Windows 10: Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution?

Discus and support Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a high DPI display. When running VMs that do not support changing resolution the text in the console is so small it is almost unreadable. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by lx07, Oct 20, 2015.

1. lx07 Win User

Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution?

I have a high DPI display. When running VMs that do not support changing resolution the text in the console is so small it is almost unreadable. This happens with Linux guests without a GUI (CentOS minimal for example) and Windows PE.

Is there anything that can be done to make the scaling larger in the console as I can't connect through RDP or use enhanced session mode in these cases.

:)

2. Eric Witt Win User

HyperTerminal windows 10

This is not the answer to the question.

HyperTerminal is not the Hyper-V management console.

Eric Witt, Oct 20, 2015
  3. msurkan Win User
    Windows 10 Hyper-V no longer recognizes VMs after Creator's Update

After the Creator's Update was installed on my Windows 10 Pro system Hyper-V disappeared. I had to re-install Hyper-V again. That wouldn't bother me so much if Hyper-V also didn't stop recognizing my virtual machines. The Hyper-V console no longer shows
    any of my old VMs.

I tried the option to "Import Virtual Machine" from the Hyper-V console and pointed the import wizard to the folder where my .vhdx files are stored but I only get an error saying "Hyper-V did not find virtual machines to import from location".

I tried uninstalling the Creator's Update but got an error saying that the previous version files are not available and that the update cannot be undone.

How can I recover my virtual machines? The .vhdx files are still in the same folders and are the correct size.

msurkan, Oct 20, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

You need to install the extension software which will allow you to use any screen resolution including full screen. I don't have Hyper-V installed but there's an option in the menu when your virtual OS is running and it'll make the software appear on a cd drive which you then have to install manually.

swarfega, Oct 20, 2015
  5. lx07 Win User
    As far as I know Hyper-V features are already included in the Linux kernel and in Windows after 8.1. There aren't any guest additions to install.

I'm trying to make a WinPE (based on Windows 10 ADK) and am testing it in Hyper-V but everything is so small it is almost impossible to read as it is using my native resolution of 2560 x 1600 which on a 13" screen is unusably small.

6. Kari Win User
    Yes, the Hyper-V integration components are included in Windows 8 or later, WIndows Server 2012 or later, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS Linux install media and will be automatically applied when these operating systems are installed on Hyper-V guest. No additional install is needed, and as far as I know not even possible.

If you are using the Hyper-V Enhanced connection, you can select any resolution you want to the same way (and in fact using almost the same dialog) as to set the resolution of a remote desktop connection:

Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution? [​IMG]

Do not select full screen! That automatically applies the max resolution of the physical display you are using.

If you have saved, accidentally or on purpose the Enhanced Mode settings, the dialog is not shown and resolution cannot be changed. In that case you need to close the vm window, the vm can left running, then manually delete the saved Enhanced Mode configuration file. The file is called vmconnect.rdp.XXXXXXXX.config (XXXXXXXX = hexadecimal string representing the machine ID), and is located in %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Client\1.0:

Now open the vm window again and the dialog will be shown and you can set the resolution.

If you want to you can also edit the configuration file instead of deleting it to manually change the values, for instance if full screen or not, and set a resolution. Notice that the resolution can what you want to, it don't have to be a pre-defined 4:3 or 16:9 resolution. If you want to have a cube, set resolution to 1,000 * 1,000 *Smile

7. lx07 Win User
    I can't use enhanced connection on WinPE (or minimal Linux) VMs. It works fine with Windows guests but with WinPE the configuration box doesn't appear and the "Enhanced session" option is always grayed out. I get no option to change the size of the resolution - in this picture WinPE is expanded to (what Hyper-V thinks is) full screen and as you can see the text is really small.

If I enter "Full screen mode" the VM screen displayed stays the same size and is just centered and surrounded by massive black borders.

I checked the %appdata% directory and have no vmconnect.rdp.XXXXXXXX.config files stored in there - but it is good to know for future.

8. Kari Win User

That was my mistake, I "speed read" your post, saw "CentOS" and thought OK, integration is built-in. What I missed was the minimal setup.

That, in my opinion makes this quite clear: you have as far as I know no way to change the resolution from host. The change must be done in guest. One workaround although involving an extra step or two could be, in case you use multiple displays, to temporarily change the resolution of the secondary display to that of the CentOS guest. It's most probably using a 4:3 resolution, 800*600 or 1,024*768, meaning you can't get the display resolution to exactly match the guest resolution if you are using other than 4:3 displays, but at least it would make the guest "readable".

9. lx07 Win User
    Thanks - I'll try that. I was just trying the magnifier tool which works OK at 200% but makes it hard to interact with other things.

10. What you need to do is change the resolution of the host system. To something more common to a 13" monitor like, 1440x900 or some such.

You see, the systems you are installing have no concept of DPI scailing thus remain quite small.

logicearth, Oct 25, 2015
  11. lx07 Win User
    No, that didn't work. The host became bigger, the guest remained the same (but blurred).

12. Kari Win User
    Have you tried to edit /etc/grub.conf, adding vga=xxx at the end of the Kernel line? Replace the xxx with a value from this table:

(Screenshot from VESA BIOS Extensions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

For instance vga=866 would give 1400*900 resolution in 16 bit colors.

13. xbliss Win User

xbliss, Sep 22, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    I think even on a Minimal Centos install -- when you install the OS you can select the video resolution from the Grub options on the install menu -- this seems to define the text size that the command line prompt comes up with after the OS is installed.

I'm not sure though whether RDP allows re-sizing WITHIN the window itself -- what happens if you enable FULL SCREEN on the RDP session - in this case the HOST system should be able to re-size the screen contents - set change text sizes on the HOST by right mouse click on any part of the HOST background screen and choose display settings.

I've long been annoyed by programmers who program "fixed pixel sizes" into their code --Adobe photoshop was a prime example of that --if you run it on a large 50 - 60 inch monitor the menu items are almost UNREADABLE they are so tiny - even though the actual application was OK !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible to change Hyper-V console resolution? - Similar Threads - Possible change Hyper

2. Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution: How to change the resolution of a Ubuntu VM in Hyper-V?In Ubuntu’s settings -> display -> resolution, there isn’t the drop-down menu for resolution. Enhanced session cannot be enabled for some reason. So how to change the resolution? The default is quite small...
  3. Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Ubuntu virtual machine change resolution: How to change the resolution of a Ubuntu VM in Hyper-V?In Ubuntu’s settings -> display -> resolution, there isn’t the drop-down menu for resolution. Enhanced session cannot be enabled for some reason. So how to change the resolution? The default is quite small...
  4. How to change Hyper-V Display Resolution in Windows 11

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Hyper-V Display Resolution in Windows 11: [IMG]Hyper-V, without a doubt, is one of the most popular Virtual Machine software in the market. The best thing about Hyper-V is that you don’t learn all the technological theatrics to configure and change its settings. In this post, we will see how to change Hyper-V Display...
  5. Hyper-V, Windows 10 guest VM, console resolution limit 1920 x 1080

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V, Windows 10 guest VM, console resolution limit 1920 x 1080: I have a Windows 10 (10.0.18362) Hyper-V host and a windows 10 (10.0.18363) guest VM. The guest is a Generation 2 enhanced VM. It would appear that the recommended way to connect to the guest is via RDP. Unfortunately I can't use this method, I need to connect to the...
  6. hyper-V possible with multi screens ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hyper-V possible with multi screens ?: I tried to install hyper-V several times without succes , and big problems afterwards . Always screen of death . Now I have a new PC and would like to try again. But it seems that there was a problem with more than one screen , is that problem solved ?...
  7. Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem

Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem: I installed Linux-Mint in a gen 1 hyper-v session, and it installed fine. My main issue is that it setups up in an odd screen size and requires scroll bars. I go to display settings and it say laptop 12xx x 8xx (4:3) resolution, and no option to select 1366x768. I...
  8. No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest

No full screen console in Windows XP running as Hyper-V guest: I have an old DOS program that runs fine in a console window under native Windows XP. I've setup a shortcut on the XP machines and selected full screen. When the application runs it opens full screen. On a Windows 10 with a Hyper-V instance of Windows XP the application is...
  9. Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution

Hyper-V – software rendering & screen resolution: I am a new user of Hyper-V on a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit host, and have just installed Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit. I have two queries from my initial use, and am hoping that experienced users can give me some guidance. (1) When Linux is first launched I am given a warning...
  10. HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ?

HYPER-V with Hardware SAS RAID only on VM - possible ?: Hi there Looking at nice fast SAS RAID stuff for the VM --any idea if it's possible to pass thru the RAID controller to the VM without Windows seeing it or the HDD's it will be attached to -- I want mega fast I/O so I want to use RAID 0 -- not worried about failure as I...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. adjust resolution console hyper-v

2. windows hyper v centos resolution 2560

3. hyper v max resolution