Windows 10: Power button settings

Discus and support Power button settings in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If i were to set the power button to do nothing when pressed located in change what closing the lid does settings if i were to shutdown the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Reeing Gamer, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Power button settings

If i were to set the power button to do nothing when pressed located in change what closing the lid does settings if i were to shutdown the computer can i still use the power button to turn it on?

:)

Reeing Gamer, Aug 9, 2022
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Can't Change Power Settings

Thank you for the quick response. We will now move to the second phase of troubleshooting. We suggest that you follow the steps provided below:

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with your system's power settings. Here's how:

• In the search box, type troubleshooting, and then click
      Troubleshooting
    • Click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Power troubleshooter.

Method 2: Customize Power options.

If issue persists, the the following steps and check.

• In the search box, type Power options, and then click.
    • Click on choose when to turn off display from the left pane.
    • Click on Restore default settings for this plan.
    • Click on Change advance power settings.
    • Scroll down and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Expand Power button actions.
    • Click on the Setting and set it to Shut down.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Aug 9, 2022
  3. OOOO Win User
    How to disable "5 seconds power button shut off" on a laptop?

I does not suggest you to do this, if you insist on this, try the following steps.

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Find and click System and Security
    3. Find and click Power Options
    4. On the left hand, you will see Choose what the power button does and click it
    5. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable to be able to change the settings
    6. In When I press the power button, you can choose Do nothing

Power button settings SQHnd.png

Hope this can help you.

OOOO, Aug 9, 2022
  4. Power button settings

Windows 10 power buttons not working.

Hi Gerry,

I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if this helps.

Step 1:

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps given below:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering
    sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the
      Control Panel.
    • Click on View all on the left navigation pane.
    • Click on Power.
    • Click on Advanced on the
      Power
      dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).
    • Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Power troubleshooter.
    Step 2:

Try to restore the default power plan settings and check to isolate the issue.

• Press Windows + R keys on the keyboard to open Run command.
    • Type powercfg.cpl to open the power settings.
    • Click on Change plan settings beside your current plan.
    • Click on Restore default setting for this plan and click on
      OK if prompted.
    Let us know the status of the issue to assist you further.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 9, 2022
Thema:

Power button settings

1. Power button settings - Similar Threads - Power button settings

2. Power button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power button: I have a new computer, and the Power button is on top - right next to a USB port. When I remove a thumb drive it's tight, my hand will press on the Power button, and it does what it's supposed to. Is there a way to add a confirmation to pressing the Power button...
  3. Power button settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button settings: If i were to set the power button to do nothing when pressed located in change what closing the lid does settings if i were to shutdown the computer can i still use the power button to turn it on?...
  4. No power button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No power button: I recently got a Window XP professional with not power button but I connect a keyboard to it lights up there's also a orange light happened every time I connect the power cord to the wall outlet I checked the vga cord and i just bought it yesterday it could be the monitor I'm...
  5. No power button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No power button: I recently got a Window XP professional with not power button but I connect a keyboard to it lights up there's also a orange light happened every time I connect the power cord to the wall outlet I checked the vga cord and i just bought it yesterday it could be the monitor I'm...
  6. power button?

in Windows 10 Customization
    power button?: Where is the control button to startup the computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-button/3ab94f1f-449b-441a-94eb-d6b6182136f8
  7. Power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power button: Some instructions tell me to press the "power" button. I don't see a button with the word "power" on it. What do I do when I encounter the instruction to press the "power" button?...
  8. Power button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power button: I set the power button to to shut down the computer when I press it and saved the changes. However this feature doesn’t work. Nothing changes when I press the button. I consider this feature very useful so I ask you for help...
  9. Power Button Setting

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Button Setting: I have an Acer Aspire 3 and set the power button to shut down when pressed, on both battery and plugged in status. Changes were saved and it still has those settings - but it doesn't work. Nothing at all happens when I press the power button. This setting has worked on...
  10. Laptop power button and sleep settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop power button and sleep settings: Hi all, I have a Lenovo W510 laptop with Windows 10 Professional. I see in the power settings that I can configure the power button to put the laptop to sleep when pressed. I have it configured as such but when I press the power button, nothing happens. If I manually put...