Windows 10: Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily

Discus and support Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm assuming this has been asked, but I can't find it., so I'm posting a question with answer here. If you want to postpone Windows 10 updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gabe_101, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Gabe_101 Win User

Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily

I'm assuming this has been asked, but I can't find it., so I'm posting a question with answer here.

If you want to postpone Windows 10 updates temporarily (e.g., I'm running an analysis in Python that takes ~14 days, but Windows thinks it's OK to download updates and reboot on day 11, because "no one is using the computer") you can postpone updates "for 35 days":

Settings -> Search for "Advanced Windows Update options" -> Turn on "Pause Updates"

:)

Gabe_101, Oct 15, 2019

2. Simple method to stop Windows 10 from rebooting by itself or disable updates if necessary.

Hi,

To answer your query, automatic reboot is normal when there is an update. You can't turn off the
    update, but you can postpone it. Refer to the steps provided below on how to postpone Windows 10 update:

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on Update & Security.
    • Click on Windows Update.
    • Click the Advanced options link.
    • Check the Defer upgrades option to complete the task.

Regards.

Stephanie Sal, Oct 15, 2019
  3. tfwul Win User
    1709 Fall Creators Update - System Thread Exception Not Handled

@zbook - any suggestions as to how to postpone this 1709 update for a while?
    I went into settings->Windows Update->Advanced Options and see an option

"Temporarily pause updates from being installed on this device for up to 35 days. When updates resume, this device willneed to get the latest updates before it can be paused again."

that can be set to 'Off'.
    But maybe that is the wrong option/method?

Thanks
    -

tfwul, Oct 15, 2019
  4. Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily

Windows Update/Problems Pausing Updates

HI Larry,

With Windows 10, you have the option to plan updates around your busy schedule or pause them. We suggest that you follow the steps provided in this

article
    to schedule updates in Windows 10.

Let us know if you require any further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Oct 15, 2019
Thema:

Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily

1. Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily - Similar Threads - Postpone Pause Updates

2. Temporarily pause Insider updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Temporarily pause Insider updates: The last Windows Canary build messed up my system and I had to roll back to the previous build. If I click on pause Windows Updates for 1 week, it stops everything including spotlight and antivirus and driver updates. When it resumes it tries to download and install the...
  3. Temporarily pause Insider updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Temporarily pause Insider updates: The last Windows Canary build messed up my system and I had to roll back to the previous build. If I click on pause Windows Updates for 1 week, it stops everything including spotlight and antivirus and driver updates. When it resumes it tries to download and install the...
  4. Microphone not working after reboot temporarily

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone not working after reboot temporarily: So what happens is, when I restart my computer my microphone works but then after 1 - 10 minutes it just stops working or gets really quiet to the point where you basically can't hear it, I tried updating drivers, troubleshooting, etc. I can't find a way to fix this, can...
  5. Microphone not working after reboot temporarily

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone not working after reboot temporarily: So what happens is, when I restart my computer my microphone works but then after 1 - 10 minutes it just stops working or gets really quiet to the point where you basically can't hear it, I tried updating drivers, troubleshooting, etc. I can't find a way to fix this, can...
  6. Way to temporarily pause internet on an process?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Way to temporarily pause internet on an process?: Is there any way or app to pause/cut off internet to a single app for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/way-to-temporarily-pause-internet-on-an-process/449da3fb-3db0-422f-aa58-4ad3b37a593e
  7. Pause Updates Not Pausing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Pause Updates Not Pausing: My Windows 10 1903 updated itself on June 29 th. At that point I chose to pause updates until sometime in August. Today, July 10, it tried to update itself again completely ignoring my pause request. Did I do something wrong or is this a bug? Thank you. 136354
  8. How to postpone automatic Windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to postpone automatic Windows 10 update?: I need my computer tonight without interruption and Windows wants to update. How can I tell it to wait til tomorrow? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-postpone-automatic-windows-10-update/d2aa33ea-3627-443e-a466-b82a0c918b80
  9. Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot

Temporarily disable Windows Update Reboot: Hello all, I'm about to have a meltdown caused by Win updates. I'm trying to recover data from a 8TB drive, and it's taking an unusually long amount of time (1+ week), but it's progressing and about done. The drive in question is on it's last leg and the BIOS fails SMART, I...
  10. Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates

Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates: I don't believe I've noticed this before, but on my laptop, that does not have a metered connection or any other WU restrictions other that "Notify to Schedule Restart" I got an option asking if I wanted to install the updates downloaded or reschedule. Is this new? Windows...