Windows 10: Potential Bug: Accessing GPO blocked command prompt through PowerShell

Discus and support Potential Bug: Accessing GPO blocked command prompt through PowerShell in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; GPO is used to block CMD being run and trying results in "Disabled by administrator" or similar. A user can still access PowerShell though, as it's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OwenGriffiths47, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Potential Bug: Accessing GPO blocked command prompt through PowerShell

GPO is used to block CMD being run and trying results in "Disabled by administrator" or similar.

A user can still access PowerShell though, as it's usually needed for logon scripts, and then type "cmd" and it will again say "Disabled by administrator".

If however, the user types "cmd /r dir" the DIR command will run (or any other CMD command) even though CMD itself is blocked which allows access to things hidden in windows, for example hidden local hard drives etc.

Is this right? Seems to be a bit of a loophole in the GPO blocking mechanism.

:)

OwenGriffiths47, Nov 16, 2018
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Nov 16, 2018
  3. Kursah Win User
    PowerShell instead of Commandline in Creators Update

Interestingly enough my personal laptop just got the update...and still has Command Prompt listed, not PowerShell...

Edit: Not that it matters...I use both regularly. *Toast :toast:

Kursah, Nov 16, 2018
  4. cwtech Win User

Potential Bug: Accessing GPO blocked command prompt through PowerShell

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

I am repairing a laptop for a friend and I need to access windows in safe mode and the owner has forgotten the password to the main user. I tried logging on with the administrator profile in safe mode but it is not showing up so I was going to use command prompt in safe mode with command prompt but command prompt will not open when I boot that option. Does anyone have any hints for me to figure this out?

cwtech, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

Potential Bug: Accessing GPO blocked command prompt through PowerShell

1. Potential Bug: Accessing GPO blocked command prompt through PowerShell - Similar Threads - Potential Bug Accessing

2. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  3. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Customization
    Powershell or Command prompt !: Good morning, I use SCANNOW occassionally going into Command prompt etc. I have just been reading that using it with Powershell is better because it is a more powerful tool would you agree ? Is there anything else you would suggest using with Powershell to keep my laptop...
  4. Powershell or Command prompt !

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. SFC Works in command prompt but not in powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SFC Works in command prompt but not in powershell: When I try to run SFC in powershell I'm told, cannot run repair service. It's OK in command prompt.Run as administrator in both.James https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-works-in-command-prompt-but-not-in-powershell/7ad20074-7d56-4cbb-a2e0-45804c1adaf5
  6. Can't open device manager (except through command prompt/powershell)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open device manager (except through command prompt/powershell): If I search for 'device manager' and hit Enter, nothing happens, clicking the "open" link from the search UI also does nothing. If I manually navigate to device manager in the control panel, again, nothing happens. I click on "device manager" under the devices and printers...
  7. How to change a file's permission through powershell or command prompt

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to change a file's permission through powershell or command prompt: Is there a way to make a file get executed automatically as admin through command prompt or powershell? Lets say there is a file.exe and I want to tick that box that says "execute as administrator" without right clicking the file and doing it through the user interface....
  8. How to change a file's permission through powershell or command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    How to change a file's permission through powershell or command prompt: Is there a way to make a file get executed automatically as admin through command prompt or powershell? Lets say there is a file.exe and I want to tick that box that says "execute as administrator" without right clicking the file and doing it through the user interface....
  9. Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use "Command Prompt" instead of "PowerShell": Hi! I'm using Windows 10 version 1807, In this version, the option "Open in Command Prompt" fully removed from Explorer, in "File" menu and [Shift]+[Right Click] menu, And there's no option to get it back in Settings, only there's an option for [Alt]+[X] menu. I have to...
  10. Change PowerShell To Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Change PowerShell To Command Prompt: How do you change from PowerShell to Command Prompt using file explorer ? 104838