Windows 10: Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD?

Discus and support Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The machine is running Win10 1903 on MSI Titan GT80 SLI. The SSD is Samsung PM981 1TB. I am in a situation where I might need to hot-plug the above... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dictum, Jul 26, 2019.

1. dictum Win User

Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD?

The machine is running Win10 1903 on MSI Titan GT80 SLI.

The SSD is Samsung PM981 1TB.

I am in a situation where I might need to hot-plug the above SSD. I attempted to install Linux onto one of the SSDs, PCIe. It makes the system unbootable. I have Win10 on SSD #1 and #3, Linux was installed on #2. Not only does it make the system unbootable, my BCD entries disappear, there is something on that Linux SSD that deletes them and its own Grub bootloader takes over.

Is the Samsung PM981 resilient enough so that the power surge won't destroy it?

I need to format that drive but if I insert it, it not only makes the system unbootable but all the other drive entries disappear from BIOS and cannot be added!! It's a dead end. Or I need to find another computer that takes 2280 SSD and format it there.

:)

dictum, Jul 26, 2019
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Jul 26, 2019
  3. Shrout1 Win User
    Thunderbolt 2.0 hot plug problems Windows 10

TL;DR:

For some reason hot plugging my Thunderbolt dock is not working correctly on my new laptop. I am trying to determine if I've overlooked a troubleshooting step.

Problem:

If the dock is unplugged after the system has already booted then my USB devices (mouse & keyboard) will not reconnect when the dock is reconnected. Thunderbolt monitor reconnects, but not USB. No power is provided to the keyboard or mouse - keyboard lights do not illuminate & optical sensor on the mouse stays dark. This is resolved with a reboot, but the problem persists.

Hardware / Software:

• Dell Precision M3800
    • BIOS A09 (previously upgraded to A10 before motherboard replacement)
    • Windows 10 (direct upgrade from Windows 7 64 Bit Professional )
    • Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock HD
    • Thunderbolt (TM) Controller - 157D
      • Device manager hardware ID "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_157D&SUBSYS_11112222&REV_00"
      • This is an Intel hardware ID (fitting as Intel makes Thunderbolt)
    • GRUB bootloader
      • Kali Linux on second hard drive partition

Attempted fixes: (None of these solved the problem)

• All Intel Chipset drivers reinstalled from Dell's website via their tech support's recommendation
    • Driver update on Thunderbolt controller yields "Software for your device is up to date"
    • "Fresco logic USB3.0 host controller" reinstalled
    • Upgraded original OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10
    • Upgraded system BIOS from A09 to A10
    • Had Belkin directly replace the docking station with a new one
    • Had Dell directly replace the system motherboard
      • The new board has the A09 BIOS
    • Stopped and started Thunderbolt (TM) service
    • Booted into Safe mode
      • Thunderbolt works on boot but the thunderbolt service cannot run in safe mode
      • Hot plugging fails to work correctly in safe mode
    • All Thunderbolt devices involved have been authorized in the "Thunderbolt TM Software" and set to "Always Connect"

Other Notes:

• An identical Precision M3800 and Belkin dock were ordered at the same time as my own
      • This other laptop does not have the same problems mine does with hot plugging
      • This other "working" laptop has been used with both docks w/o problems hot plugging
      • The "non-working" laptop has the same problems hot plugging with both docks
      • The working laptop has Windows 10 loaded onto it - it was also upgraded from x64 7 Pro
      • The working laptop does not have GRUB or a second OS installed
    • Cannot locate drivers for the "Thunderbolt 157D controller" on Intel's website.
      • It is possible that this is a rebadged controller they are already manufacturing; complete dearth of information.

Last Thoughts:

• Is there anything obvious I am overlooking?
    • Is there some problem with hot plugging when GRUB is installed or a second OS is on a system?
    • Are there any pieces of system software that typically interfere with hot plugging thunderbolt devices?
    • With this description would a fresh OS reinstall likely fix the issue?

Apologies for the length of this post; thus far commercial tech support has been limited and time consuming. I am hopeful that someone in the community may already be familiar with this issue.

Shrout1, Jul 26, 2019
  4. Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD?

Samsung 960 Evo SSD not recognized W10

• I bought a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 and along with it a Samsung 500gb 960 Evo SSD. I followed instructions carefully, plugged the SSD into my laptops hardware. I did the hardware changes before turning on the laptop for the first time. Everything went smooth
      and everything is set up. The problem is Windows 10 cant recognize the SSD. It doesnt show up in Disk Management or Samsung Data Migration. Ive read the forums about 100 times and no one seems to have the exact same problem as me. Ive updated Windows 10, all
      my drivers and troubleshot Windows updates. The computer cant find the SSD and I need some help.

Daniel Steinthor M. Norddahl, Jul 26, 2019
Thema:

Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD?

1. Possible to hot-plug Samsung SSD? - Similar Threads - Possible hot plug

2. Display Port hot plug

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display Port hot plug: Hi, I just upgraded my setup with a few new displays on PC. The PC Specs are: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PlusAMD Ryzen 7 5800X3DMSI Gaming T Trio 3080VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16And the new displays:3x Dell S2721DGF1x LG OLED55C21LAAnd I have the following...
  3. Display Port hot plug

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display Port hot plug: Hi, I just upgraded my setup with a few new displays on PC. The PC Specs are: Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PlusAMD Ryzen 7 5800X3DMSI Gaming T Trio 3080VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB 2 x 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16And the new displays:3x Dell S2721DGF1x LG OLED55C21LAAnd I have the following...
  4. Display Port hot plug

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. External mSata ssd very hot.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External mSata ssd very hot.: Having tried HWiNFO64 to get temperature of external drive. = 53/54 Celsius Kingston mSata SUV500MS 480GB in aluminium enclosure via short cable to USB C/Thunderbolt socket. Machine uses AHCI. Task Manager shows ssd at gentle use but is nearly too hot to keep hand on casing....
  6. Display Port Hot Plug detection

Display Port Hot Plug detection: This has been a problem for the better part of the decade. What happens is when a monitor is connected using DP and goes to sleep, windows would shift open windows/icons to other non-DP monitors. Can we just get an option to disable hot plug detection?...
  7. Laptop hot when idle and plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop hot when idle and plugged in: So I'm having this problem with my laptop Eluktronics Mech-15 G2R I use my laptop plugged in 99% of the time, so it's not a battery charging overheating thing. When I unplug the laptop, the temperature drops to 45C which keeps the fans inactive. However, when I plug it in...
  8. samsung 860 ssd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    samsung 860 ssd: I plan on getting a Samsung 860 evo 250 gbs on Thursday. My current stats are i5 3.3 ghz 500gb hdd only 85 used in 6 years, windows 10 upgrade from 7. My question is what improvement does this normally make. I think the programs will start faster but how fast. Will page...
  9. samsung 860 ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    samsung 860 ssd: I plan on getting a Samsung 860 evo 250 gbs on Thursday. My current stats are i5 3.3 ghz 500gb hdd only 85 used in 6 years, windows 10 upgrade from 7. My question is what improvement does this normally make. I think the programs will start faster but how fast. Will page...
  10. Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series

Samsung Magician / Samsung SSD 840 series: [img] I get above error; I've updated the intel rapid storage driver and asmedia sata controller driver. My motherboard is an asus z97 deluxe. Help is appreciated; thx ! 59239