back sometimes Chrome is froze. I have to close chrome and reopen. Also YouTube videos if I pause the video and come back after screen goes off I have my monitor go off after 3 minutes. But it does not matter how long...
  5. Windows 10 with Google Chrome Stuttering and Freezing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 with Google Chrome Stuttering and Freezing.: I have been having issues with my laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming Laptop that keeps freezing/stuttering when streaming or watching videos, for example, YouTube or movies from a certain website, but it does not stutter when playing games that might take a lot of...
  6. Audio overlay popup when changing volume in Google Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Audio overlay popup when changing volume in Google Chrome: Whenever I'm changing the volume, I'm getting this screen overlay in top left corner having three circular audio buttons. Even though no audio application is playing, it always shows up whenever I control the volume. What should I do to stop this popup forever? I know...
  7. Google Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Google Chrome: After using Google Chrome for several months with no problems, it suddenly won't start. I keep getting the error message: 0xc00000e5. If I re-boot my computer, it works I'll be able to get into Google once, but if I exit, I'll get the same error message again when I try to...
  8. google chrome

google chrome: how can I get google chrome on my windows 10 laptop and set it as my default browser????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/google-chrome/fe8c2aa2-381f-484b-9ce5-cedc9bbd5d35
  9. google chrome are freezing after update

google chrome are freezing after update: hello guys i have a problem with mi google chrome the app every time it freeze i try uninstall and reinstall it but the issue persist https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/google-chrome-are-freezing-after-update/d60f9d0d-ba4e-4eab-9046-377c41916152
  10. Google Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Google Chrome: Hi folks, since downloading and installing the 'Anniversary Update' I have not been able to open Google Chrome. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but to no avail. Anyone got any ideas please. Many thanks. 59675