Windows 10: Post Build 10586 Update Woes

Discus and support Post Build 10586 Update Woes in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Yesterday, Windows Update sent me an update to install Windows 10 Pro Build 10586. I didn't expect it but I've been trying to fix my Win 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mfaklis, Nov 14, 2015.

1. mfaklis Win User

Post Build 10586 Update Woes

Yesterday, Windows Update sent me an update to install Windows 10 Pro Build 10586. I didn't expect it but I've been trying to fix my Win 10 Pro installation since the two-hour update finished.

• I couldn't get the Start button to do anything until I restarted my system again.
    • This update removed some applications in the same manner as the 8.1 -> 10 upgrade. I have no idea what it removed but I am coming across them. Microsoft Office 2013 was not uninstalled, but every Office 2013 program was removed from the Start menu and from the tiles screen.
    • File History cannot be started. I click on it and nothing pops up.
    • The event viewer cannot show any events, making it difficult to debug File History (Among other problems).
    • Windows 7 Backup cannot run. It gets error code 0x81000019, and tells me to check the VSS and SPP application logs, which is impossible (see previous item).
    • The recovery partition on the boot disk is now listed in Windows Explorer (111mb free of 449mb). Opening that volume shows no files, even hidden files.
    • Norton Security Virus and Firewall will not start. There is a pop-up showing a conflict with Windows Defender. I must select which program I want to use on each restart.

These problems are just what I've been trying to fix in the last day. I ask others to add their problems to this thread and hope we can post the solutions.

:)

mfaklis, Nov 14, 2015

2. Post Build 10586 Update Woes

I do not wish to repeat this exercise. I found November to be a very stressful month documenting the problems with the 1511 update. I have more experience with Windows, having used it since Windows 1. I've done an informal survey of other Windows users
    known by me. The 1511 update bricked everyone's computer running Windows 10.
    None of them have been able to recover.
    Most users don't have the skills necessary to deal with this fiasco.

If Microsoft wants to save some of their user base, they will need to follow the Apple model of a genius bar, and offer free painless assistance to recovery these systems. Apple needs to go beyond just reinstalling the original disk image. As a professional,
    I run my own servers. All data is on the servers, and only encrypted ghost copies are on my workstations and laptops. Recent events have proven that Microsoft does not have to skills or maturity to protect my data and backups in Azure. I've seen major corporations
    halt due to faulty updates from Microsoft, MacAfee, and Norton. It's foolish to believe vendor false-promises that updates are benign and should be immediately applied (locally or in the cloud). Few of even the most mature corporations as taken sufficient
    steps to mitigate their risk. What chance do home users have?

I'll age incoming updates longer for now on and test them in virtual machines cloned from my production machines. What will Microsoft do to rebuild user trust? Step up to the plate, inform users what happened to their Windows 10 machines, and provide a
    recovery effort quickly.

Michael Faklis, Nov 14, 2015
  3. Post Build 10586 Update Woes

Hi Michael,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Method 1: Repair Office

If you are unable to use any office application, I would suggest you to try repairing office from programs and features. Kindly click on the link below and follow the steps to repair office.

Repair an Office application

Repair an Office application

Method 2: Attempt Disk Clean up in order to correct Error code 0x81000019

Error code 0x81000019 means that you do not have enough space in your system for the backup to run. Therefore, I would suggest you try disk clean up and check if it helps fix your issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Method 3: Disable Windows Defender Manually to avoid antivirus conflict

You can either completely uninstall third party software or you may try disabling Windows defender.

To disable Windows Defender, follow the steps below.

1. Press Windows key and go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender.

2. Turn OFF all the three options mentioned on the right pane.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Nov 14, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    "This update removed some applications" Unfortunately MS, during the upgrade process, will not transfer programs they deem in their wisdom to be incompatible with the upgrade. The sad thing is there's no warning. Others have experienced this. (Interestingly in my cases, Aeroglass caused no real problem with the Win10 upgrade, whereas it borked the upgrade from Win 8.1)

"Norton Security Virus and Firewall will not start." I think it's well-known that AV/Firewalls are vulnerable to these upgrades. The sad thing is MS gives no warning about this. I had to repair Bitdefender in my two cases.

I found after the upgrade:
    My default browser was now Edge, not Pale Moon. It proved harder than I had thought to reset the defaults, needing special action for http.

Not unexpectedly, the icons I had changed reverted to Win 10 icons. Not too hard to reverse this.

Aeroglass reported for some time it was unable to download symbols, and claimed incompatibility with my DWM. Was presumably updated within a day.

With the change to title bars and window borders, Y'z shadow, which I use to generate drop shadows, needed
    a. Amendment to the shadow parameters to removed a transparent border which appeared
    b. Additional exceptions mostly related to Win 10 features and windows to remove empty shadow frames

dalchina, Nov 15, 2015
  5. mfaklis Win User
    The upgrade assigned drive letters to the boot drive's System Reserved (350mb) and the Recovery Partition (450mb). I used diskpart.exe to remove the drive letters from those two (otherwise) hidden partitions.

mfaklis, Nov 15, 2015
  6. mfaklis Win User

mfaklis, Nov 15, 2015
  7. mfaklis Win User
    I found that Norton Security service is not set to start, whereas Microsoft Defender starts automatically. The service dialog screens grey's out the ability to change Defender to not start. As is, Norton finally attempts to start, but displays the conflict with Defender.

When looking at the services started by default, I saw other required services that should have been set to start. That may explain the problems with File History, VSS, etc. I'll try to be more explicit on what services I am concerned about when I take a fresh look.

mfaklis, Nov 15, 2015
  8. mfaklis Win User

After I got the drive letters off those two partitions, Windows Update sent me a new update to 0511. I must admit I don't know the numbering scheme, but after applying yesterdays Windows update to 0511, all of my problems reappeared and none of them were fixed. . Are 0511 and build 10586 the same update? Can anyone explain these version numbering schemes?

mfaklis, Nov 16, 2015
  9. I had to reinstall my printer and will probably find some other peripherals missing, but by far the most annoying thing is that any document or attachment I try to open now opens in Edge. This applies to documents I have had saved for years or items I receive in emails, etc. I want a .pdf to open as a .pdf; I want a Word document to open in Word, etc. Extremely annoying!

How do I change this?

CargoMatatu, Nov 17, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, yes, it's annoying about Edge being reinstated.

Settings, search for 'Default' and set what you want as default.
    However, for browsers, you may well have to go to the 'old' control panel and set certain other things browser related e.g. a particular protocol, or use Set 'this' as the default for all the file types and protocols it can open (or similar).

I had to set HTTP as default for Pale Moon after the upgrade to get hyperlinks from email etc to work again.

However I did not experience other changes of association such as rf, pdf...

dalchina, Nov 17, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I found a problem with VSS when I tried to use Aomei Backupper (which seemed to create the image despite that).

Anyway, to fix it, if your problem is related, there's an easy way:
    How to troubleshoot Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service errors (VSS)

And go down to the 2 downloads above 'Footnote' near the end.

dalchina, Nov 20, 2015
  12. mfaklis Win User
    On Friday after getting nowhere trying to fix my Windows 10 Pro x64 after that November update, I decided to check it and rebuild. I was able to reinstall Windows 10 Pro x64 from my original ISO and everything worked. I started letting Windows Update do it's thing, even letting it reinstall the November upgrade, and everything worked. I then started to reload my applications and all was going well until mid-day today when all of the problems were back:

• The event viewer stopped working and I can't look at any of the event messages "... The request is not supported (50)".
    • File History will not start, with no indication why, because the event viewer is busted!
    • Windows 7 Backup fails with Error code 0x81000019 ... Please check VSS ans SPP application event logs" which is impossible since the event log viewer is busted!
    • The (hidden) System Reserved partition at the beginning of the boot volume reappears with a drive letter (i*Smile and shows 153mb free of 499mb.
    • No problem with Norton Security after the list of error alert popups about conflicts with Windows Defender and Windows Firewall.

I've spent a week with diagnosing and failing to find a solution to my working Windows 10 (pre-november), and getting way too frustrating to the point where I chucked it and rebuild from scratch with no win 7 to win 8.1 to win 10 to win 10 November upgrades.
    After a couple days I got up by installing win 10 pro to a clean disk and applying windows updates including the November upgrade.
    A couple more days reinstalling my applications, then D I S A S T E R ! ! !

Microsoft has been no help what so ever. Win10Forums has tried to help.

I need a workable solution.

mfaklis, Nov 23, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

There should be no need to reinstall earlier Windows versions now you've had Win 10 on your PC; Win 10/MS should automatically register your installation. (either 32 bits or 64 bits- whichever).

Suggest you download latest install media for Win 10, which hopefully (assumption) includes the Nov upgrade, if you see what i mean. Do a clean install of that.

Get a copy of Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect (Free) and an external USB disk at least twice as large as what you're going to back up, and create its boot disk.

Enable System Restore, and install utlities to
    a. implement a daily (e.g.) scheduled restore point (Brink produced one- maybe in eightforums)
    b. allow you to manually create a named one (ok that's just a convenience- you can do that using Windows GUI- I just find it less hassle and quicker)

As soon as your basic installation of Win 10 with drivers is up and running, image it using one of those tools.

Now cautiously start installing your programs; keep a simple log of what you're doing (not on C:!).

Periodically make an incremental or differential image as you prefer using one of those imaging tools.

Thus you can
    a. Restore your image when things go wrong in a time limited way.
    b. Identify what it is that causes you a problem - it sounds like some sort of incompatibility.

Disk imaging is ESSENTIAL. Windows is flimsy and easily takes offence.

dalchina, Nov 23, 2015
  14. NO. The November Upgrade is no longer available for download from the Media Creation Tool site. It was withdrawn on Friday. The Media Creation Tool now downloads the July 29 release, build 10240 as before.

The November Upgrade is now delivered via Windows Update only but with a 30-day delay following installation (by any means) of the user's current version of Windows 10. There are explanations of the reason elsewhere. There is no problem with the Build itself but there is a problem installing it before the user has had 30 days to make a decision about reverting to his previous version of Windows (7 or 8).

Cbarnhorst, Nov 23, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    I had just read that it did. It's very hard to keep track of MS's changes in policy. Thank you for that.

dalchina, Nov 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Post Build 10586 Update Woes - Similar Threads - Post Build 10586

2. Update Woes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update Woes: This is just an opinion for discussion, so far I was able to correct things. To Microsoft: Why do you keep updating Windows 10? And why must you set everything on my PC back to defaults? Do you know how long it takes to reset everything back on my PC? And this...
  3. Laptop fail to update to build 10586 ....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Laptop fail to update to build 10586 ....: I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop. Both desktop update fine to build 10586 but the laptop keep saying up to date after check. Even try Lan connection still no go for laptop to update. Any suggestion to force laptop to update? All running Windows 10 Pro. 29567
  4. Update to Build 10586

Update to Build 10586: I currently have Windows 10 (Build 10240). For some reason when I attempt to update my system it says that no updates are available. Does anyone know why I can't update to Build 10586? The latest Windows Defender updates install, but not the latest build. 43204
  5. Issues with Activation on Build 10586

Issues with Activation on Build 10586: Hi, I'm hoping someone can help. I have been upgrading some machines within my workplace onto windows 10. Using build 10240 I had to set the netsh winhttp proxy - to use our proxy server in order to activate windows. This worked flawlessly and would activate straight...
  6. Build 10586

Build 10586: Hi, Problem updating To Build 10586 from 10576. I am on an x64 platform. After downloading and preparing to install, it then goes "Configuring Update for Windows 10 xx% compete. Do not turn Off Your Computer" When 100% is reached it then Restarts. Upon restart it does not...
  7. Sysprep Clean 10586 Build

Sysprep Clean 10586 Build: I'm having trouble creating a new clean image with Windows 10 1511 (build 10586). Here are my steps: 1) Download the install using Media Creation Tool (10586) - save to USB drive 2) Install Windows 10 (10586) on a test PC from USB drive 3) At OOBE, CTRL-SHIFT-F3 to get...
  8. Installation Problem (BUILD 10586)

Installation Problem (BUILD 10586): Hi...I am on windows 10 home edition ... yesterday i download build 10586 .iso directly from microsoft site since i am unable to download it from windows update...first i try to make it bootable to flash drive using rufus and ran "setup.exe" file but installation disappears...
  9. Unable to update to Build 10586

Unable to update to Build 10586: I tried updating normally using Windows Update. It fails in less than 10 seconds. I tried using Media Creation Tool. It downloads the update, but at the end it fails again and tell me restart my PC and try again. I tried deleting the files at...
  10. Build 10586: Icons flickering

in Windows 10 Support
    Build 10586: Icons flickering: After upgrading to this build, all of the icons and notification center flicker every few seconds. When I click on the Start button, the start menu will open after a while. I've reported this to MS, has anyone else seen this issue? 28915