Windows 10: Possible solution to blank screen during Win10 clean install

Discus and support Possible solution to blank screen during Win10 clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I encountered the blank screen issue while trying to clean install Win10 on old XP era HW. This is how I got around that. The box was decent for that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tns1, Aug 29, 2020.

1. tns1 Win User

Possible solution to blank screen during Win10 clean install

I encountered the blank screen issue while trying to clean install Win10 on old XP era HW. This is how I got around that.

The box was decent for that era: XP pro (x32), [email protected], dual HD raid. It boots just as fast as any other HD PC I have. Using an extra W7p license I had, I first did a clean install of W7 pro (x32) to see how it would perform. I had no issues with the Rufus built flash drive install, and performance is fine for general use. Note that I didn't want to lose this W7 install so I pulled the HD out and put in my second XP pro HD to install over.

I tried installing W10 pro (x32) v2004 using a flash drive created from the mediacreationtool. When I booted, I got 30sec of blinking cursor, a few seconds of the juggling dots graphic, and then a blank screen forever. It looked like there was a graphics card incompatibility with the W10 installer, but after seeing all the other posts about the issue and all the things people tried, it wasn't that. I next tried a Rufus built flash drive from the Win10 iso, but you can also read many posts proving that does not matter either. BTW, you will want to add ei.cfg to the sources folder of the install media if you want the choice of 10pro vs 10home vs all the other versions. By default it will force its best guess which is often wrong.

It turns out that even if you are doing a clean install, the newer W10 installers seem to look at what is already on the HD before it decides if you are worthy. Anything other than 7p or 8p probably makes you unworthy. After I safely cloned my W7pro drive and put THAT drive back in, the W10 installer decided I was OK and showed me the install dialogs (including the version selection). W10p installed fine, and the gatherosstate+genuineticket method still works for activation. Performance was boggy at first, but after getting some driver updates and rebooting a few times, it is now fine for general use (on just 3GB Ram). ClassicShell and Firefox are what make W10 palatable for me.

:)

2. vsrsai007 Win User

blank screen after installation win10

Can help for the solution for this. It is working fine with 8.1 windows Lenovo b540 all in one pc. after installing win10
    screen came up ( installing 45 min) and gone screen blank. Switch on but boot up screen noting.

vsrsai007, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Aug 29, 2020
  4. Possible solution to blank screen during Win10 clean install

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

Possible solution to blank screen during Win10 clean install

1. Possible solution to blank screen during Win10 clean install - Similar Threads - Possible solution blank

2. Blank Windows Security Screen on clean new install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank Windows Security Screen on clean new install: I did a clean brand new windows 11 install on my laptop IntelR CoreTM i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz, 16.0Gb RAM, 64 bit processor and OS just now 2024-01-08 18:07 CET. I chose the option to delete all apps, data and personal files, I did not restore anything from any...
  3. Blank Windows Security Screen on clean new install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank Windows Security Screen on clean new install: I did a clean brand new windows 11 install on my laptop IntelR CoreTM i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz, 16.0Gb RAM, 64 bit processor and OS just now 2024-01-08 18:07 CET. I chose the option to delete all apps, data and personal files, I did not restore anything from any...
  4. Clean Windows 11 installation blank screen issue

Clean Windows 11 installation blank screen issue: I am doing a clean windows 11 pro installation on brand new machine but the screen becomes blank at some point during the installation process usually after entering my Microsoft credentials.PC configuration:Gigabyte b550m ds3h motherboardAMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPUGigabyte AMD...
  5. Clean Windows 11 installation blank screen issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean Windows 11 installation blank screen issue: I am doing a clean windows 11 pro installation on brand new machine but the screen becomes blank at some point during the installation process usually after entering my Microsoft credentials.PC configuration:Gigabyte b550m ds3h motherboardAMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPUGigabyte AMD...
  6. Crashing during clean install

Crashing during clean install: Since my pc was acting up I've been trying to reinstall windows 10. 10 times in a row it has crashed during installation and had to start from the very beginning and crashes at different points. I've check every physical component, the UEFI settings including clearing the...
  7. screen blackout during clean windows installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    screen blackout during clean windows installation: Hi! I have just bought a win10 pro license and I am trying to install it. When I get to the customisation part of the installation the screen goes blank and black. I have tried all my monitor ports on my pc, tried to have only one plugged in as well as having all my...
  8. Win10 Blank Screen Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Blank Screen Problem: I recent performed a clean Win10 reset, and since then, it's gripped with a very weird and annoying problem. Every time I install ANY software, at the end of the installation the screen goes blank for 3-4 seconds (as if my monitor looses connection) and then resumes....
  9. Clean install now possible?

Clean install now possible?: Hi Guys, I upgraded from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro using the Media Creation Tool method. Can I now follow Brink's tutorial for a clean install, or did I have to use the Get Windows 10 App for a clean install to work? 10181
  10. blank screen after installation win10

blank screen after installation win10: Can help for the solution for this. It is working fine with 8.1 windows Lenovo b540 all in one pc. after installing win10 screen came up ( installing 45 min) and gone screen blank. Switch on but boot up screen noting. 38038