Windows 10: Possible fake Windows Defender pop-up says it's locked up our laptop. How can I ascertain...

Discus and support Possible fake Windows Defender pop-up says it's locked up our laptop. How can I ascertain... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A window claiming to be from Windows Defender has popped up in our laptop and has locked it up, saying that Trojanware has been installed. It's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TimSmith1956, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Possible fake Windows Defender pop-up says it's locked up our laptop. How can I ascertain...

A window claiming to be from Windows Defender has popped up in our laptop and has locked it up, saying that Trojanware has been installed. It's telling us to call 888-770-6848. Is this actually from Microsoft?

:)

TimSmith1956, Jan 5, 2021

2. Red pop up alert for RDN/Trojan.worm!055BCC2687428infection

This pop up is likely a fake alert by one of these nefarious tech support scams. If you are indeed concerned, do as suggested and run scans with both Windows Defender and the free version of the latest Malwarebytes. These fake alert pop ups are all over
    the web. Did the alert provide a phone number to call? If not, then it is possible that you may have picked up some malware.

rescuemedium, Jan 5, 2021
  3. window defender

• You will want to print these instructions for offline reference -
    IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP perform all Steps in one uninterrupted session - If a Step says to reboot
    reboot.

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

Pləase let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains.

• `~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jan 5, 2021
  4. Possible fake Windows Defender pop-up says it's locked up our laptop. How can I ascertain...

Fake Java Update pop-up appearing on Windows 10.

Hello James,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Did you download and install any program/application from the internet?
    • When does the pop-up appear on the PC screen?
    • Did you check if the pop-up appears when the PC is booted in Safe mode?

You may be facing the above issue due to the presence of any third party applications conflicting with Windows 10 operating system. When some of the programs are installed on the PC, additional programs that come along will disturb the normal performance
    of the system. I suggest you to perform Safe mode and Clean boot procedures on the PC by following the steps below.

Step 1: I suggest you to boot your PC in Safe mode by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words
    Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Expand the options to boot into Safe Mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Reboot the PC to exit from Safe mode.

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on
    Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)
    (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

Step 2: If the issue persists, perform Clean boot on your PC by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

I suggest you to perform clean boot by following the steps from the link below and check if the issue is resolved.

You can open the system configuration window in Windows 10:

a. Using run command.

• Press Windows Key + R keys on the Keyboard.
      • Type msconfig.msc and press Enter.

b. Using Cortana.

• Press Windows icon key on the keyboard and type msconfig.
      • Select the top most search result.
    Follow the steps from 3 under How to perform a clean boot
    for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 from the link below (The steps for clean boot suggested in the link below for
    Windows 8/8.1 is applicable for Windows 10 as well):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting
    from the link above.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Possible fake Windows Defender pop-up says it's locked up our laptop. How can I ascertain...

1. Possible fake Windows Defender pop-up says it's locked up our laptop. How can I ascertain... - Similar Threads - Possible fake Defender

2. windows defender pop up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows defender pop up: trying to log on to my internet and a window pops up saying its window defender blocking my account and tells me to call customer support https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-pop-up/c87f552c-1442-4fbe-a5e5-85e7998b8b6f
  3. windows defender pop up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows defender pop up: trying to log on to my internet and a window pops up saying its window defender blocking my account and tells me to call customer support https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-pop-up/c87f552c-1442-4fbe-a5e5-85e7998b8b6f
  4. windows defender pop up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. fake virus infection pop ups

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fake virus infection pop ups: I am getting many pop-ups saying my PC is infected by a virus. I never click them on. And it happens before I go to the internet. So, I suspect it is some kind of malware. Windows defender scan says no infection. The keystroke is slow, too. What do I have to do?...
  6. fake virus infection pop ups

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    fake virus infection pop ups: I am getting many pop-ups saying my PC is infected by a virus. I never click them on. And it happens before I go to the internet. So, I suspect it is some kind of malware. Windows defender scan says no infection. The keystroke is slow, too. What do I have to do?...
  7. fake virus infection pop ups

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Fake Pop-ups.

Fake Pop-ups.: I've been getting pop-ups from a website called youtubecenter.net, and it says I have a virus. I tried scanning my device through Windows Security and it said that I didn't have any. Is there a way I can remove these pop-ups? I've looked at some other posts saying that they...
  9. New Pop-Up: Real or Fake?

New Pop-Up: Real or Fake?: Hello, I've been using an Acer laptop for some time now running Windows 10, and Kaspersky and Google Chrome are some notable applications. Recently I began receiving two pop-ups while on Chrome warning me of not having wifi and telling me my wifi has been restored. Notably, I...
  10. WINDOWS DEFENDER POP-UPS

WINDOWS DEFENDER POP-UPS: i am going crazy from Windows Defender Popups with either a siren or voice warning me not to shut down. They lock up my computer. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-pop-ups/8ebe1729-87f3-4622-a76a-7812699f40f9