Windows 10: portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?

Discus and support portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Old question looks like never have an answer. Portable hard drive, Seagate or Western digit, 2.5 , of better quality build? lasting longer, more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tsw88, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Tsw88 Win User

portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?

Old question looks like never have an answer. Portable hard drive, Seagate or Western digit, 2.5 , of better quality build? lasting longer, more durable? or clinically a matter of luck only?

:)

Tsw88, Aug 6, 2017

2. Windows Defender - tasks fried my Hard Disk!

take the hard drive out and put it in another computer. Use Seagate SeaTools to repair the drive if it is a Seagate, if Western Digital, use Western Digital DataLife Guard to repair the hard drive.

Andrew P Jones, Aug 6, 2017
  3. 2 HDD, 2 OS, current installation pattern not optimal, preliminary actions unsuccessful, proposed action, opinions sought, any better approach?

CONFIGURATION

On my PC, I have two hard drives: Western Digital SATA 1 TB, and Seagate SATA 160 GB. Western Digital was installed in Sep 2013 when this PC was built, and we have yet to see how long it lasts. Seagate is much older, probably Dec 2007 when the earlier PC was
    built and it has served well for 8 years now. However, the limitation is its small storage capacity.

Western Digital has 32-bit OS, x64-based processor but its effectiveness is limited by low utilization of memory, 3.4 GB of 8 GB installed.

Seagate has 64-bit OS, x64-based architecture but its effectiveness is limited by low free space availability, 11 GB as of now, which can get occupied very soon. Hence, there could be a need to install 64-bit OS on 1 TB HDD and 32-bit OS on 160 GB HDD.

ACTION TAKEN

Using Macrium Reflect (free edition), and Seagate Backup +BL 500 GB Portable hard disk--

(1) (a) created a clone of Seagate 64-bit system on Seagate Portable by overwriting it; (b) restarted the computer, and (c) attempted to boot from the cloned 64-bit system on Seagate Portable, but Windows reported an error "inaccessible boot drive"

(2) (a) created a clone of Seagate 32-bit system on Seagate Portable by overwriting it; (b) restarted the computer, and (c) attempted to boot from the cloned 32-bit system on Seagate Portable, but Windows reported an error "inaccessible boot drive"

PROPOSED ACTION

(1) clean install 8.1 x64 on larger drive Western Digital, activate it, and upgrade it to Windows 10; resulting in 64-bit Win 10 installation with full utilization of 8 GB RAM and 800 GB free space

(2) clean install 7 x86 on smaller drive Seagate, activate it, and upgrade it to Windows 10; resulting in 32-bit Win 10 installation with part utilization of 3.4 GB RAM and 11 GB free space

FURTHER

Use 1 TB Western Digital with 64-bit installation and full utilization of installed RAM for day-to-day operations

Keep 160 GB Seagate with 32-bit installation and part utilization of installed RAM on standby, in case something goes wrong with Western Digital drive

OPINIONS SOUGHT / QUESTION

Whether I should only change Western Digital current 32-bit installation to 64-bit new installation, and leave Seagate 32-bit installation as it is? Or, change OS on both drives as enumerated above? Or, a third option that you may want to suggest?

PS——————————————

The following information is being provided as additional clarification to what has already been stated above.

At present, when I boot my computer I get three/four options:

(a) Boot from Windows 10 (volume 5) [note: Vol 5 ≡ 32 bit, Western Digital 1TB]

(b) Boot from Windows 10 (volume 2) [note: Vol 2 ≡ 64 bit, Seagate 1TB]

(c) Boot from Windows 7 (recovered)

(d) Select the default from above three

mr-live-in, Aug 6, 2017
  4. portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?

i have a 2tb seagate udb 3.0 and my roommate has a 1tb western digital and side by side i see no performance difference.

xXWhackerXx, Aug 6, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    Pretty much the same. Both are reliable, both have had troublesome drives in the past. I've used both brands for external hard drives and haven't had any fail on me.

pparks1, Aug 6, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Only thing I've heard from other members here is that WD uses soldered connections on the controller, which sometimes cause problems. Personally, I prefer Seagate....just old habit.

f14tomcat, Aug 6, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    The soldering in WD external drives prevents you from cracking open the case and pulling out your drive to get the data off it, when the case's PCB dies (that's usually what fails first). Otherwise, six to one , half a dozen to the other.

WD

portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build? [​IMG]

Everyone else

portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build? [​IMG]

simrick, Aug 7, 2017
  8. f14tomcat Win User

The "other member" I was thinking of has spoken! *Smile Tks, simrick.......

f14tomcat, Aug 7, 2017
  9. simrick Win User
    *Thumbs

simrick, Aug 7, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    An external drive is just a conventional drive in a box with a USB interface. With that in mind, the drive reliability reports from Backblaze may be useful...

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-q1-2016/

Personally I tend to buy Toshiba, based on the two years of running time my Toshiba laptop's drive has clocked up so far...

11. simrick Win User
    I used to tend towards Toshiba as well, until I bought 2x1TB ext HDDs 2 years ago; one failed at 13 months, the other at 18 months - both failures started with the the case PCB, so I put them in new cases, and within a few months, the drives themselves failed and had to be replaced. *Sad

simrick, Aug 7, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    The only reason I would stay away from WD is that soldered board. I have one, and I wanted to transfer a large amount of data to it so I cracked open the case thinking I could move the drive inside to a SATA port. Nope.

NavyLCDR, Aug 7, 2017
  13. portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build?

In 2007 I bought a Dell 1720 Inspiron and installed two WD Scorpio Black drives in it. After 10+ years of 12-15 hrs a day 7 days a week use I just replaced them. Not because they failed but just slowly upgrading the Inspiron to keep using it as an extra lappy. So from my use I would say WD drives, but I would consider the other replies since perhaps they have lowered their manufacturing standards with the soldered components.

Fisher Mann, Aug 7, 2017
  14. pparks1 Win User
    It's funny, i noted earlier how I had never had either a Seagate or a Western Digital fail, well when I got home today my son told me the external hard drive on the Xbox One died. Sure enough, Seagate 2TB drive was dead. It was only about 6 weeks old, Seagate is replacing it.

pparks1, Aug 7, 2017
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
Thema:

1. portable hard drive, seagate or western digit of better quality build? - Similar Threads - portable hard drive

2. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  3. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  4. Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow: I use a Western Digital 2 TB hard drive, and I use Acronis True Image to have it back up my main 1 tb pc main drive. The hard drive backs up at a speed of between a few hundred kilobits per second to 100 megabits per second. I've searched everywhere online, and I can't find a...
  5. Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Western Digital Hard Drive Very Slow: I use a Western Digital 2 TB hard drive, and I use Acronis True Image to have it back up my main 1 tb pc main drive. The hard drive backs up at a speed of between a few hundred kilobits per second to 100 megabits per second. I've searched everywhere online, and I can't find a...
  6. Windows 10 The Western Digital Hard Drive Serial Killer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 The Western Digital Hard Drive Serial Killer: 6 not one, two three, four,five but 6. I do say 4 hard drives Western Digital 2 Seagate. All dead due to Windows 10 and its incessant need to run its indexing. Which can not be turned off or disabled and constantly kills them. This is exponentially increased by its incessant...
  7. Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop

Seagate & Western Digital external drives not accessible on Windows 10 PC & Laptop: Hello, I have two external drives that I use for both my laptop and PC. One is a Seagate and the other Western Digital. They are accessible on my laptop I use for work. I have not changed anything in regards to settings on my personal laptop and PC prior to having the...
  8. Western Digital hard drive 4308A

Western Digital hard drive 4308A: Please advise. Is the Western Digital hard drive compatible with Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/western-digital-hard-drive-4308a/4785e9b0-8afa-4e97-8bfc-d973e59927ed
  9. Western Digital Drive no go

Western Digital Drive no go: I have a WD Caviar Blue 500Gb sata drive mounted in a Digitus USB enclosure. This drive has been working fine until I installed Windows 10. Now I get a message that the drive failed to enumerate, (Code 35). C an anybody help please? 18449
  10. Western Digital Announces 14TB Hard Disk Drive

in Windows 10 News
    Western Digital Announces 14TB Hard Disk Drive: SAN JOSE, CA — Oct. 3, 2017 — Western Digital Corp. (NASDAQ: WDC), a global data storage technology and solutions leader, today announced that it is providing cloud and hyperscale data centers the capacity required by big data applications with the world’s first 14TB...