Windows 10: possible desktop corruption or malware affected

Discus and support possible desktop corruption or malware affected in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My desktop computer with windows 10 recently started resetting /refreshing the screen for all icons on the main window and then along the bottom task... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kenbnwb, Jun 12, 2022.

1. Kenbnwb Win User

possible desktop corruption or malware affected

My desktop computer with windows 10 recently started resetting /refreshing the screen for all icons on the main window and then along the bottom task bar about every 2 minute. but not exactly every 2 minutes each time. It does not stop and there appears to be constant hard disc activity. once the screen has reset I can use it ok until next refresh which interrupts your action like posting this. This starts happening soon after I log into all user profiles Your help in determining the cause would be most appreciated.

:)

Kenbnwb, Jun 12, 2022
  2. Boatvan Win User

Did our Epson printer get hacked?

Another question, is this on a home network or a work network? The steps @eidairaman1 listed are always a good first step. If this is on a work network you manage, I'd be much more concerned than the home one. It is possible someone is screwing with you, but malware could also be the culprit.

Boatvan, Jun 12, 2022
  3. hput3 Win User
    How to remove en.softonic malware that appears on desktop periodically

A kind of malware has somehow gotten onto my win 10 PC. What I get is a small advertisment that pops up in the bottom right on my desktop... When I turn it off (clicking the corner X). It comes back again some time later but with different content.

I haven't timed it but seems lake maybe a 1/2 hr.

I've googled extensively but all the instructions I've found, tell you to use the windows uninstaller to uninstall softonic. And maybe some manual clean up after the uninstall. But there is nothing installed with `softonic' in its name and even when the ad is running there is no process running with softonic in its name.

All the google hits appear to assume the windows uninstaller will know about softonic. Even the manual parts of some of the hits appear to assume you have been successful in unintalling it.

The instructions also suggest several free malware removal products and claim any of them will remove it.
    `Zema Anti-malware', `MalwareBytes' and `AdwCleaner'

I tried all those listed in one of the instruction sets, ran the scan but none of them found whatever is running the little softonic pop up ad.

This type of malware apparently falls into a category called a `PUP'.

I never found in the google hits what expected would be there somewhere. A list of steps to remove something like this by hand.

Can anyone here advise me?

hput3, Jun 12, 2022
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jun 12, 2022
Thema:

1. possible desktop corruption or malware affected - Similar Threads - possible desktop corruption

2. Possible Malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Malware: Recently a computer vendor installed a MS WINDOWS 11 and since then, my PC isn't under my control. It feels like someone else is also using it. After it was installed Microsoft Defender is not accessible/ not available. And there's a strange folder in one of my local disks....
  3. Possible Malware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Malware: I was trying to enable Core Isolation on my Windows 11 machine. I get an error about incompatible drivers. When I check, its a file named toupcam.sys.I checked it with Defender, it says no threat was found.I checked it on virus total and it flagged it as malicious, by a...
  4. Possible Malware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible Malware: I was trying to enable Core Isolation on my Windows 11 machine. I get an error about incompatible drivers. When I check, its a file named toupcam.sys.I checked it with Defender, it says no threat was found.I checked it on virus total and it flagged it as malicious, by a...
  5. possible desktop corruption or malware affected

in Windows 10 Customization
    possible desktop corruption or malware affected: My desktop computer with windows 10 recently started resetting /refreshing the screen for all icons on the main window and then along the bottom task bar about every 2 minute. but not exactly every 2 minutes each time. It does not stop and there appears to be constant hard...
  6. possible desktop corruption or malware affected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    possible desktop corruption or malware affected: My desktop computer with windows 10 recently started resetting /refreshing the screen for all icons on the main window and then along the bottom task bar about every 2 minute. but not exactly every 2 minutes each time. It does not stop and there appears to be constant hard...
  7. Possible malware?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible malware?: So I don't really know anything but I think there might be a malware in this computer that windows defender cannot detect.My drivers work perfectly fine but today they were kind of off and glitchy. And then I got a warning and shut off the driver. After a while it turned on ,...
  8. Possible malware?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible malware?: So I don't really know anything but I think there might be a malware in this computer that windows defender cannot detect.My drivers work perfectly fine but today they were kind of off and glitchy. And then I got a warning and shut off the driver. After a while it turned on ,...
  9. Possible malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible malware: Hello, I am completely freaking out and was hoping for some expert advice. I was going to download something from the internet through mega, but without realising it I was redirected to another site which made me download an exe file not my best day. As I proceed and thought...
  10. Possible corruption of Windows 10 by a Trojan malware product.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible corruption of Windows 10 by a Trojan malware product.: This computer now has two csrss execute files and I was told that probably means a Trojan. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/possible-corruption-of-windows-10-by-a-trojan/7a5b667d-77a8-4424-b27b-ad6a856e25a4"