Windows 10: Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer

Discus and support Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some of my MP4 files are not showing the correct movie-type of icon in Windows Explorer. This is when viewing the folder using icons of any size.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bel-p, Jun 11, 2019.

1. bel-p Win User

Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer

Some of my MP4 files are not showing the correct movie-type of icon in Windows Explorer. This is when viewing the folder using icons of any size. If I switch to Details view then it shows correctly as a movie file. NB I think this seems to only happen with VERTICAL MP4 films, NOT horizontal ones.

This is annoying as when I'm looking at a folder of photos and films I would like to see which is which.

I have asked for help with this question before (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...icon-for/9d20ce5f-6189-4ee3-8126-3ef1a4be1db9) but didn't solve the problem.

Also someone else asked a similar question in 2015: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-in-file/5b5aa234-27db-4b06-8d97-ae0831313be8

Can people please tell me if they also have this issue/problem with vertical movie files?

I think this is probably a Microsoft bug - but if anyone can tell me how to fix this I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Thanks,

Bel

Here's a screen shot of the problem:

Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer [​IMG]

When I posted before I was asked to check my folder settings, these are correct:

Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer f4731ce3-ba66-458c-adcc-6692c99df4e4?upload=true.png

I was also asked to check the advanced settings, these are correct, see below.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.

2. Type in control system and hit enter.

3. Click on Advance system settings from the left pane.

4. Click on Advance tab.

5. Under Visual effect search for Show thumbnails instead of icons and check the box.

These are the advanced settings I'm using:

Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer 0477a06a-8230-416b-9810-664987c73473?upload=true.png

I was also asked to create a new profile/account. I have tested this using another account and still have the same problem.

***Modified Title from: MP4 files not showing movie icon in Explorer***

:)

bel-p, Jun 11, 2019
  2. SolJaR12 Win User

Icon for Portrait-shot Videos

Hello,

Please can anyone tell me if there is a way to show the film reel style left and right borders to a portrait shot video as File Explorer does to landscape videos?

I understand that by clicking on icons and showing the details I can determine which icons are pictures and which are movie files, but for the way I work in transferring photos and videos it would be greatly helpful to show this just from looking at the
    icon.

Considering the number of videos that must be shot in portrait mode on mobile phones, I find it very limiting to show portrait and landscape icons differently in this way.

Many thanks,

SolJaR12, Jun 11, 2019
  3. Jimzarley Win User
    Cell phone intruders showing up in File Explorer.

Original Title: network intruders?

I have been reading several posts about the cell phone intruder showing up in file explorer, which has a mac address and as soon as I click on the device icon to check its properties it vanishes. Two occasions two different phones one day after the next.
    I have read about problems with my router (the moon malware) but I cannot understand a cell phone just appearing and then disappearing.. this is a snip of the properties of the first one.

Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer fSNe0IqsE2WwQLrl8RtueponcHxOyAErJRtPVzwNolIrB9QBx1H3oyIW3tA8VqMJI70QQqC4H1epMfDVR6JXBKMK78f5slTT.png

if they are on my network does this mean they have access to my files?? personal info?? passwords bank login info?

Jimzarley, Jun 11, 2019
  4. Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer

File explorer

Hi Mick,

I am sorry to know that the File Explorer is not working on the Taskbar.

I suggest you to right-click on it to unpin it from the task bar.

Then search for File Explorer in Search. Then right-click on it to Pin it to Taskbar.

If the issue persists, try the steps below.

• Type CMD in Search. Right click on it to run as an administrator.

• Type the following 4 commands at the Command prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

powershell

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

• Close the CMD window.

• Check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, restart the PC.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jun 11, 2019
Thema:

Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer

1. Portrait mode video from cell phone shows up like image file in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Portrait mode video

2. Phone not showing up in file manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone not showing up in file manager: Hello, I am trying to share files from my laptopwindows 10 to my phone. But my phone is not showing up in the file manager. I have tried:• using different USB cables• using different USB ports• using different phones• USB debugging is already enabled in both of the phones•...
  3. Phone not showing up in file manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone not showing up in file manager: Hello, I am trying to share files from my laptopwindows 10 to my phone. But my phone is not showing up in the file manager. I have tried:• using different USB cables• using different USB ports• using different phones• USB debugging is already enabled in both of the phones•...
  4. Videos NOT showing on file explorer from SD card

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Videos NOT showing on file explorer from SD card: So videos from my SD card will not show up on file explorer. This does not work for either of my SD cards, so it's not an issue on that end. I have "hidden items" checked as you can see in the screenshot below. Can anyone suggest any other options that may need to be toggled?...
  5. Temp files showing up in file explorer

Temp files showing up in file explorer: Hello , I work as an IT for a Cargo Company . Recently some users have reported an issue of temporary files pinned in the file explorer. I tried deleting the temps but it wont let me. I also ran CCleaner and nothing. Have searched the internet but have found no answer to...
  6. File Explorer Not Showing Image and Video Previews

File Explorer Not Showing Image and Video Previews: None of the previews are showing up. Any way to fix this?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-not-showing-image-and-video-previews/71c39d2a-04d5-4f9f-a200-594413d60dac"
  7. Files not showing up with File Explorer

Files not showing up with File Explorer: I open File Explorer to find a file that I knew had been created at the end of March 2019. I went to the location that I was sure I had saved it to. It did not show up. I opened up a separate File Explorer and searched my entire C drive and there were the file that I was...
  8. Android phones not showing up under Network in File Explorer

Android phones not showing up under Network in File Explorer: We have multiple Android phones at home connecting to the same home WIFI network. I have the following queries - Q1. Why are they not showing up under Network in File Explorer ? Q2. Can we access the phones from our computers wirelessly when they are connecting to the...
  9. Mysterious files showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious files showing up in file explorer: Running Win 10 anniversary update on new HP all-in-one with a 256GB SSD (C*Smile and a 2TB SATA (D*Smile drive. About three weeks ago I decided to move all of my data files from C: to the D: drive leaving only OS and program files on C:. I did not permanently delete...
  10. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...