Windows 10: Power button not working

Discus and support Power button not working in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have a custom built pc and when i press the power button outside the os or in the os in the start menu it does not work. But I used to.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AustinGrimes, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Power button not working

Hello, I have a custom built pc and when i press the power button outside the os or in the os in the start menu it does not work. But I used to. Mysleep button in the os also just turnd off the display and the motherbordand fan rgbs stay on but they used to turn off. I can open command prompt and type shutdown -s and that does it. I set my power plan to default and made sure it's set for when power button is pressed shutdown but it still d ou sent work. Right clicking windows icon than selecting shutdown also does not work. I went ahead and rand a power trouble shoot and it found nothing. Any ideas what could be happening. D

Btw what does the power button trigger to run the shutdowns script, how can I view the script what would be if button pressed shutdown. Idk if that would be useful for this problem but I feel it might be.

:)

AustinGrimes, Dec 26, 2019

2. Windows 10 power buttons not working.

Hi Gerry,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps given below:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering
    sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.
    • Click on View all on the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Power.
    • Click on Advanced on the
      Power
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.
    Step 2:

Try to restore the default power plan settings and check to isolate the issue.

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.
    • Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.
    • Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.
    • Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on
      OK if prompted.
    Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

ThofikhAhamad, Dec 26, 2019
  3. Start Button displaying but not working

The start button was working until there was a forced reboot (power failure). Then left click (normal click) over the start button does absolutely nothing. Right click brings up a menu but "programs" and also "settings" are missing and not included on this list. Search or Task View buttons do not work either with "normal" click. Does anyone have any suggestion or fixes?
    Thank you in advance *Huh
    Sue

suejbakula, Dec 26, 2019
  4. Power button not working

power button not working

Hi paulinemountford

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps given below:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep
    mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

1. Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel

2. Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

3. Click on View all on the left navigation pane.

4. Click on Power.

5. Click on Advanced on the Power dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

6. Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.

Step 2:

Try to restore the default power plan settings and check to isolate the issue.

1. Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.

2. Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.

3. Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.

4. Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on OK if prompted.

Source :
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

Perla R. Independent Advisor

Perla Marino, Dec 26, 2019
Thema:

Power button not working

1. Power button not working - Similar Threads - Power button working

2. Only power button works on keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only power button works on keyboard: Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other...
  3. Only power button works on keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Only power button works on keyboard: Hi,I have dropped a few drops of water on my keyboard before the failure. Straight after that i cleaned the keyboard with a dry cloth. The only button working on the keyboard is the power key. The touchpad is responsive. The keyboard is permanently highlighted. Other...
  4. Windows 10 power button not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 power button not working: The physical power button just does nothing when pressed. There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but when I press it when the computer is running it just does nothing no matter what I set it to do in the power settings. I've tried resetting the...
  5. Windows 10 power button not working

Windows 10 power button not working: The physical power button just does nothing when pressed. There's no hardware fault. The button turns the laptop on just fine, but when I press it when the computer is running it just does nothing no matter what I set it to do in the power settings. I've tried resetting the...
  6. Power button doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button doesn't work: The power button doesn't work. It's like my power button is offline but i really want to try SignalRGB to see that using a Inuasion Fan works. I didn't know how does a 3 year old pc could show no life. That's only i could tell you about....
  7. Power button doesn't work

Power button doesn't work: The power button doesn't work. It's like my power button is offline but i really want to try SignalRGB to see that using a Inuasion Fan works. I didn't know how does a 3 year old pc could show no life. That's only i could tell you about....
  8. power button not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power button not working: when I click on the power display on the computer and click shutdown the computer says shutting down. then it says going to sleep and the button on the side goes yellow. But when I press the button in it just switches itself back on and turns blue. I have held the power...
  9. power button isn't working

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power button isn't working: Hi there: I have a Windows 10 laptop. It can be also used as a tablet as well. For some reason when I want to turn the laptop on power button does not work. When I remove the screen from the main part and then re-try turning the power on again this time power button works. I...
  10. power button desktop not work

in Windows 10 Support
    power button desktop not work: hi When i press the powerbutton the pc won't shutdown. By engergy on configuration screen everry thing stay good 13072