Windows 10: Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain

Discus and support Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Have a curious issue regarding configuring a power plan. Have a new Dell Latitude 5501 running 1909. By default its power plan is set to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ModestMase, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain

Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain bbSRiDxBc_-CSPQ6wy887EHVmift6X6Ynf-ciXA3dJc.jpg

Have a curious issue regarding configuring a power plan.

Have a new Dell Latitude 5501 running 1909.

By default its power plan is set to Ultimate Performance, but I'd like a more balanced profile, so I changed it to Balanced. This profile should keep the CPU from performing at 100% all the time. However, I noticed (even though it's set to sleep when closed or hitting the power button) that it was staying awake when closed, even running on battery. I noticed that "Steam Remote Play" was available for streaming on it, even though the laptop was closed in my work bag at the time. Taking it out revealed that it was running hot as hell (likely from being inside a bag…) and the battery was critically low.

Investigating the issue further, I noticed under Power Options > System Settings ("Define power buttons and turn on password protection")

All the options have defaulted to "Do Nothing."

If I attempt to change them all back to "Sleep" and save changes, those changes do not stick. I can immediately return and they say "Do nothing" once again.

What's more, the "Ultimate Performance" plan has disappeared as an option.

I then ran "powercfg -restoredefaultschemes" which restored back to default, and returned my "Ultimate Performance" option. Those "power button and close lid" settings were now set to "Sleep" and any changes would save, no problem. If I switch back to Balanced, or create a custom plan, same issue above occurs and I am forced to restore to get back to normal.

Has anyone experienced an issue like this with Windows 10 laptops? I'm now noticing that other laptops in our offices exhibit the same strange behavior. Could the issue lie with our image we restore from? Any possible solutions?

My next plan is to boot to a clean 1909 ISO and start over to see if the issue is tied to our image, but wanted to see if this is a known issue.

Thanks for any help!

submitted by /u/ModestMase
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ModestMase, Mar 10, 2020
  2. Sher Amo Win User

Waking and Powering on laptop with lid close

Hi,

Closing the lid can result in your Windows shutting down, sleeping or hibernating. You can control the behavior and decide what you want to do, once you close the lid. To assist you with your concern, we recommend that you follow these steps on how
    to configure the power option of your device if you want to keep your laptop running even with the lid closed:

• In the Search box, type powercfg.cpl and press
      Enter. This will open the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.
    • Now, in the Power Options window, click Choose what closing the lid
      does link from the left pane.

Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain 23d6d67b-a3ef-4444-a076-00bf166b3471?upload=true.png

• Choose what you want your laptop to do, when it’s running on battery and when it’s plugged in. For instance, under Power button and lid settings section you can find ‘When I Close the Lid’ option. Adjacent to it you can find options to help you define
      power button or lid settings. Once you've selected your options, click Save
      changes button.

Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain 3307afeb-cf65-4fdb-ab36-80e0cc60478e?upload=true.png

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

If you think this was useful, you may "Mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Sher Amo, Mar 10, 2020
  3. Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Mar 10, 2020
  4. Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain

Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain

1. Power Button/Close Lid settings on laptop don't retain - Similar Threads - Power Button Close

2. How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to power up a laptop with the lid closed?: I have an external monitor setup with my win10 laptop and everything works fine and I want to press the laptop power button to power up and start windows with the laptop lid always closed. How do I do this? submitted by /u/cryptotentnew [link] [comments]...
  3. starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    starting laptop when the lid is closed and power button outside: I have a hp laptop recently i bought a Samsung monitor I want to start the laptop I have to open the lid and then start . is there any way in which I can start the laptop when the lid is closed and my power button is outside please help...
  4. Laptop shuts down with lid closed despite settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop shuts down with lid closed despite settings: The other day, my work laptop insisted on installing some huge update. Now, DESPITE all of the Power Settings and What To Do When Lid Is Closed Settings clearly stating otherwise, my machine seemingly insists upon shutting down - rather than going to sleep - upon shutting the...
  5. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  6. Laptop lid close settings no longer working

Laptop lid close settings no longer working: Recently, possibly because of a system update, my settings with an external monitor no longer work. I had my power options set to - plugged in, when i close my laptop screen -do nothing. And that worked, when I closed my laptop screen my external monitor still worked as a...
  7. Display Closing Lid and Power Settings

Display Closing Lid and Power Settings: I was wondering about if there was any way for a setting to be changed so that: -If my computer is hooked up to a display (monitor), it would not sleep when I close the lid -If my computer is not hooked up to a display (monitor), it would sleep when I close the lid...
  8. laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings: Hello all, We use Dell laptops at my office. Power & Sleep settings under 'Sleep' are battery - sleep in 20 minutes, plugged in - sleep Never. Most of our users have the laptops in a docking station (Dell Latitude E-series dock) or use a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (Dell WD19TB)...
  9. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  10. My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?: This problem only started around last week, but I have also had it in the past. Whenever I shut the lid of my laptop (which I have set for the laptop to to enter sleep mode), it seems to sleep normally (i.e. the fan turns off and the power button blinks to indicate the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop side power button on closed lid