Windows 10: Possible profile problem

Discus and support Possible profile problem in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; not aware of installing anything recently, but all of a sudden, the start menu won't select, the search bar doesn't work....also cant use right click... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by reddwarf4ever, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Possible profile problem

not aware of installing anything recently, but all of a sudden, the start menu won't select, the search bar doesn't work....also cant use right click to close running programs on the bottom bar. Plus strangely enough the mouse settings have changed.

created a new user profile and everything works fine. Do not have a backup image or restore point to use...have run sfc scannow which found no problems..

is there anything i can I can do please.

now pc not starting up,for ages and ages...

PS is there an easy way of using the migration tool ( script file maybe ) to copy everything from one profile to another ?

thanks

windows 10 pro 64bit

:)

reddwarf4ever, Jun 7, 2017
  2. #Profile# Win User

Viewing PDF files in Edge

i'm having same problem and it's annoying

works fine in Chrome

#Profile#, Jun 7, 2017
  3. phone browser showing no data

It sounds like something on your computer, try to create a new user profile in XP with admin rights. log onto that profile and see if it solves the prob. Reason for the new profile is to exclude some possible software problems on the pc.

mobile_oracle, Jun 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Possible profile problem

Hi, that seems now your most serious problem.

What do you actually see and hear happening? Are there any messages or sounds? Do you see a lock screen or login screen?

It's unfortunate you don't (yet) use disk imaging as we strongly and repeatedly recommend. If so, that would have been your quickest and most certain way to recover, without technical help.

Your PC seems to have increasing problems. So let's start with your disks.

As your PC isn't bootable, please download and create Kyhi's boot disk if you don't yet have it, from the top of the Software and Apps section here.

Boot your PC from it, run HDTune and post its GUI for each of your drives.

As you PC isn't bootable transferring profiles doesn't seem relevant at this point - there is one commercial program I came across. It's non-trivial.

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  5. Do t mean to sound vague but this is my teenage sons pc, I have lost count of the number of times I have told him to image his HDD......but.....the PC does startup eventually, sometimes takes 20-30 minutes...other times quicker....

will create the boot cd for him and see what is found, booting from an SSD if it's important. When the pc finally starts the newly created profile works perfectly.....so womdered if the issue could be related to some profile corruption in the original profile

ps not been told of any error message he just tells me he sees something whirring continuously on the screen....also told him to sign up to this forum but again.......

thanks

ps is the program you are referring to called non trivial ?
    a
    also does re profiler help, couldn't see how to use it to repair.....or windows has a migrate option for profiles but again would be handy as a small batchfile....

6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so as it does boot, you could download Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and run that, again post a screenshot of its GUI for each disk.
    Please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon

- I read that as 'the PC hasn't booted successfully for a long time'

There's no point trying to fix profiles if it's booting slowly- need to fix that first.

If the disks are ok, then check the file system
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

Then please post a screenshot of Disk Management
    (Windows key + X, click Disk Management)

(I'd suggest you create a disk image for him - when/if this is working again- then show him how to update it. Tell him he'll lose information if he doesn't and the image is restored. Then when sthg goes wrong, restore the latest image (you keep one you created of course as well).

If he's not done the updates, he loses programs/games/data. Just as you warned him. But he gets his PC fixed, without technical help)

Bear in mind we have no idea if there are viruses on his PC, the history of his PC etc.

Can you find out when this started happening, and what happened before that?

Also a screenshot of the Update History so we know, for example, if it upgraded to the CU recently.

dalchina, Jun 7, 2017
  7. Ok will work on this thanks

8. Possible profile problem

Re Kyhi's boot disk.....could you give me alink please....found an iso but the disk only gives an image of a blue 4 pane window and stays there forever
    Thanks

reddwarf4ever, Jun 8, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

On that page as you read down, yuo will first find the latest version, which appears to be based on the CU according to the 2nd version.

For each major Win 10 build there's a 32 bit and a 64 bit version.

If that doesn't work, browse down further and you will see older version based on older builds of Win 10.

If the version based on the CU doesn't boot on your PC, but an older one does, this would tend to indicate a problem, and it may not be worth trying to install the CU on your PC.

So be clear which one you try and which one does and doesn't work.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  10. Still had trouble getting them to work but using a multiboot program they boot perfect from a USB pen...
    Pity there's no actual repair tools on there ....but handy anyway.

11. Trying to help my son, but like all teenagers ,,,,he knows best ,,,,,,he copied his profile to a new one and deleted the old one and says he can now access the search bar start menu etc, but still takes ages to start up.....have passed on all you have told me but......still waiting

12. dalchina New Member
    Really? I don't think we're referring to the same thing. Kyhi's boot disk boots up as Win 10 to a desktop:

Possible profile problem [​IMG]

- that's from where you should have got the iso's from.

Look at all the shortcuts. Programs- utilities.

Maybe you haven't managed to configure a bootable version of it, or booted from it successfully?

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  13. Possible profile problem

Yes I did get it running from a USB ok
    bit didn't notice the programs utilities, just saw the desktop icons, will look deeper

thanks

reddwarf4ever, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Possible profile problem

1. Possible profile problem - Similar Threads - Possible profile problem

2. Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile: The original issue - O365 web based Outlook. When attaching a file the file attachment doesn't complete before stalling and disappearing. These are small PDF, text files. No limits are being reached. Mailbox is at 27% full.Windows 10 ProIt is suspected that the profile is...
  3. Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile: The original issue - O365 web based Outlook. When attaching a file the file attachment doesn't complete before stalling and disappearing. These are small PDF, text files. No limits are being reached. Mailbox is at 27% full.Windows 10 ProIt is suspected that the profile is...
  4. Profile possibly corrupt - Create New Profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. possible problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    possible problem: I re-installed win 10 pro 3 days ago and everything seems ok....... but....... if you check out the attached pic of my "This PC" it has local diskc and DVD drive in Devices and Drives 2. Is this normal or a problem. If so can it be fixed and how? Thanks in advance. [img]...
  6. possible problem

in Windows 10 Support
    possible problem: I re-installed win 10 pro 3 days ago and everything seems ok....... but....... if you check out the attached pic of my "This PC" it has local diskc and DVD drive in Devices and Drives 2. Is this normal or a problem. If so can it be fixed and how? Thanks in advance. [img]...
  7. Separate profiles for mouse and trackpad possible?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Separate profiles for mouse and trackpad possible?: Apparently after a recent update, I don't seem to be able to keep separate profiles for mouse and trackpad on my HP Spectre 360. Even though I'm a lefty, I've always scrolled the trackpad with my right hand and used my left on the button. This is opposite of how I use the...
  8. Separate profiles for mouse and trackpad possible?

in Windows 10 Support
    Separate profiles for mouse and trackpad possible?: Apparently after a recent update, I don't seem to be able to keep separate profiles for mouse and trackpad on my HP Spectre 360. Even though I'm a lefty, I've always scrolled the trackpad with my right hand and used my left on the button. This is opposite of how I use the...
  9. Offline profile over VPN possible?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Offline profile over VPN possible?: I have a user that has site to site VPN at home to access network drives. They also have folder redirection set up in their environment along with Offline files set up. When the user is connected on via VPN, they experience sluggish performance while doing simple tasks...
  10. Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Trick Win10 into using existing profile at a different profile-path -- Is it possible?: Following some rather clumsy warranty work on my laptop, I want to transform 'C:\Users\acer' into 'C:\Users\mark' so that, at the end of the day, there's only one account & one profile. I can imagine this method: Copy 'C:\Users\acer' to (new) 'C:\Users\mark', Change the...