Windows 10: Possible issue with KB4566782 where it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager

Discus and support Possible issue with KB4566782 where it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I would like to report a potential bug/issue with August 11, 2020—KB4566782 OS Build 19041.450... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rsanghoi, Aug 28, 2020.

1. rsanghoi Win User

Possible issue with KB4566782 where it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager

Hi, I would like to report a potential bug/issue with August 11, 2020—KB4566782 OS Build 19041.450

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4566782/windows-10-update-kb4566782

I'm using Windows 10 build 2004.

Installing this update kb4566782" caused "Automatic driver update" functionality in device manager mmc plug-in to break.

Describing the problem behavior after kb4566782 is installed:

Within device manager , either in computer management or standalone devmgmt.msc, select any device - right click - update driver - search automatically for drivers - the wizard DOES NOT go to"Searching online for drivers..." stage and comes back with the status "You are already using the best driver..." within 1 second.

I used procmon/process explorer to compare this behavior to 2 known working instances :

A July07, image from same machine, and another machine running build 1909; And in both these cases, mmc.exe hosting device manager is showing making calls through wininet.dll to discover proxy, IE zones and finally going out to the network.

While in broken instance, no calls to wininet.dll are made. Process explorer confirms that wininet.dll is NOT loaded on device manager launch on the broken instance, while it is in both working instances. I uninstalled/reinstalled the kb4566782 twice to confirm, and was able to reproduce the issue.

Note: this behavior is exhibited only within device manager, other apps/processes continue to load wininet.dll as expected.

Additional finding: Attempting to repair through DISM or sfc commands does not work.

The only recoruse is to either uninstall the update, or to revert to an earlier image.

As well as in some cases, device manager might disappear altogether from computer management after kb4566782, though standalone devmgmt.msc still loads the mmc console. But the above issue with driver update is still exhibited.

:)

rsanghoi, Aug 28, 2020
  2. dtraiN187 Win User

device manager drivers/update/fix help

I need help with my drivers as they aren't showing up right in Device manager. I have double or triple entries in some of the categories; I have provided a link or file so that you can see what mine looks like. If anyone could direct me in the right path that would be awesome! I think the reason for my mouse studders/issues and also performance issues in the many games that I play is the reason behind these Drivers. Below is a image that I captured with gyazo that lists my devices.

https://gyazo.com/825cc09e1f38ba409bd23bd839c8aa08 <- (Device manager and problems w drivers)

-BenQ XL2420Z 144hz
    -Logitech G403 Prodigy
    -Corsair Vengeance K95

-When I fix the drivers that I need will the grayed out devices fix themselves/disappear in Device manager? Also, if/when I get my drivers all squared away and updated.. let's say I have some grayed out devices that are still in those sections.. is it OK to uninstall those or not?

-I also don't have any idea what those Microsoft streaming devices in Sound are!??! Could it be something I need to turn off in BIOS or?

-Lastly, what's the deal with the WAN Miniports?

Thank-you!

dtraiN187, Aug 28, 2020
  3. AFWS Win User
    Issues even with KB4566782 update

Issues even after KB4566782 update. How can you even use a computer like this? Is there a fix to this in sight?

• Programs unresponsive
    • Programs slow to startup
    • Firefox slow to startup
    • Firefox sometimes takes forever to load page
    • Programs crashing
    • Restart still taking 15 minutes for restart
    • Getting mouse lag

4. Possible issue with KB4566782 where it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager

Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

Possible issue with KB4566782 where it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager

1. Possible issue with KB4566782 where it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager - Similar Threads - Possible issue KB4566782

2. Possible issue with KB4566782, wherein it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Possible issue with KB4566782, wherein it breaks Automatic driver update in Device Manager: Hi, I would like to report a potential bug/issue with August 11, 2020—KB4566782 OS Build 19041.450 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4566782/windows-10-update-kb4566782 I'm using Windows 10 build 2004. Installing this update kb4566782" caused "Automatic driver...
  3. KB4566782 leads to AX200 WiFi driver error.

KB4566782 leads to AX200 WiFi driver error.: After installing KB4566782 and reboot, my AX200 WiFi driver was down. Tried Reinstalling the driver, but fixes nothing. For now, I uninstalled the update patch, and my WiFi works again....
  4. Issues even with KB4566782 update

Issues even with KB4566782 update: Issues even after KB4566782 update. How can you even use a computer like this? Is there a fix to this in sight? Programs unresponsive Programs slow to startup Firefox slow to startup Firefox sometimes takes forever to load page Programs crashing Restart still taking 15...
  5. KB4566782 breaks my 2003 Access Database

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    KB4566782 breaks my 2003 Access Database: KB4566782 breaks my 2003 Access Database. If I uninstall this update the database error goes away. The error: Microsoft Office Access: There was an error executing the command. I can't stop this update from installing. Un-Installing is time consuming and requires a restart....
  6. KB4566782 Update Loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    KB4566782 Update Loop: My laptop is running Windows 10 2004 OS build 19041.388 and windows update decides to automatically install cumulative update KB4566782 build 19041.450. The installation will fail 0x800f081f during updating Windows and Windows update automatically retry to install it until my...
  7. Possible issue with Driver updating

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Possible issue with Driver updating: Hi, I’ve started to update my drivers manually today with the help of Drivers Easy. I got driver updates for all three of the “Intel(R) Atom(TM)/Celeron(R)/Pentium(R) Processor PCI Express - Root Ports and manually installed them. As I was updating Root Port 2 I accidentally...
  8. Update drivers automatically in device manager?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update drivers automatically in device manager?: Hey all, is there any way for me to check everything with just some clicks for drivers, instead of going through every single thing in device manager? submitted by /u/FHRNHTx [link] [comments]...
  9. On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    On Device Manager, the Driver Updater/"Search automatically for driver" does not search for...: I've had a completely fine running Windows 10 on two PCs, but after the May 2019 1903 Update and using Disk Cleanup and removing the previous Windows installation (not sure if disk cleanup caused anything or has anything to do with this, just speculating and it's the only...
  10. Device Manager - Update Driver Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Manager - Update Driver Issue: This is a weird one, and I can't find any solutions to it: Computer: Windows 10 Pro, 1903 18362.116 So when I open Device Manager and say for example, I expand Network Adapters. Then if I right-click my Ethernet Adapter and select Update Driver and then Search automatically...
Tags: