Windows 10: Possibly stupid question - Build 1709 as Windows Update. If yes when ?

Discus and support Possibly stupid question - Build 1709 as Windows Update. If yes when ? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; *Ditto But I also believe Navy has posted that he's updated many machines using the windows update method and has not had 1 problem. My update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DjDiabolik, Nov 6, 2017.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Possibly stupid question - Build 1709 as Windows Update. If yes when ?

No, I have never waited for Windows Updates on these big updates. Download ISO file once, usually the day it is available as a non-Insider build, upgrade all computers at once. I've had a couple of updates fail to install that way. One was a very old installation of Windows that who knows what the now departed user of that particular computer clicked on to mess Windows up enough to not take the upgrade, and the other was an installation that I was messing around with myself testing different things. My feeling is I would like to know right up front if the update is going to fail, so I can fix it. Other than just plain failing to install, I've never had a major update cause any serious problems once it installed successfully.

To the original question:

Yes, build 1709 is being pushed through Windows Update, just like all the past updates have and likely all the future updates will. The next question is when. The answer to that question is that it could be tonight, it could be one week from now, it could be one month from now, it may never happen, and the worse scenario is it will attempt it and fail multiple times causing you tens of GBs of useless downloads.

To me Windows Update is meant for those 100s of millions of users who have absolutely no idea that there is even a major Windows 10 update in existence. It's a method to allow Microsoft to push it in through the back door. But if you know it's there, and you're checking for it every day or week.....I guess if that's your thing, it really shouldn't matter to me, I don't have to click on all the threads, "When will I get it? Should I have gotten it now? Do I need the Anniversary Update before I get the FCU because I still haven't gotten the Anniversary Update yet?"

NavyLCDR, Nov 7, 2017

2. I myself have always updated Manually each feature update, but with a backup in place prior to starting the backup is what I've always done even on my Original HP P6-2133W older a bit Desktop, my old Asus M52BC_M32BC system last year for Anniversary update/and Spring Creators, and then when got Fall Creators had my shiny new Asus G11CD Intel based system, so did upgrade manually again.

NO major problems, just lost access to Windows 10 Pro for some reason, possibly due to embedded UEFI Key in UEFI Bios, but was solved via chatting with Microsoft Answer Tech

AMDMan2016, Nov 7, 2017
  3. Bree New Member
    As far as waiting for windows update to say it's your turn, there's no way to know for sure how Microsoft decide a machine is ready. There may be just one piece of hardware in you machine that's a 'problem device'. MS regularly update compatibility definitions as they learn more about problems/successes from their telemetry, and as new drivers are written to deal with known issues (like the Broadcom one that held up the 1703 rollout for some).

All you can do is make sure you have all the latest updates - checking manually helps (windows update only checks automatically about once a week). Then when it's your turn you'll get the 'Features Update for Windows 10, version 1709' as soon as it's deemed ready for you.

4. f14tomcat Win User

I agree with the general consensus. If it's not offered in what you consider a reasonable time frame, go the route of Media Creation Tool or Windows Update Assistant. Also quicker and less wear and tear on the machine and you.....*Wink

Both on same MS page: Download Windows 10

f14tomcat, Nov 7, 2017
  5. Read correctly the title........... it's include "when".

The point of thread it's clear...... or I thought the question could be clear..........possibly not ?

Obviously the build 1709 will sooner or later be released on the windows update... the sense of thread it's know a possibly ETA and all it's already clear on my side......

*EDIT*
    I have also mark the thread as "Solved" right now.... it's ok now ? *sarc

DjDiabolik, Nov 8, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    And that's the problem. It is impossible to give you an ETA. You might get it tomorrow via Windows Update with just an equal a possibility that you will never get it via Windows Update.

NavyLCDR, Nov 8, 2017
  7. kimkl Win User
    @DjDiabolik
    I normally get a long with other people and if i rub them the wrong way i apologize, i understand your frustration but your last reply's really rub me the wrong way, or its my kidney stones rubbing me in a bad way, *Biggrin
    Okay jokes aside a lot of cleaver people really tried helping you out but asking for an ETA is like calling your local Airport and asking when the next plane will drop out of the sky.
    But glad you had it sorted even though my PC is old by today's standard Asus Z97 pro Gamer i7 and what ever GTX1050ti and so on in short ready for the dumpster i got the 1709 at 23.59 and at 01.59 was still waiting for it to finish when you have a Optic fiber con 500/500 you seem to think anything over instant is to slow but it finally got done i installed without a hitch and beat my head for a couple of days "saying what demon possessed me to click update" and answer to that is new is better the grass is always greener and so on i am now back on 1703 oonly problem was a program i updated now i can't uninstall it or reinstall it because when i rolled back to 1703 reg info did not match so i have to fix that someday.
    So i have now told you i thought your post started out good your reply's suck and that's okay but try and say thx to all the clever people in here who jumped to your rescue, i mean if your drowning don't beat the lifeguard with a stick until your feet can touch bottom
    Thank you

kimkl, Nov 8, 2017
  8. Possibly stupid question - Build 1709 as Windows Update. If yes when ?

OMG Friends..... about 20 minutes ago....
    1709 it's still at downloading on my PC by Windows Update *Smile

Microsoft heard my "complaints" *Smile

DjDiabolik, Nov 15, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Ah- it's true then- MS IS spying on us all after all...*chuckle

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Possibly stupid question - Build 1709 as Windows Update. If yes when ? - Similar Threads - Possibly stupid question

2. A stupid display question..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A stupid display question..: Hello guys! I'm Alex from italy. I just can't figure out how can I switch between my two monitor. I try to explain better. My second monitor is a TV connected with hdmi cable, sometimes I need to see the second desktop while the normal TV is running without switching the...
  3. A stupid display question..

in Windows 10 Customization
    A stupid display question..: Hello guys! I'm Alex from italy. I just can't figure out how can I switch between my two monitor. I try to explain better. My second monitor is a TV connected with hdmi cable, sometimes I need to see the second desktop while the normal TV is running without switching the...
  4. Stupid question

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stupid question: I just bought a new laptop, and I want to change the lock screen to a picture from a file. I did everything you're supposed to do, but I can't find an 'ok' button, or 'save changes' button, or whatever. How do I get my changes to stick?...
  5. Sorry if this is a stupid question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sorry if this is a stupid question: submitted by /u/spinelazuli [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j4xsfu/sorry_if_this_is_a_stupid_question/
  6. This might be a stupid question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This might be a stupid question: Does factory resetting a laptop also factory reset my pc? Windows 10 is tied to my email which is used for both laptop and pc with synced settings turn on submitted by /u/pogbxxx [link] [comments]...
  7. Updating But Staying With Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.847) Question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updating But Staying With Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.847) Question: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...ch.aspx?q=1709 My Win 10 Version Pro according to winver is Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.847)For this bootable partition I want to stay with 1709 but it has had no security updates or any updates for that matter for about a year now....
  8. Updating But Staying With Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.847) Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Updating But Staying With Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.847) Question: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...ch.aspx?q=1709 My Win 10 Version Pro according to winver is Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.847)For this bootable partition I want to stay with 1709 but it has had no security updates or any updates for that matter for about a year now....
  9. Windows stupid... have questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows stupid... have questions: I rarely use Windows, but need it sometimes to help my children with their computer problems/needs. I have an HP dm4-3050us laptop that came with windows 7 Home. I have done the upgrade to Windows 10 and everything is working all right. The computer is dual booted with Linux...
  10. Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask

in Windows 10 Support
    Possibly the question that is too stupid to ask: I am trying to use VMware's Vcenter to virtualize my production system which is on the same machine. To begin the process it asks for hostname or IP address, user name, and password for my real machine. Unless vVcenter is broken no matter what I put in there is always an...