Windows 10: Potential GPU problems

Discus and support Potential GPU problems in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Once again i have recently been experiencing some issues possibly with my GPU or some other part. Despite my system has been completely stable the past... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by BobLeSaget, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Potential GPU problems

Once again i have recently been experiencing some issues possibly with my GPU or some other part. Despite my system has been completely stable the past 2 years, I've experienced two instances of a complete system freeze the past couple days. The first one was while gaming and what happened was the system instantly froze and the screen became a checkerboard of pink/green static squares. The second time however i was just watching a youtube video when it froze, but this time there were no unusual screen artifacts, just the screen as it was.

At first i thought after the second time that there's a possibility that i might have an issue with the RAM instead, but after running 5 instances of Memtest at 2.1gb ram each with each one hitting about 350% passes without any errors, i feel like i'm back to square 1 on the possibility of it being a GPU issue.

Is it possible that streaming videos can cause the gpu to lock up if hardware acceleration is enabled?

Or another question might be if a GPU driver can spontaneously go bad and need a reinstall.

:)

BobLeSaget, Jul 9, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jul 9, 2019
  3. axe0 Win User
    B(lack)SOD after closing GPU demanding applications and games

I would like to suggest 2 more things if you don't mind,
    1. Seat the GPU in another slot, if possible, and see if that helps anything
    2. Use the GPU in another system, if possible, this is a step to determine that it is really the GPU and not multiple defective slots or something else from the system.

axe0, Jul 9, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Potential GPU problems

GPU

Hi Michael

Open Device Manager (accessible by right clicking your Start Button)

Expand the Display Adapters section

You should see your GPU listed, along with possibly an integrated graphics option

If that is no listed there:

Boot into BIOS (start your system, then on the manufacturers screen, repeatedly press the appropriate key (usually F2) to enter BIOS

Under System Information, you should find your GPU listed

If you still cannot find the GPU listing, what is the Make and exact Model No. of your PC - that will be printed on a sticker on the bottom casing . ..

DaveM121, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

Potential GPU problems

1. Potential GPU problems - Similar Threads - Potential GPU problems

2. Potential security problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potential security problem: Hello I have a concern with my windows security since it is not working. I want to do factory reset but it might wipe the license as well. How to make it work or just let windows defender be my security for my PC?...
  3. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potential security problem: Hello I have a concern with my windows security since it is not working. I want to do factory reset but it might wipe the license as well. How to make it work or just let windows defender be my security for my PC?...
  4. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potential security problem: Hello I'm a bit concern with my windows security it is not working. I always check and try to set it up but nothing would work. I'm afraid that if I reset my PC back to factory settings I will lose license of my account. Is there a way to fix it? Or just let windows defender...
  6. Potential security problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potential security problem: Hello I'm a bit concern with my windows security it is not working. I always check and try to set it up but nothing would work. I'm afraid that if I reset my PC back to factory settings I will lose license of my account. Is there a way to fix it? Or just let windows defender...
  7. Potential security problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Game not using full GPU potential.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Game not using full GPU potential.: I don't quite understand the issue here. I went to revisit GTAIV : EFLC and it doesn't use very much of the RX6900XT. Max Settings only gets an average of 40fps. I turned the settings from VERY HIGH to HIGH and it made no difference. I am playing at 3840x2160 resolution. Yes,...
  9. Potential GPU problem?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Potential GPU problem?: Hello, so for the past week I've had a strange issue that occurred 3 times so far Whether or not the issue pertains to the gpu I don't know as one of the symptoms is the screen going black with no recovery First the mouse would stop working, and the cursor sometimes...
  10. Potential installation or upgrade problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Potential installation or upgrade problem: Currently running Windows 8.1 on a 20gb partition. I would like to upgrade to windows 10 when it is released. Question is how? I suspect 20gb isn't enough as 16gb is already taken up by win 8.1. I installed win 8.1 as a clean install then activated with a win 8 key....