Windows 10: Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?

Discus and support Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I know this is a long shot but... I had to reinstall Windows on my SSD. Then discovered I have work on another disk encrypted using Window's normal... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by vinhos3, Apr 10, 2017.

1. vinhos3 Win User

Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?

I know this is a long shot but...

I had to reinstall Windows on my SSD. Then discovered I have work on another disk encrypted using Window's normal EFS. Since it might be possible to recover some files from the old Windows installation, is there any way I could somehow recover the key(s)?

Thanks.

:)

vinhos3, Apr 10, 2017
  2. Tryx3 Win User

Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

There is no solution available without the encryption key.

Might you be able to run
    Recuva
    or similar on the old drive to undelete the old key [there is some information about its location in

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/278973-45-decryption-encrypted-file
    ]? If you can get at the old key then the procedure used here should be able to help you -

How to open EFS encrypted files on an HDD that came from Windows XP

Without the key you are not going to recover those files. EFS is too good for that.

Denis

Tryx3, Apr 10, 2017
  3. Need guidance on decrypting Windows-encrypted files after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

UPDATE: It appears that the files of interest were automatically encrypted using
    Windows EFS. I went through the process of trying to recover the missing course files again, using 3rd party software. When I did a search to recover the original folder the tool returned a list of files to individually select, each of which
    was listed in this format:

Drive...\foldername:$EFS:$LOGGED_UTILITY_STREAM\....filename

I believe that this is entirely something different from BitLocker.

With this in mind, does anyone have some new suggestions?

Thanks,

-DS

darksquare, Apr 10, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @vinhos3,

If you still have the Windows.old can't you just roll back to your previous version for a while? Or was it so badly damaged that you can't use it, even in Safe Mode?

5. vinhos3 Win User
    I formatted the SSD first, so no Window.old. But I could recover individual files easily with a data recovery program.

vinhos3, Apr 10, 2017
  6. RolandJS Win User
    And, how will the data recovery program be able to de-encrypt each recovered file?

RolandJS, Apr 10, 2017
  7. simrick Win User
    I'm not sure, but I think the certificate needs to be "exported" and then "imported", so you may be out of luck.

simrick, Apr 11, 2017
  8. dalvik Win User

Hey,

I have the same problem like you.My data on the external hard drive is encrypted.
    PC disk drive was fos formated and the reinstalled windows has a new id etc...
    Did you find a way how to decrypt the data without the certificate ?
    Or any other solutions...

dalvik, Jul 26, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Whole point of encryption is to prevent people doing what you ask!

There may be dodgy or even outright illegal methods to do this but we are not permitted to discuss such things on this forum.

cereberus, Jul 26, 2017
  10. dalvik Win User
    Sorry and yes you're right.I did not express myself well.Just wanted to know if there is a way how to get the certificate.But it doesnt seems like that and my data is gone :/

dalvik, Jul 27, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    The problem with encryption is some important feature is saved in the Registry, reinstalling Windows can write a new Registry causing problems. The Registry is made up of 5 text files called Hives, problems in any one of them can have dire consequences.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation? - Similar Threads - Possible recover EFS

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. Is it possible to recover the Windows authentication key after formatting the computer?

Is it possible to recover the Windows authentication key after formatting the computer?: I formatted my computer, a 2013 HP all in one and I did not save my Windows 8.1 activation key and some guy already downloaded Windows 10 and the key that PowerShell returns is not valid. Is there any hope for me to recover the Windows key that was loaded from the factory to...
  5. Is it possible to recover the Windows authentication key after formatting the computer?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is it possible to recover the Windows authentication key after formatting the computer?: I formatted my computer, a 2013 HP all in one and I did not save my Windows 8.1 activation key and some guy already downloaded Windows 10 and the key that PowerShell returns is not valid. Is there any hope for me to recover the Windows key that was loaded from the factory to...
  6. Is it possible to recover the Windows authentication key after formatting the computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?: I have a use case where I accidentally started to format my Bitlocker encrypted drive 8TB Sata drive but around 1-2 seconds into the format I realized my mistake and immediately ctrl-c out of the format. Would it be possible for me to recover any of my data. I still have...
  8. Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?

Is it possible to recover data from bitlocker drive that was partially formatted by accident?: I have a use case where I accidentally started to format my Bitlocker encrypted drive 8TB Sata drive but around 1-2 seconds into the format I realized my mistake and immediately ctrl-c out of the format. Would it be possible for me to recover any of my data. I still have...
  9. Recover EFS key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Recover EFS key: Hi, I recently forgot to backup the EFS key from Win 1709 and upgraded my system parts and installed Win 20H2. Now I cannot open my encrypted files, they are not essential but would be pleased to try and retrieve them. Luckily, 1) I have those files on my D:/ backup drive,...
  10. Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is it possible to recover a product key from an old PC: hi i'm wondering if i can remotely recover an old product key retail version of windows 10 i no longer have access to the harddisk, but i can see the PC in my micorsoft account. is there a way to do this? thanks, Sam...