Windows 10: Potential GPU problems

Discus and support Potential GPU problems in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Once again i have recently been experiencing some issues possibly with my GPU or some other part. Despite my system has been completely stable the past... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BobLeSaget, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Potential GPU problems

Once again i have recently been experiencing some issues possibly with my GPU or some other part. Despite my system has been completely stable the past 2 years, I've experienced two instances of a complete system freeze the past couple days. The first one was while gaming and what happened was the system instantly froze and the screen became a checkerboard of pink/green static squares. The second time however i was just watching a youtube video when it froze, but this time there were no unusual screen artifacts, just the screen as it was.

At first i thought after the second time that there's a possibility that i might have an issue with the RAM instead, but after running 5 instances of Memtest at 2.1gb ram each with each one hitting about 350% passes without any errors, i feel like i'm back to square 1 on the possibility of it being a GPU issue.

Is it possible that streaming videos can cause the gpu to lock up if hardware acceleration is enabled?

Or another question might be if a GPU driver can spontaneously go bad and need a reinstall.

:)

BobLeSaget, Jul 9, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jul 9, 2019
  3. axe0 Win User
    B(lack)SOD after closing GPU demanding applications and games

I would like to suggest 2 more things if you don't mind,
    1. Seat the GPU in another slot, if possible, and see if that helps anything
    2. Use the GPU in another system, if possible, this is a step to determine that it is really the GPU and not multiple defective slots or something else from the system.

axe0, Jul 9, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Potential GPU problems

GPU

Hi Michael

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Display Adapters section

You should see your GPU listed, along with possibly an integrated graphics option

If that is no listed there:

Boot into BIOS (start your system, then on the manufacturers screen, repeatedly press the appropriate key (usually F2) to enter BIOS

Under System Information, you should find your GPU listed

If you still cannot find the GPU listing, what is the Make and exact Model No. of your PC - that will be printed on a sticker on the bottom casing . ..

DaveM121, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

Potential GPU problems

1. Potential GPU problems - Similar Threads - Potential GPU problems

2. GPU/Display problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU/Display problem: I am seeking assistance to resolve an ongoing problem with the functioning of the GPU installed in my PC. History The desktop PC was built in July 2015 and has never ceased to crash in one way or another when drivers installed. Since this time I have used the most updated...
  3. Potential Ransomware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potential Ransomware: Hello... For about the sixth time in as many months, I have clicked on a story to read off my homepage at MSN.COM. I'm running Windows 10 and using Edge. While reading the story a big red sinister looking window pops up with all kinds of dire warnings, trying to get me...
  4. May W10 Update potential problems ?

in Windows 10 Support
    May W10 Update potential problems ?: Hello, Lots of Posts around re a May Update to W10 by MS. Seems all sorts of nasty things will happen, especially if you have any external HD (perhaps for backups) installed. Other problems too, apparently. And, lots of hints for disabling the automatic backup that MS...
  5. Kaspersky reporting potential Chrome certificate problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Kaspersky reporting potential Chrome certificate problem: On my Windows 10 Pro system I use Google Chrome and Kaspersky 19.0.0.1088(d).For the past 2 weeks or so when starting Chrome I invariably get a Kaspersky warning Cannot guarantee authenticity of the domain to which encrypted connection is established. Application: Google...
  6. Kaspersky reporting potential Chrome certificate problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kaspersky reporting potential Chrome certificate problem: On my Windows 10 Pro system I use Google Chrome and Kaspersky 19.0.0.1088(d).For the past 2 weeks or so when starting Chrome I invariably get a Kaspersky warning Cannot guarantee authenticity of the domain to which encrypted connection is established. Application: Google...
  7. Is my GPU the problem?

Is my GPU the problem?: So recently my friend was having trouble with his EVGA graphics card underperforming. While he was trying to get a replacement part, they had him test his GPU in another PC. So I took my MSI graphics card out and put his in. He then installed the drivers for his graphics...
  8. How to identify and solve a potential SSD problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to identify and solve a potential SSD problem: I have a strange issue and am beating myself to trying to fix it. My system: I'm running Windows 10 Pro X64 Version 1511 on an ASUS i7 computer System drive is an OCZ 256G SSD Second drive is a 2TB HDD Here is what is happening: -After a system boot a week ago, I...
  9. PSU/GPU Power Problem

PSU/GPU Power Problem: I originally had an asus R7 250x that stopped working with my PC and it would not boot/display. Pressing the power button would yield no result. It worked fine for 3+ months before giving me this problem. I had a friend with a 500w PSU and he let me have it. I installed it...
  10. Potential installation or upgrade problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Potential installation or upgrade problem: Currently running Windows 8.1 on a 20gb partition. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 when it is released. Question is how? I suspect 20gb isn't enough as 16gb is already taken up by win 8.1. I installed win 8.1 as a clean install then activated with a win 8 key....