Windows 10: Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

Discus and support Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am having a lot of trouble with a Toshiba 2TB portable HDD on Windows 10. Sometimes it is recognised by Explorer, sometimes it isn't, and I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by evh5150, Apr 30, 2019.

1. evh5150 Win User

Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

I am having a lot of trouble with a Toshiba 2TB portable HDD on Windows 10. Sometimes it is recognised by Explorer, sometimes it isn't, and I can't discern a pattern. The drive works in every other device I have, and when it doesn't work, it is not seen using any of the USB ports. It is not a case of a duplicate drive letter; when it fails to be seen, it isn't seen in Device Manager or Disk Management either.

One pattern I do notice is that, when the drive fails to be seen in Windows 10, the subsequent restart or shutdown can take up to 10 minutes. Even after that, there is no guarantee that the drive will be seen.

I guess this suggests a driver failure of some kind, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

:)

evh5150, Apr 30, 2019
  2. Dice Vil Win User

Portable HDD full but isn`t..

Hi Graham,

In most cases, this may already point to a hardware issue. We suggest doing the following to properly isolate this:

• Connect your portable HDD to a different port.
    • Connect your portable HDD to a different PC.
    • Connect other storage devices.

If you find that other storage devices work properly and your portable HDD still encounters an error with other computers, then this is already a hardware issue and you'll need to get in touch with the device manufacturer for assistance and troubleshooting.

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Dice Vil, Apr 30, 2019
  3. Fal73 Win User
    Not recognising HDD

I recently updated to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, when I put my computer to sleep when it wakes up it does not recognise my Toshiba HDD. I run my OS and main programs off my Samsung SDD but my documents, music, photos etc. are on my other HDD which is
    not being recognised by my computer. After I restart my computer it shows up again, but if were to put it to sleep again, it would not appear.

When it is not showing up in "my computer" it is also not appearing on device manager.

Suggestions?

Fal73, Apr 30, 2019
  4. Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports

I have a 2 year old CIT cobra case and have always had varying issues with portable HDD's and USB pens being recognised don't have any issues with the rear USB ports...one USB pen actually changed its contents partly to what was on it before I formatted it....

I am reluctant to accept that it may be a hardware fault, but beginning to think it must be.

I don't know if CIT cases are well made, or if this is unusual.

I am looking at replacing the case, possibly with a ZALMAN Z11 Plus Midi Tower Computer Case, particularly as it has room for 5 internal HDD's, which I need..

wonder if I have any other options and am I going the right route

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

1. Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10 - Similar Threads - Portable HDD intermittently

2. SSD and HDD not recognised.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD and HDD not recognised.: Hi All.I have bought another PC recently. It had an HDD fitted but I decided to fit the SSD from my old PC along with this HDD. It seemed like a straight addition to the new PC but having done that I am getting the message 'Cannot find a bootable device'. Can someone please...
  3. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Portable HDD won't open: Not sure if I selected the correct Topic for this. If not, move and advise.I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 10GB mem, 2TB hdd.I also have a Buffalo portable HD, P-ZU3 2tb and a smaller HD.When I plug the portable HD into my desktop, it won't open. I has a yellow light on.When I...
  4. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable HDD won't open: Not sure if I selected the correct Topic for this. If not, move and advise.I'm using an HP desktop, i7, 10GB mem, 2TB hdd.I also have a Buffalo portable HD, P-ZU3 2tb and a smaller HD.When I plug the portable HD into my desktop, it won't open. I has a yellow light on.When I...
  5. Portable HDD won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. HDD not recognised

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD not recognised: Hi, Am hoping somebody can give me some help getting my 2nd HDD recognised. The full story in brief on how this has happened is :- I did a windows update & after that my pc wouldnt boot i suspect due to usb drivers being disabled , anyway it meant i couldnt even use my mouse...
  7. HDD not recognised on bootup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD not recognised on bootup: Hi all, My PC was on playing Spotify, I came back to it after being in the other room and the PC had crashed and booted to a 'no recognised boot disk' screen. I've tried Startup Repair which as far as I know has never worked for me or anyone I know on any problem ever,...
  8. Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10

Portable HDD intermittently not recognised by W10: I am having a lot of trouble with a Toshiba 2TB portable HDD on Windows 10. Sometimes it is recognised by Explorer, sometimes it isn't, and I can't discern a pattern. The drive works in every other device I have, and when it doesn't work, it is not seen using any of the USB...
  9. Portable HDD not recognized

Portable HDD not recognized: I have 2 WD portable HDD's that are not recognized by W10. I plug them into an external Tripp-Lite USB 3.0 that I added as my PC is old and only has USB 2.0 I have never had an issue like this. I used both of these 2Tb portable HDD's for a couple years with zero...
  10. Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports

Portable HDD and pens not recognised in USB ports: I have a 2 year old CIT cobra case and have always had varying issues with portable HDD's and USB pens being recognised don't have any issues with the rear USB ports...one USB pen actually changed its contents partly to what was on it before I formatted it.... I am...