Windows 10: Post-virus remnant cleanup

Discus and support Post-virus remnant cleanup in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello! I rather shamefully ended up with some nasty adware from that I managed to uninstall and scrub clean through a mixture of Windows Add/Remove... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by gbpeterson, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Post-virus remnant cleanup

Hello!

I rather shamefully ended up with some nasty adware from that I managed to uninstall and scrub clean through a mixture of Windows Add/Remove Program, my antivirus scanner, and Malwarebytes. Things seem to be looking pretty normal now, but there's a few remnants that are sticking around and I'm not sure if there's still malware in the system or if it's just some odds and ends I need to cleanup.

The major one is there seems to be an extra device in the Devices and Drives tab in Simplified Chinese but it cannot be moved, deleted, or even run because the application can't be found might have already been uninstalled or deleted in the cleanup process. Is there anyway to get the logo to go away or is there actually still something there? I've attached a screenshot of the device and the error message I get if I try to move it.

The second is there's one final program that won't uninstall because it said it can't be found. Again, wondering if it's still there or it's just a registry issue that it thinks there's a program there that no longer is that filepath doesn't exist, I've checked.

Finally, there was a new screensaver just a black screen with the date and time in Chinese and I'm not sure how to remove it.

But other than that, I'm no longer getting unwanted ads and the speed is normal. Any advice/thoughts? Thanks for any help!

Post-virus remnant cleanup fa8940f8-7fc9-47d6-8672-65253fa023c1?upload=true.png Post-virus remnant cleanup c3724ee9-978c-492e-a26c-e905b44b5da9?upload=true.png

:)

gbpeterson, Feb 27, 2020

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 27, 2020
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Post-virus remnant cleanup

Delete @virus = HR

Follow below steps to remove @virus = HR,

• Navigate to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup and
      delete System.bat (shift+del - requires Administrator
      privilege)
    • Reboot the Windows
    • Now, delete (shift+del) its
      remnants on desktop, user directories, system drive, windows drive, and root of each partition & drives

#D09r

#D09r Dinesh, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

Post-virus remnant cleanup

1. Post-virus remnant cleanup - Similar Threads - Post virus remnant

2. Windows update remnants

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows update remnants: When i reinstall Windows 11, the new updates keep being interrupted by my bad internet connection.. After i reconnect to the internet, will the updates be updated continously or it will be restarted, if yes how can i clean the remnants files?...
  3. Windows update remnants

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows update remnants: When i reinstall Windows 11, the new updates keep being interrupted by my bad internet connection.. After i reconnect to the internet, will the updates be updated continously or it will be restarted, if yes how can i clean the remnants files?...
  4. [SOLVED] Unable to remove remnants of Windows.Old

[SOLVED] Unable to remove remnants of Windows.Old: Hello,I recently dug up an old computer that I used some times ago. This computer wasn’t performing well so I decided to reset it, so as to have it cleaned up from all the junks and scraps it had. The reset went successfully, everything deleted. Although, when browsing my...
  5. Unable to remove remnants of Windows.Old

Unable to remove remnants of Windows.Old: Hello,I recently dug up an old computer that I used some times ago. This computer wasn’t performing well so I decided to reset it, so as to have it cleaned up from all the junks and scraps it had. The reset went successfully, everything deleted. Although, when browsing my...
  6. Unable to remove remnants of Windows.Old

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to remove remnants of Windows.Old: Hello,I recently dug up an old computer that I used some times ago. This computer wasn’t performing well so I decided to reset it, so as to have it cleaned up from all the junks and scraps it had. The reset went successfully, everything deleted. Although, when browsing my...
  7. Unable to remove remnants of Windows.Old

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Remnant DLL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Remnant DLL: We uninstalled an HP printer, and tossed it. Its icon remained on desktop and in the printers list of devices. A knowledgeable person went through the registry and deleted files with the printer name included. Now on start up we still get a dialog box stating that the...
  9. PROBABLE REMNANTS PREVENTING RE-INSTALLATION

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PROBABLE REMNANTS PREVENTING RE-INSTALLATION: After attempting automatic updates initiated by aTurboTax 2020, received Fatal Error 1603. Downloaded the manual update file forthe program, and installed it successfully ?. The program was started andreceived the notice that updates were being installed, but received Fatal...
  10. Another Disk Cleanup not clearing 'Temorary Files' issue post

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Another Disk Cleanup not clearing 'Temorary Files' issue post: I have read many posts about Disk Cleanup not clearing Temporary Files and tried the various suggestions how to fix it. My problem is that Disk Cleanup shows that I currently have 70mb of temporary files which is getting larger every time I run Cleanup. It adds 0.1 to the...