Windows 10: Possibly corrupt Windows - Black Screen w/ cursor

Discus and support Possibly corrupt Windows - Black Screen w/ cursor in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; My Windows 10 computer no longer reaches the sign-in screen, following a Memory_Management Bsod. I've had the error before but the computer has always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Freidan, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Freidan Win User

Possibly corrupt Windows - Black Screen w/ cursor

My Windows 10 computer no longer reaches the sign-in screen, following a Memory_Management Bsod. I've had the error before but the computer has always been fine afterward. I admit that I turned the powr off of the machine when it reached 100%, as in my experience the new BSOD's never restart the machine.

After BIOS, I get the windows logo, loading circle, then black screen with loading circle. At this point I can move the mouse cursor I cannot ever recall being able to see the mouse with the loading wheel. After a few seconds the cursor vanishes, I move it, and it has reset to the center of the screen. Even after the loadingwheel goes away, Icontinue to have the mouse vanish and reset to the center of the screen, and the active NumLock Key blinks, as if Windows is trying to start but its on a proverbial broken record.

What I've tried:
    -Installing Windows on another drive

--The install somehow did not succeed. That Windows is missing a certain file, which I didn't write down. It was installed on 10 y/o HDD, but my primary Windows is on a 1 y/o SanDisk SSD.

-Using install media to fix Windows

--Tried Startup recovery. It starts this for a few seconds then immediately reboots the machine

-Replacing RAM with older ones that worked the last time I used them with this machine

--No change in performance at all. This tells me my RAM is fine.

--I cannot try slot 1 and 3 as my CPU heat sink is covering slot 1, in the event my mobo's RAM slots are malfunctioning but if I can start up USB install media, then that should mean RAM is still functioning.

Other notes:

-My BIOS has an XpressRecovery2, which I used to use when I had Windows 7 to enter safe mode and other diagnostic tools, but upon moving to Windows 10, I cannot enter it, and thus have no direct access to those tools.

-During BIOS, sometimes It only shows my RAM speed followed by my detected Drives. Usually, it shows my processor info and some other stuff, then the RAM and drives. I don't know if this is normal for rebooting, as this oddity seems to appear during a button press Restart, but I'm not 100% sure of it.

-Black screen with cursor does not allow me to Ctrl Alt Del.

:)

Freidan, Sep 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 Black Screen, No Cursor

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

Please follow the below suggestion and check if that helps.

If you see the black screen only
    after sign-in and you can see a mouse cursor:

• While at the black screen, try using CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to start Task Manager.
    • If it becomes visible, try finding LockAppHost.exe on the Details tab and ending the task.
    If this resolves the black screen, use corruption resolution steps.

Perform SFC scan.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to scan your system
    files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows.

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 ( Applies to Windows 10 as well).

I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
    To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Sep 6, 2020
  3. Al Kozl Win User
    Windows 10 black screen w/cursor

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, Windows 10 recently updated. It is in the sleep mode, black screen w/ cursor. Cannot get it out of sleep mode to attempt fixes . Help !

Al Kozl, Sep 6, 2020
  4. BetsyCole Win User

Black screen with blinking cursor

I run Windows 10 and have a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. I can hit Control, Alt, Delete, and it reboots momentarily, show the Dell logo and F2 Setup anf F12 Boot Options in the lower right corner. Regardless of what key
    I hit, it goes right back to the Black screen w/ cursor. I can't seem to do anything. Any suggestions?

BetsyCole, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Possibly corrupt Windows - Black Screen w/ cursor - Similar Threads - Possibly corrupt Black

2. windows black screen with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows black screen with cursor: I installed an update on my windows 10. After update I see black screen with cursor. I tried different fix. In safe mode also the problem persists. The scannow from cmd prompt also show there are some corrupt files but windows is unable to fix them. I restarted gpu drive, but...
  3. Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login: Hey all, trying to help my gf with some computer issues, We were playing games and hanging out on discord last night, we went to sleep, she attempted to wake her computer up in the morning, she gets a black screen after login with cursor. Walked through the typical steps,...
  4. Black Screen w/ Cursor after startups

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black Screen w/ Cursor after startups: Starting a few days ago, every time I boot my pc from being off or I restart it my PC is black screen with a cursor. I'm able to get it fixed by uninstalling my graphics driver then reinstalling an old one, but it happens continuously when I boot my operating system. I tried...
  5. Black Screen W/Cursor Help Please.

Black Screen W/Cursor Help Please.: I came home from Thanksgiving day dinner only to have a Black screen with a cursor and I have tried almost all the repair options I could find on the net. My main problem is I have not task manager that will come up or when trying the safe mode option all I see is still the...
  6. Black screen w cursor. "Tablet driver is not running"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen w cursor. "Tablet driver is not running": Yesterday my Dell XPS 15 decided it would update itself without asking. I leave it over night. 9 hours later it's at 90%. A few more hours later it's displaying the log in screen wallpaper without controls. A few more hours still the same. It didn't look as if it was updating...
  7. Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boots to black screen w/ no cursor: I just plugged in a new monitor, and the monitor shows the boot screen, then just shows a black screen, I looked it up on YouTube, and they all said to press Ctrl+alt+del, open task manager, I do somethi g else, but i cant open tadk manager either. Ive restarted my computer,...
  8. Black Screen w/ Cursor + shaky screen that goes off and on randomly

Black Screen w/ Cursor + shaky screen that goes off and on randomly: This problem started a few months ago. When it first started, every time I entered my password into the start screen, it would lead me to a black screen w/ cursor. I left this problem alone for a while, and recently when I opened the computer back up, the start screen was...
  9. Black screen w/cursor after login and extremely slow

Black screen w/cursor after login and extremely slow: The title explains it all. Aftee restarting my PC a few hours ago, it booted up extremely slowly, logged me in slowly, and then displayed a black screen. I tried to reinstall windows while keeping my files, but that didn't do anything. Whenever I press ctrl alt delete it...
  10. Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login.

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen w/ Cursor After Login.: Hi, I've got a serious issue. My newly built computer has been having issues since about day 3. First, let me list off relevant hardware and software. MoBo: ASUS Z170-A CPU: Intel 6600k i5 GPU: MSI 1070 GTX RAM: 32GB DDR4 128GB SSD 1TB HDD 1.5TB HDD 650w PSU...