Windows 10: Potentially unwanted app found - Windows Security - After running an .exe file in Windows...

Discus and support Potentially unwanted app found - Windows Security - After running an .exe file in Windows... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A screenshot of the full report: https://imgur.com/a/Z0qmKtf Learn more:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by OlliverAira, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Potentially unwanted app found - Windows Security - After running an .exe file in Windows...

A screenshot of the full report: https://imgur.com/a/Z0qmKtf

Learn more: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=142185&name=PUA:Win32/InstallCore&threatid=213927

The file which it mentions in the report is an exe downloaded with Microsoft edge and which I then copied into a Windows Sandbox and ran from there.

So I tried removing the file from my downloads directory, restarted my pc and then ran a quick scan of my system with Windows Security. and then it gave me a new security alert: https://imgur.com/a/vy88jjS The old one still being there

Did the app run itself from the downloads directory or did it escape the sandbox, or could this be that it actually just found the malware files in my downloads directory and that it doesnt actually know if it have actually been executed? Non the less Im 100% positive I never opened it from my downloads directory, but that I only copied it into my sandbox and ran it from there, which is why Im asking about this here, because it just sounds so weird to me that it would be running without me ever executing it outside of the sandbox, and that the only infected files happen to be the ones I downloaded.

Also about the second security alert, there it says its not active and that its not running, but what I actually did was just uninstall it. If it really was a malware running on the device, wouldnt it of already copied itself to other directories at this point Judging by what it says on the learn more page?

My windows Version : 10.0.19041.329

:)

OlliverAira, Jun 22, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Jun 22, 2020
  3. nkienitz Win User
    RUN won't 'run' EXE files

Since 1803 was loaded on 3 of my Dell laptops (various models) I've discovered that the RUN function (under Windows Start Button) won't "run" an EXE file that is located in my download folder.

Same response on 3 different laptops.

I have a history of the APP for these EXEs (~12+ years worth) and they have always run from the RUN box and from the same download folder.

I can get the EXE to run when I click on it from Windows File Explorer or the Directory Opus File Manager.

I've also copied the two most recent EXEs that I downloaded since the 1803 update to my Desktop and they will run from the RUN box at that location.

I'm guessing something has changed with the 1803 update to affect this, but have not been able to figure it out as of yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

nkienitz, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Potentially unwanted app found - Windows Security - After running an .exe file in Windows...

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Potentially unwanted app found - Windows Security - After running an .exe file in Windows...

1. Potentially unwanted app found - Windows Security - After running an .exe file in Windows... - Similar Threads - Potentially unwanted app

2. Potentially unwanted app found by Windows security. But doesn't shows anything about the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potentially unwanted app found by Windows security. But doesn't shows anything about the...: Potentially unwanted app found by Windows security. But doesn't shows anything about the app. and i also try to scan the system with Microsoft Safety Scanner and haven't solved...
  3. Potentially Unwanted App Found

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Potentially Unwanted App Found: I get the potentially unwanted app PUA found, go to settings, security, app and browser control and see Actions recommended. PUA found Click on review, again get PUA found. Do you want this app to make changes to your device. Click NO. But still have PUA. How do I get rid of...
  4. Potentially Unwanted App Found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Potentially Unwanted App Found: I get the potentially unwanted app PUA found, go to settings, security, app and browser control and see Actions recommended. PUA found Click on review, again get PUA found. Do you want this app to make changes to your device. Click NO. But still have PUA. How do I get rid of...
  5. Potentially Unwanted App Found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. "Potentially unwanted app found"

"Potentially unwanted app found": Windows did a scan and it said "potentially unwanted app found", but when I clicked the report, I couldn't find absolutely anything to do with the said app and it said no threats found? I dug as much as I could, took some tips from here, and still found nothing on it.Decided...
  7. Potentially unwanted app found

Potentially unwanted app found: How do I find out what app is causing this message? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/potentially-unwanted-app-found/5aef0f1a-d07e-4a73-81b6-a8209baaa9af
  8. potentially unwanted app found

potentially unwanted app found: I get the "potentially unwanted app found" message on Windows security about once a week and I don't know what to do abouit it. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/potentially-unwanted-app-found/6d3079da-0ed2-478d-a4a6-0475e24252b2
  9. Potentially Unwanted App Found

Potentially Unwanted App Found: Hi, i got this notification about unwanted app but when i clic on remove it doesn't do anything. I even uninstalled the app but its still stuck in there and won't go away. I restarted the pc but still nothing..idk how to get rid of that thing..Like I can dismiss it but can it...
  10. Potentially unwanted app found

Potentially unwanted app found: How do I remove this thing? It keeps showing up even if I just selected remove action. Well I mean I did run 3 full scans and it still shows up even when I put it in quarantine nor remove. In short it just wont disappear [ATTACH]...