Windows 10: Possible to swap motherboard and still retain Windows 10?

Discus and support Possible to swap motherboard and still retain Windows 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I'm using a MS OS Build 19041.329. Win 10 enterprise account. Recently I had my PC formatted as some files were corrupted. Since I wanted the PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mystvearn, Jul 5, 2020.

1. mystvearn Win User

Possible to swap motherboard and still retain Windows 10?

Hi,

I'm using a MS OS Build 19041.329. Win 10 enterprise account. Recently I had my PC formatted as some files were corrupted. Since I wanted the PC immediately for work, no drivers were installed. I noticed that windows update is good enough to go find all the relevant software updates without me installing anything at all. This also include the connected peripherals such as printers, webcams. The only driver which I had to install was the MS Ergonomic Keyboard which was a bit slow at detection (maybe since I had not assign the keys.

So, If I just take the SSD hard drive out from my H81 board and put it into a B550 board, it should work right? I just delete all the drivers in device manager and just let windows figure everything out with the new hardware? Save my time of having to send the PC back to IT to have it reformat again. Also after reformatting, I still need to sync my entire onedrive with my pc. Everything is already sync in real-time to One Drive. Also download windows updates. It will take a day to finish download. I usually do it at the end of the day so that I get a fresh pc the next day.

:)

mystvearn, Jul 5, 2020
  2. Mifflin Win User

Duplicate Devices Shown After Motherboard Swap

Hello,

I recently swapped my motherboard and clean installed Windows 10 (Education Student Edition) on my desktop. In my account page on Microsoft.com I am now being shown two (2) PCs, the current one with the new motherboard and the old one with the old mother
    board (no longer assembled). The format for both of them is listed as follows:

PC NAME

MS-1234

Serial #: To be filled by O.E.M.**

Windows 10 Education

(10.0.12345.67)

**The old PC has nothing listed as the serial #.

Now, there is an option to simply remove the PC from my account. What I'm concerned with here is if that is the correct choice without needing to do anything else. What I mean is, on the old motherboard is my OS still installed and if I delete the old PC
    from my account could it cause potential problems in the future? Thank you four your time and guidance.

Regards,

Mifflin, Jul 5, 2020
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jul 5, 2020
  4. VisioWL Win User

Windows 10 not activated after motherboard swap

Hi,

I've ran into interesting problem after swapping out my computer's motherboard. The old motherboard contained a windows 8.1 pro key in the bios and the computer was upgraded to window 10 pro. After I swapped out the motherboard, the old one was fried, and
    put the new one in, I can't activate windows anymore.

The new motherboard contains a new windows 8.1 key but is there a way to activate it? Or do i simply have to reinstall windows 10?

Best regards.

VisioWL, Jul 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Possible to swap motherboard and still retain Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Possible swap motherboard

2. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  3. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated: I changed my motherboard without taking notes of my windows key so now my windows appears as deactivated.I tried to access the troubleshoot but it only gives me errors of not reaching the servers, also, a button to try through microsoft account doesnt even appear....
  4. Swapped motherboard and windows is deactivated

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. WIndows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard Swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 Reactivation after Motherboard Swap: Hello, I recently upgraded my PC motherboard and am having some issues activating Windows. Before I upgraded, I linked my Windows digital license to my Microsoft account hoping that this would prevent any issues. However, when I booted up after replacing the motherboard,...
  6. Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Motherboard swap - Windows 10 Key Question: Continuation of a question I asked a while back, thanks to those that replied! So if I have two computers I was interested in swapping motherboards between. Both have separate installations of Window 10 on them, and I have keys for both. If I swap the motherboards around,...
  7. windows 10 and motherboard swapping

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows 10 and motherboard swapping: I bought a computer everything already built. it came with windows 10 on it. I have been slowly upgrading the components over time. My question is, is windows 10 tied to the hard drive or the motherboard. Ive read before that some people have problems swapping in a new...
  8. Windows activation after motherboard swap

Windows activation after motherboard swap: I called Microsoft support to help with activating windows after I changed my motherboard. I have a digital licence that I received when upgrading from Windows 7 years ago. This had survived a previous motherboard swap a few years ago with no issue. Support told me there...
  9. Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap

Windows not Reactivating after Motherboard Swap: Hey everyone, I just swapped out my motherboard on my computer and got the activate windows message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen. Before replacing my motherboard, I had a Windows 10 Pro license. The troubleshooter doesn't seem to allow me to re-activate...
  10. windows 10 activatation after motherboard swap

windows 10 activatation after motherboard swap: I recently got a new motherboard for my pc, but when I booted up windows I didn't have an activation license, I ran the troubleshooter, clicked on "I changed hardware recently, and it gave me the option to choose the PC I was currently on, it wasn't listed, only the PC with...