Windows 10: Power Button keep shutting down PC

Discus and support Power Button keep shutting down PC in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; It is already set as Do nothing in the Power and sleep button settings, but whenever I accidentally or intentionally try to press the power button,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sora.karasu, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Power Button keep shutting down PC

It is already set as Do nothing in the Power and sleep button settings,

but whenever I accidentally or intentionally try to press the power button, the PC force close all windows and program and then turn to blue shutdown screen and shutdown.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 10.0, Build 19041

Power Button keep shutting down PC a817ccbe-93f5-4644-8f26-616df5d425a6?upload=true.png

:)

sora.karasu, Apr 6, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Unable to boot up after shutting down the pc with the power button on

Your only option will be to power off.

Then try disconnecting power, holding the power button in for a minute, release, connect power, try rebooting.

If that fails, see if you can at least get into the BIOS.

If not, presumably you've a hardware problem.

And suggest that if you can boot up, you use the shut down button on your screen.
    (I'm still not convinced you're not powering your PC down- when you use the physical button, how long do you press it for, and what's it configured to do?)

dalchina, Apr 6, 2021
  3. The light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your description, I understand that the light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise due to various reasons:

• System not properly shut down or might be in sleep mode.

• Power cord connected to the device.

• Change in the settings.
    I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Did you make any recent changes to the settings?

• Does the CPU fan spins after the shutdown?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, (if you are using a laptop).

Unplug the charger from the lap top and check if the issue persists and also try to shut down from the lock screen.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 6, 2021
  4. Power Button keep shutting down PC

When I press the power button sleep, hibernated, or power down don't work my screen goes off but not my pc

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

To assist you better, I would like to know when exactly you had received this error. Are you able to boot the computer?

The following steps detail how to change what happens when the power button is pressed.

By default the power button will tell the computer to shut down, if it is not set to shut down, please follow the below steps.

• In the Windows search box enter ‘Power Options’ and click on it when it appears in the list.
    • On the left of the window, click on the ‘Choose what power buttons do’ link
    • Under ‘When I press the power button’ choose the option you want to change it to
      Shut Down.
    • Click ‘Save changes’ to save the changes.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

After performing the power troubleshooter, please perform the steps that has been provided above.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Apr 6, 2021
Thema:

Power Button keep shutting down PC

1. Power Button keep shutting down PC - Similar Threads - Power Button keep

2. PC keeps shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC keeps shutting down: Good day my pc keeps shutting down while running I switch it on the after few minutes it will say pc run into problems error then it's shows the stop code https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-keeps-shutting-down/a5f4c20c-690d-41b5-be21-ad9e464e0784
  3. Shut Down button locks PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut Down button locks PC: I have a Windows 10 PC that I have been using for a few years. A few days ago, I tried to shut down my PC by clicking on Shut Down in the start menu.It went to the lock screen instead. Even the Power button on my CPU locks the PC for some reason.I have already set "Choose...
  4. Shut Down button locks PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut Down button locks PC: I have a Windows 10 PC that I have been using for a few years. A few days ago, I tried to shut down my PC by clicking on Shut Down in the start menu.It went to the lock screen instead. Even the Power button on my CPU locks the PC for some reason.I have already set "Choose...
  5. Shut Down button locks PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Power button LED on while PC is SHUT DOWN

Power button LED on while PC is SHUT DOWN: Hello, I have a Dell OptiPlex 7050 SFF and ever since my I installed a Windows update, when I shutdown my computer the Power Button LED remains white, basically making it impossible for me to tell when it is on/off.I've had this computer for like two months and this has never...
  7. Power then Shut down Buttons

Power then Shut down Buttons: My choices were: " Power" then "Sleep Shut Down and Restrart." They are now: "Power",then Sleep Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart When I click on "Update and Shut Down", the machine goes back into Restart at once and then takes a long period of time after...
  8. Pc sometimes shuts down after clicking the power button

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc sometimes shuts down after clicking the power button: Hey so, about a month ago, I bought brand components for my PC build, and I noticed an issue witch is really bugging me, after clicking the power button my PC will shut down sometimes, but most of the times it wont, so I got to shut it down in the windows menu, and solutions...
  9. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.: Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off-button-vs-shut-down-button-on-screen/b9c98a3c-b0d5-4436-8acd-39788bab7209
  10. PC keeps shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    PC keeps shutting down: My win 10 pc keeps shutting down when left inactive for any length of time. I have checked the power options page, see screenshot [img] Is there anything here that I need to change? Thanks in advance. I have just disabled hybrid sleep to see if this solves the...