Windows 10: Possible Bug - KB4458469 - Unable to set notepad as default programs

Discus and support Possible Bug - KB4458469 - Unable to set notepad as default programs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Recently went through a string of clean windows 10 installs trying to fix this on my end. Was having trouble setting notepad as the default program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Seluryar, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Seluryar Win User

Possible Bug - KB4458469 - Unable to set notepad as default programs

Recently went through a string of clean windows 10 installs trying to fix this on my end.

Was having trouble setting notepad as the default program for certain types of files, .dll's, .meta, cfg.(worked weeks ago)these types of files found when editing game files for modding some types of games. Noticed after one of my clean OS installs that I could set the default program for those types of files, But then went through the Windows update process to "up to date".

It got to me that maybe I installed a recent update and removing one by one of them, came to KB4458469, upon restart was able to set notepad as default program.

Going into control panel - set your default programs - choose default app by file type didn't help.

Each time I tried to set notepad as default, openwith.exe would come up in task manager/details every time I tried to set it. Also, right clicking the file icon and selecting properties, Opens with was set to "Pick an app" and could not be changed by the button to the right of it.

I do not need troubleshooting help on this but would like to know if there is a way to block this update from automatically being installed.

:)

Seluryar, Oct 8, 2018

2. Unable to set default browser

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

Any browser.

Already did the steps you suggested. It's some kind of bug where it's impossible to set a default browser at all.

I heard elsewhere from one other user
    that it seems to be a problem with upgrading to 10 on the SP3. Sounds very specifc.

guustavooo, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Unable to set default browser

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

The information which you have provided is not enough for us to determine the issue. Please provide us more information.

• Does this issue happens while you try to set other browser as default too or is it specific to specific browser?

To set Internet Explorer/Edge as a default browser, I suggest you to follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key and type Default Program in search and hit enter.
    • Select "Set your default programs"
    • Click on “Internet Explorer" or “Edge”.
    • Select "Set this program as default” and Click OK.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Oct 8, 2018
  4. TomFitz70 Win User

Notepad Settings- Windows 10

Is it possible to modify some settings in Notepad? I'd like to set the tab key to indent 3 or 4 spaces rather than the 11 that is the default. Any suggestions?

TomFitz70, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible Bug - KB4458469 - Unable to set notepad as default programs - Similar Threads - Possible Bug KB4458469

2. Notepad bug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad bug: So I found a possible bug might be malware but it's highly unlikely. I have a notepad file in which I copied the numbers from 1 to 1 million for personal purposes. I just reopened the file and for some reason its corrupted? and its a seemingly never-ending string of chinese...
  3. Notepad default print settings changes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Notepad default print settings changes: I have fixed notepad print settings using administrator login, now when I log in to standard user this settings changes and reset to default. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/notepad-default-print-settings-changes/03026f9e-d6ad-4d4d-ba38-2d34b6197cb6
  4. [BUG] [HELP] Possible bug with Settings header in 20H1

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [BUG] [HELP] Possible bug with Settings header in 20H1: So, I just updated my PC to 19041.208 and the settings header doesn't show my profile photo. I wanted to know if this is happening to anyone else. Interestingly enough, if I sign in with my Microsoft account, it does show up. submitted by /u/DominusLux [link] [comments]...
  5. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Setting default programs: I am aware of how to change the default program in windows for file extensions, etc, but I want to be able to set the default association to any application of my choosing. I have seen old guides about this going into the old control panel, but that no longer works. Is there...
  6. Setting default programs

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting default programs: I would like to know why you can only set Microsoft Programs as the default programs In Windows 10, I have a media player i realy like and i can not set it as my default Media Program for some reason and i would like to know why and how Microsft is allowed by the Governement...
  7. Unable to change default program

Unable to change default program: I'm unable to change my wmv file player or the program that I use to open zip files. I'm wanting to change them to media player classic and 7zip, but nothing happens upon switching their default program. For wmv files, I use choose another app, check to always use media...
  8. Update KB4458469 Will Not Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update KB4458469 Will Not Install: 2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4458469) keeps failing. In the auto update method, I get the error: Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later "Error code: (0x80073712). In...
  9. windows update KB4458469

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows update KB4458469: I cannot get this windows update to install (KB4458469). the update will download & then install to 25%, then it goes to initiating for a while. then it starts all over again. I ran the windows update troubleshooter, but did not fix the problem. Any help would be greatly...
  10. Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting

Default Program Settings Not Setting/Selecting: I have read a lot of posted articles using Google search, but none of them are quite the problem I am experiencing. My hardware is an ASUS Transformer T100TAM. It came with Win 10, but husband installed our registered Win7 in order to get the free Win10 upgrade. When I...
  1. GHacks
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. unable to install kb4458469