Windows 10: Portable Router for private wifi etc

Discus and support Portable Router for private wifi etc in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks Increasingly Hotels etc are charging extra for their wifi if you have more than one connection in the room Well using a portable router... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, May 25, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Portable Router for private wifi etc

Hi folks
    Increasingly Hotels etc are charging extra for their wifi if you have more than one connection in the room

Well using a portable router creates your own private wifi network which you can share with other people / devices -- this one also has 5GHZ capability so max throughput from Hotel wifi is 433 Mib/s. Create private network from single source !!! - just pay once (or have the single FREE connection and create wifi network !!!).

You can connect to the LAN as well and create wifi network -- a lot of laptops now don't have LAN ports any more.

Great piece of kit -- I use also at public wifi outlets too as it's secure rather than rely on public wifi security (i.e none) and will hobble those "shifty characters" who try and use public wifi to steal passwords etc etc.

Great also for supporting DLNA servers so you can show your own movies on Hotel TV etc. Has 3 usb slots so can share HDD's over the wifi network too.

DIR-510L Wireless AC750 Portable Router and Charger | D-Link

Brilliant piece of kit -- not too large ---Don't leave home without it.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 25, 2016

2. lumia 920 wlan problem

I can confirm the same problem with all my old portable wifi devices to my old cable modem (wifi). It became obvious that it was the fault of the router, not the portable devices themselves. It's a common phenomenon that currently nobody seems to have
    a definite answer to. (you can see this issue all over the web for years now with non-phone devices also)

I've disabled wifi on my router, and plugged in a small cheap wifi-hub. Everything works fine.

This problem is NOT a fault of the phone, and not associated to 5ghz / 2.4ghz isolation as it existed as a problem long before 5ghz became a consumer bandwidth.

Mashee---01, May 25, 2016
  3. Unable to connect to internet

you do know that accessing wifi on a device means accessing a modem/wireless router that is broadcasting a wireless signal right?

ie. in my case, i have an adsl2+ modem/router broadcasting my wifi.

if you dont have anything broadcasting wifi signal nearby, then obviously it wont detect wifi.

now is your friend's wireless network set to private? some wireless networks are set to private, in that you wont be able to detect them unless you have all the settings and details for that connection entered into the device previously.

Sever---01, May 25, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Jimbo there is always the Raspberry Pi 3 TOR that has been working great for those who travel.

It is probably the best little gadget to come around.

Alphanumeric and I are both playing around with that unit to see what it can do.

bro67, May 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Portable Router for private wifi etc - Similar Threads - Portable Router private

2. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  3. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  4. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Routers without WiFi

Routers without WiFi: Hi everyone! I work at a small business and finally getting a fibre-optic connection after many decades of near dial-up speed internet. I love using access-points for WiFi as that's what I use at my house (Ubiquiti ac-pro the best i've ever had) and my cable modem router to...
  6. Creating two networks Public/Private with one wifi router

Creating two networks Public/Private with one wifi router: Hi all. I want to create a wifi network where I can share across all of my private devices. Then, another wifi network that my guests can access for internet only. Do I need two routers for this? Or, are there some good routers out there to do that sort of thing? If you can...
  7. Wifi Private orPublic ?

Wifi Private orPublic ?: I have a constant problem. My WiFi changes from Private to Public. I have several times changed the property to private but was unsuccessful. I need to sort this issue as it bugs me....
  8. wifi router

wifi router: I just changed my user name & and password on my router and no I'm locked out! Can this router be reset to the default user name & password? the router is a Sagemcom fast 5260...
  9. Wifi-Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi-Router: Hi i'm 17 I don't know a lot about computers I got this Windows 10 desktop on Christmas, Yea won't lie about it. I have been having trouble with connection to games ever since I moved to the basement I did a speed test and my ping is 8, Download 36Mbps, and upload is...
  10. Internet devices With 1 Wifi account (hotels ) - portable Router

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internet devices With 1 Wifi account (hotels ) - portable Router: Hi there Might be of interest to those travelling and staying in hotels where you either have a single Ethernet (LAN) connection or 1 login per room and you have a few devices you want to use. Also works if you have say a business meeting in your room and people need...