Windows 10: Possible reason for multiple hard drives lost in short time?

Discus and support Possible reason for multiple hard drives lost in short time? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As described in my recent post (see here), one of my drives recently died. Today, my second large drive went down, also an SSHD (along with a large... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/arthur_hej, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Possible reason for multiple hard drives lost in short time?

As described in my recent post (see here), one of my drives recently died. Today, my second large drive went down, also an SSHD (along with a large amount of important data - fortunately mostly backed up).

Is it possible that some undetected malware may have caused these things? Or perhaps an overvoltage from the power supply? Or is it simply the age?
    The antivirus software I have is Bitdefender, the PSU is a Xilence XP650R9 and the SSHDs (each 2TB in size) were purchased between 2016 and 2017.

Any advice would be helpful.

On a separate note, I am now going to reinstall my system as the OS is now totally screwed up. Hip Hip Hooray...

submitted by /u/arthur_hej
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/arthur_hej, Feb 20, 2021

2. HDD Corrupt ?

Hi,

There are many possible reasons this issue is happening. We'd like to ask few questions below:

• What is the brand name of you Hard Disk Drive?
    • How old is the HDD?
    Since you already tried multiple troubleshooting steps, we suggest visiting the manufacturer's website. Find and download a hard drive diagnostic software to help resolve the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Feb 20, 2021
  4. Possible reason for multiple hard drives lost in short time?

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Possible reason for multiple hard drives lost in short time? :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

Possible reason for multiple hard drives lost in short time?

1. Possible reason for multiple hard drives lost in short time? - Similar Threads - Possible reason multiple

2. Hard drive maxed at 100% for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive maxed at 100% for no reason: My SSD I store big games on always gets maxed whenever I try to access application files on it, like for updating and such. Even if I end the application I was using it stays maxed until I restart my PC. Sometimes it creates problems booting up stuck on Gigabyte screen, with...
  3. Lost hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost hard drives: I have a somewhat complicated set up with two computers, a main and the backup, and a large number of peripherals that are attached to switches to move them between the two computers. The problem I have is on my main computer and concerns three USB external hard drives. They...
  4. Hard drive turns on for no reason?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Hard drive turns on for no reason?: My HDD is set to turn off after 20 minutes without use. But very often it turns on for no reason even if I don't even have a program open. It's not the antivirus program. It switches itself on and off 5-10 times a day. How can I solve the problem? Or it would be best to turn...
  5. BSOD multiple different reasons every time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD multiple different reasons every time: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akfx8HuXFhS3gRccczRC0SbOMxJ_?e=fCugGu above is the mycloud link to my minidump files. it started when my OS was on a failing old 500gb HDD, so i brought a new MOBO with M.2 slots and installed the OS onto an M.2 SSD, the problem got worse, so i just got a...
  6. Hard drive short dst check failure.

Hard drive short dst check failure.: So my comput I would constantly say preparing for automatic repair then get stuck on a black screen forever. İ powered it on and immediatly pressed down on esc. This took me to a page were i pressed system diagnoistic. After thag i tested mt hard drive and said this. Hard...
  7. Multiple Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Hard Drives: I have a second hard drive in computer that is setup for D: drive. Windows decided that D: drive is a music file and thus whenever I access files on that drive I cannot see file extensions and dates. Windows brings up the music tools options and the file headers are artist,...
  8. Possible Hard Drive failure?

Possible Hard Drive failure?: Hello, I recently came home to an extremely sluggish PC running windows 10. Managed to get to start>power menu and opted for 'restart and update'. 54% through the update and the PC reset and then didn't boot, just went to a black screen with an intermittently flashing...
  9. Hard Drive short DST check: Failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Drive short DST check: Failed: Hi all, My hp laptop (bought in 2016) suddenly ran to problem "Your PC couldn't start properly" and i cannot reboot it again. When i ran the component test it shows Hard Drive short DST check: Failed. I have contacted the local hp service center. They were informed like...
  10. Hard Drive Short DST Check Failed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Short DST Check Failed: So my laptop HP 14-ac136tu has been performing very slow for the last few months and so I decided to reset it but failed. When I turned it on again, it shows the hp logo then shows a black screen without cursor. I tried pressing the F2 before the logo starts and it directed...