Windows 10: Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps

Discus and support Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since the updated Windows 10 invariably needs a restart after the power-on startup, is there a way to postpone certain apps like my backup programs,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by gregyurkon, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps

Since the updated Windows 10 invariably needs a restart after the power-on startup, is there a way to postpone certain apps like my backup programs, until after that restart?

:)

gregyurkon, Dec 12, 2015
  2. ww lady Win User

windows 10 mail

Hi - does anyone know how to postpone or schedule emails when sending them in Windows 10 mail please? Many thanks

ww lady, Dec 12, 2015
  3. DLtrip Win User
    Windows 10 free upgrade not completed, where is it

I downloaded windows 10 free upgrade for windows 7 home on 7/29, then postponed for scheduled time delayed it now I can't find it to complete the upgrade. It did get to the welcome screen asking me to install now or postpone, but now I don't know how to
    get back to that welcome screen to complete the upgrade.

DLtrip, Dec 12, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps

Mm, could you explain why you're needing to restart twice? Not my experience, thankfully..

Maybe someone can help..

dalchina, Dec 12, 2015
  5. Certain apps just don't launch until I restart Windows. All I get when I try to launch them is a "not responding" message. Until I get that resolved, it would be nice to have some sort of "Band-Aid" approach to make sure that automatic backups don't cause additional problems.

gregyurkon, Dec 12, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    That's not normal behaviour as I'm sure you're aware. Are these desktop programs or universal apps? It would be worth resolving that.
    If you provide further details, perhaps someone can help- e.g. a list of such programs, anything else helpful, and whether this started as soon as you installed Win 10 or after some time. Also whether they are programs installed before you upgraded (if you upgraded).

There are 3rd party programs that offer delayed start- e.g. Winpatrol, Startup delayer and I think I've seen that in Glary Utilities.
    Just found this:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-de...ograms-windows

You could also write a small script which launches them after you respond to a prompt.

dalchina, Dec 12, 2015
  7. The only app I've noticed it with is Pandora which is a desktop app, and the first app I launch. I suppose that I should have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it. I'm planning to do that soon.

gregyurkon, Dec 12, 2015
  8. Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps

Re: Pandora. Once I launched the installer, which has a very distinctive look, I realized that I did already uninstall and reinstall it. Unfortunately, the installer hung, so I had to restart Windows again. (If you ever add more smilies, a "sigh" smiley would be nice.*chuckle)

gregyurkon, Dec 12, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Pandora- assuming it's the music downloader- isn't available in the UK, so can't really suggest anything.
    Are you sure the program/version is compatible?

I was trying to find the Microsoft software compatibility site that has a huge list of user voted compatible (or not) software, but can't now.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  10. I never knew about that site until just now, but, apart from internet related issues, I never had any trouble with Pandora under build 10240; the problem (with Pandora) started with the 1511 update.

gregyurkon, Dec 14, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Well, one thing that 1511 changed was file associations- all reverted to the default.
    But one might have thought reinstalling it would have dealt with that.

However, Win 10 doesn't allow programs to set their associations.

Presumably it doesn't use a proxy- sthg to do with internet configuration?
    If you can point me to where I can download a copy, I'll try it, but site access is limited to certain countries.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  12. The only one's I can find are at the Pandora site (which requires a Pandora One account), and Softonic, which redirects you to Pokki, which has a different app with the same logo. I soon as I have a chance, I'll try to download a new copy from Pandora.

gregyurkon, Dec 14, 2015
  13. Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps

It turns out that during the 3 weeks or so that I've had the app, they've upgraded from 2.0.9 to 2.0.10. I guess, even though I'm paying for it, there's no automatic check for updates like there is with some fee software I have. (Another good place for a "sigh" smiley which I suggested earlier.*Smile)

gregyurkon, Dec 14, 2015
  14. I don't know yet. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 shutdowns and power-ups between incidents, so it's going to be a while before I know.

gregyurkon, Dec 14, 2015
  15. dalchina New Member
    Do you experience the same thing if you log off, log on?
    I'm thinking perhaps there's some sort of conflict between the state of your PC (software/hardware/settings.. whatever) that prevents Pandora launching, and restarting clears that conflict.

Basically it could be an app hang situation.
    So you'd need to use the event viewer and see what you can find.

You could also try (as a first pass) Nirsoft's Appcrashview and Whatishang
    Get information about Windows software that stopped responding/freezing (hang)

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
Thema:

Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps

1. Postpone or Schedule Startup Apps - Similar Threads - Postpone Schedule Startup

2. Postpone e-mails

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Postpone e-mails: Hello, I'd like to send various emails to my employees when it's their birthday. Sometimes this is a Sunday or a Holiday. I know how to postpone my e-mail, but then it online wants to send the email when I'm online. Is it possible to plan/programme/send emails when I'm...
  3. Scheduled task crashing system on startup

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduled task crashing system on startup: I have a device that, once I login, after a ~30 second pause, is bombarded with countless command prompt windows, to the point where it freezes the system entirely. CTRL+ALT+DEL does nothing to stop it; the mouse doesn't even track after the process has been going for a...
  4. Scheduled job not running at system startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scheduled job not running at system startup: I use a proprietary backup system which uses the task scheduler to kick off its scheduled backups. One of these is set to be started at system startup time, but it does not get run. A time-scheduled backup ran OK, though. So it looks as if something is broken on system...
  5. Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily

in Windows 10 Customization
    Postpone or Pause Updates & Reboots Temporarily: I'm assuming this has been asked, but I can't find it., so I'm posting a question with answer here. If you want to postpone Windows 10 updates temporarily (e.g., I'm running an analysis in Python that takes ~14 days, but Windows thinks it's OK to download updates and reboot...
  6. Samsung to Postpone the Launch of the Galaxy Fold

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung to Postpone the Launch of the Galaxy Fold: We recently unveiled a completely new mobile category: a smartphone using multiple new technologies and materials to create a display that is flexible enough to fold. We are encouraged by the excitement around the Galaxy Fold. While many reviewers shared with us the vast...
  7. App startup from Task Scheduler doesn't start on another user account.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    App startup from Task Scheduler doesn't start on another user account.: I find some programs startup is controlled by Task Scheduler rather than from the startup tab in Task Manager or from the app itself. I have a program Asus AI Suite that's startup with Windows appears to be controlled by Task Scheduler. The program always starts up in the...
  8. Postponing or scheduling windows 10 updates.. Why can't I?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Postponing or scheduling windows 10 updates.. Why can't I?: I have googled and looked through multiple answers online, all of which have completely different system panels for updates. These are a few of the update answers I've looked at that are 100% useless to me because they don't match what I have (so you don't post these as...
  9. Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is This New? Postpone Installing Updates: I don't believe I've noticed this before, but on my laptop, that does not have a metered connection or any other WU restrictions other that "Notify to Schedule Restart" I got an option asking if I wanted to install the updates downloaded or reschedule. Is this new? Windows...
  10. Task Scheduler at startup fails

in Windows 10 Support
    Task Scheduler at startup fails: Task Scheduler will not run a .bat or .vbs on startup; both were tested with Task Scheduler Run. 101817