Windows 10: Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive

Discus and support Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello,I have a Seagate 1TB External SSD. I was copying some files onto it when I bumped the USB cable lose and it interrupted the copy and corrupted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Alex Albright aalbright, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive

Hello,I have a Seagate 1TB External SSD. I was copying some files onto it when I bumped the USB cable lose and it interrupted the copy and corrupted the hard drive. It won't recognize on my laptop when I plug it in doesn't show up in the File Explorer, Disk Manager, or Device Manager. I just received this two days ago so I know the cable is fine. Is there a way to reset the hard drive so it's usable again? I don't care about recovering any data or anything, just don't want to have to deal with sending it back or getting a new one.

:)

Alex Albright aalbright, Aug 31, 2021

2. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

Hi Leenus,

Hard drive and other external memory storage can be corrupted on account of bad sectors which are no longer accessible or writable due to permanent damage. Your device or hard drive could also be infected by some type of malware. These are some of the possible
    causes why you are experiencing the error "ERROR 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". To address this concern, we suggest performing the following troubleshooting methods:

Method 1

Check and repair disk errors or corrupted file system. This process can fix "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error caused by bad sectors, virus infection or file system corruption. To do so, follow these steps:

• Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Using Search, type CMD.
    • From the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and then choose Run as administrator.
    • On the Command Prompt window, type chkdsk /f h: (h stands for your hard drive) and then hit the Enter key.
    • Delete the corrupted file and check if you'll experience the same error.

Method 2

Format the hard drive. You can manually format the hard drive to permanently remove "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" error. These are the steps on how to format an external drive:

• Plug the hard drive into your computer.
    • Back up all of the files on the hard drive (except for the corrupted file).
    • Open File Explorer and then click This PC.
    • Click the external hard drive's name, click on Manage tab and then click on Format.
    • Click Start and then click OK.

Keep us updated with the result.

Darleen Pen, Aug 31, 2021
  3. CANNOT DELETE A CORRUPTED FILE ON MY EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ON WINDOWS 10

I had the very same problem and this worked perfectly!!!

PaulMisener, Aug 31, 2021
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Aug 31, 2021
Thema:

Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive

1. Potentially Corrupted External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Potentially Corrupted External

2. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  3. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.: I have started to get a popup stating "The Recycle Bin on F:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle Bin for this drive?". Clicking on either option has seemingly no effect and the popup just reappears after a few seconds. This started immediately after I tried...
  4. Recycle bin on external hard drive is corrupted.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. External Hard drive corrupted?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive corrupted?: I have a 4tb WD My Book external hard drive. It was used for external storage on my Xbox One, One X, and I have since upgraded to a Series S system. When I first connected it to the Series S it worked just fine, but when doing initial downloading and moving around games to...
  6. Continuous Corruption To Video Files On External Hard Drives

Continuous Corruption To Video Files On External Hard Drives: I have had an external hard drive of 4 TB (Western Digital) filled with video files that are of average 5 GBs each , lately I got to realize it started sustaining corruptions where suddenly some of the files become 0 KB for no reason as even I have not accessed them lately ....
  7. External hard drive broken/corrupted?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External hard drive broken/corrupted?: [ATTACH] External hard drive shows up as local disk. When I click on it, the drive gets stuck on loading and makes my computer slow down. Crashes if I click anywhere on file explorer. I can't even turn on my computer when the external hard drive is plugged in. When it's...
  8. Corrupted Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted Hard Drive: How do you reformat a corrected hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-hard-drive/b4812ab5-d725-4cac-9aaf-8a1b884873f8
  9. Hard Drive Corruption.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive Corruption.: Hi everyone, my machine improper shut downs, many times and hard closing programs. I was looking for solutions and I found out one by check disk. Can you tell me how can I do that? Thanks...
  10. Corrupted hard drives

Corrupted hard drives: Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable drive are no longer seen by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external ssd corrupted 0x80070570