Windows 10: Possible to have independent desktops for each display when using multiple monitors?

Discus and support Possible to have independent desktops for each display when using multiple monitors? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I understand how virtual desktops work in Windows 10, but that's not the solution I'm looking for. Basically, I have two monitors: a 27" 1440p... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sudo_rm_-rf_mylife, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Possible to have independent desktops for each display when using multiple monitors?

So I understand how virtual desktops work in Windows 10, but that's not the solution I'm looking for. Basically, I have two monitors: a 27" 1440p gaming monitor and a 40" 1080p TV. I'd like to have completely separate desktops for each display (i.e. no drag and drop or shared programs between desktops). That way I can leave programs running on the TV desktop while I use the primary display (1440p monitor) and vice versa.

One reason for this is, if I try to play a full screen game or application on the second monitor (TV), it will always show up on my primary monitor instead. So I have to unplug that monitor every time I want the TV to be the primary display (which is super inconvenient).

Any ideas are appreciated!

submitted by /u/sudo_rm_-rf_mylife
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sudo_rm_-rf_mylife, Feb 8, 2020
  2. tcipps Win User

Independent V Desktops on Multiple Monitors

Does anyone know if you can have 2 monitors both displaying independent virtual desktops.

Example monitor 1 displaying virtual desktop 1 and then monitor 2 displaying virtual desktop 2.

Thank you

tcipps, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Mala_S Win User
    virtual desktop as multiple monitor

Hello Dan,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Virtual desktops lets you create multiple, separate desktops that each can display different open windows and apps. Multiple desktops are great for quickly switching desktops. The idea of having multiple virtual desktops is being able to order programs
    according to a set of tasks.

PC can’t have different virtual desktop on each monitor. However, we can
    configure the taskbar for multiple displays to send windows from one monitor to another. We can customize Windows to have a taskbar shown on only one display, and a different taskbar on the other display. To do that, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Right click on the taskbar and select
      Taskbar Settings
    • Scroll down to Multiple displays section and choose
      Taskbar where window is open under Show taskbar buttons on option.

By choosing that particular option in Settings, you can set its independent taskbar in addition to your primary display. Only the open windows are shown on the taskbar in that particular display.

As a workaround, we can create a new profile to switch your main display to another. By doing that, you can switch between profiles which will be having different displays in it.
    To do that, follow the below mentioned steps.

• Right click anywhere on the desktop and select Graphics properties > Select
      Display > make changes to change your main displays > click on
      Save profile
      > assign a name to it.
    • You can create multiple profiles to make different monitors as main displays each time.
    • To apply the profile, right click anywhere on the
      desktop and select Graphics Options > Profiles > in there you can select the new account which you have created to switch the display.

Hope it helps.

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 8, 2020
  4. Luke33235 Win User

Possible to have independent desktops for each display when using multiple monitors?

Change desktops independently on different monitors

I've got a setup with 2 monitors and I use multiple desktops, when I switch desktops on one monitor it also switches desktops on the other monitor, is it possible to switch this off. Making it that when you switch desktops on one screen the other doesn't
    change?

Luke33235, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

Possible to have independent desktops for each display when using multiple monitors?

1. Possible to have independent desktops for each display when using multiple monitors? - Similar Threads - Possible independent desktops

2. Independent Monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Independent Monitors: I have two monitors set up and working. My issue is that the monitors show the same desktop, albeit spread across both screens. My objective is to have a separate desktop on each monitor that work independently of each other. How do I achieve this in Windows 10?...
  3. Independent Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Independent Monitors: I have two monitors set up and working. My issue is that the monitors show the same desktop, albeit spread across both screens. My objective is to have a separate desktop on each monitor that work independently of each other. How do I achieve this in Windows 10?...
  4. Independent Monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Independent Virtua Desktops on Multiple Monitors

Independent Virtua Desktops on Multiple Monitors: Is it possible to have independent virtual desktops on different monitors of a multi-monitor system. For example on monitor 1 show virtual desktop 1 and on monitor 2 show virtual desktop 2? Currently if I switch to virtual desktop 1 on monitor 2 it also switches monitor 1 to...
  6. Independent Virtua Desktops on Multiple Monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Independent Virtua Desktops on Multiple Monitors: Is it possible to have independent virtual desktops on different monitors of a multi-monitor system. For example on monitor 1 show virtual desktop 1 and on monitor 2 show virtual desktop 2? Currently if I switch to virtual desktop 1 on monitor 2 it also switches monitor 1 to...
  7. Independent Virtua Desktops on Multiple Monitors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Is it possible to have two desktops, one on each of two monitors?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to have two desktops, one on each of two monitors?: I saw another post on this (it's very old) and basically people were only telling them it was either not possible, or that it's ''just the extended desktop'' feature. What I mean is when you Win+Tab, you can add a fresh desktop. I would like Desktop 1 to be on one monitor,...
  9. Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors

Switch virtual desktops independently on multiple monitors: I was delighted to find Windows now has Virtual Desktops which I love. I like having all my work windows on one desktop and then any personal browsing and messaging applications on another. However and this is my use case I work on two monitors with my IDE Development...
  10. Independent V Desktops on Multiple Monitors

in Windows 10 Support
    Independent V Desktops on Multiple Monitors: Does anyone know if you can have 2 monitors both displaying independent virtual desktops. Example monitor 1 displaying virtual desktop 1 and then monitor 2 displaying virtual desktop 2. Thank you 11476