Windows 10: Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password?

Discus and support Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello, I currently in the process of preparing the computer lab MDT task sequence/image for a K-8 school. Since most of the children using these... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tinfever, Aug 25, 2019.

1. tinfever Win User

Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password?

Hello,

I currently in the process of preparing the computer lab MDT task sequence/image for a K-8 school. Since most of the children using these machines are quite young, we do not currently give each of them Windows AD logins and each computer is setup to automatically login to a local ComputerLab guest user that does not have a password. The computers are also configured with Deep Freeze but for the most part, any changes, files, etc are wiped just by logging out of the guest user and logging back in.

The problem is that even though this ComputerLab local guest user does not have a password, Windows still displays a password prompt for logging in. This is unintuitive because you have to press the "arrow" button or press the enter key without entering any password to login to the guest user if you manually log out. When the computer is restarted, it automatically signs into the guest user so it's not a major issue but I'd like for the computer lab teacher to be able to, if they want, teach the children to logout (perhaps using a desktop "Sign Out" shortcut I could add) and then the next class is presented with a nice "Sign In" button with no password prompt. Does anyone know if this is possible?

For some context, these are domain joined machines but the ComputerLab guest account is a local account. I can apply any group policy settings that apply to the computer but not to users. I have already enabled "Enumerate local users on domain-joined computers" and that means the ComputerLab guest user is always shown on the login page but it still prompts for the password.

What's even stranger is that when you select the ComputerLab user from the list of local accounts to login to, it actually briefly flashes the "Sign In" button instead of the password box but then it reverts back to prompting for a password.

Tl;dr:

What I currently have with the password prompt for the guest user with no password:

Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password? [​IMG]

How I'd like it to work with just a "Sign In" button:

Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password? [​IMG]

:)

tinfever, Aug 25, 2019

2. reset guest password

Hi Gordon,

Let's look into your local users and update or set a new password for your Guest account. Follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows key, then search and open Local Users and Groups.
    • Open the Users folder.
    • Right-click the Guest entry. On the menu, select Set Password.
    • Select Proceed, then type in the new password.
    • Click OK to save the changes.

Should you need further help. Feel free to let us know.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 25, 2019
  3. Guest Mode

Hi Praveen,

To resolve your concern regarding incorrect password for your Guest account, you need to log in using your Microsoft account password. To disable Guest mode, follow the steps below:

• Right click on the Windows button found at the lower left hand corner of your screen.
    • Click on Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the following command: net user guest /active:no, and then press
      Enter.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

Ruizell Rey, Aug 25, 2019
  4. Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password?

Hi Voytek,

To remove the guest account from your start screen, we suggest that you try the following steps:

• Right-click Start menu, then select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enable guest account first by typing net user guest /active:yes, then press
      Enter.
    • Disable guest account by typing net user guest /active:no, then press
      Enter.
    • Perform a
      clean boot in Windows.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Angela Pun, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password?

1. Possible to have "Sign In" button for Guest user with no password? - Similar Threads - Possible Sign button

2. Missing users. can only sign in as guest account.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing users. can only sign in as guest account.: I started a new job at a small business, and they no longer have an IT guy so no local support at all I am missing a user that was used for file sharing and being able to view the same excel info and what not. Currently i can only use guest and use the quickbooks downloaded...
  3. Missing users. can only sign in as guest account.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing users. can only sign in as guest account.: I started a new job at a small business, and they no longer have an IT guy so no local support at all I am missing a user that was used for file sharing and being able to view the same excel info and what not. Currently i can only use guest and use the quickbooks downloaded...
  4. Guest User Password Attached To Email

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Guest User Password Attached To Email: Hello, I'm posting in hopes of finding a solution to help me sort out this hassle I've recently discovered. I own a laptop that my father also unfortunately uses and I've recently discovered that the user he uses to log in uses the password that's directly attached to my...
  5. Guest User Password Attached To Email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Guest User Password Attached To Email: Hello, I'm posting in hopes of finding a solution to help me sort out this hassle I've recently discovered. I own a laptop that my father also unfortunately uses and I've recently discovered that the user he uses to log in uses the password that's directly attached to my...
  6. Guest User Password Attached To Email

7. sign in to guest account

sign in to guest account: I have set up a guest account form my great grand daughter who is 4. It worked fine for a few days but now the small window where you type in password will not accept text; the cursor just flashes. I can sign into my account with no trouble. I have not tried any fixes as yet....
  8. sign in to guest account

in Windows 10 Customization
    sign in to guest account: I have set up a guest account form my great grand daughter who is 4. It worked fine for a few days but now the small window where you type in password will not accept text; the cursor just flashes. I can sign into my account with no trouble. I have not tried any fixes as yet....
  9. sign in to guest account

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Is it possible to prevent the creation of guest users in Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to prevent the creation of guest users in Windows 10 Pro?: . submitted by /u/xxxxxxxxxlll [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/oib95a/is_it_possible_to_prevent_the_creation_of_guest/