Windows 10: power charging issues

Discus and support power charging issues in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My battery power is being used up 1st even while I have the charger plugged in. The battery only charges when I shut down/power off.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tuddy1965, Nov 13, 2019.

1. tuddy1965 Win User

power charging issues

My battery power is being used up 1st even while I have the charger plugged in. The battery only charges when I shut down/power off.

:)

tuddy1965, Nov 13, 2019
  2. Graydrake Win User

My Computer is Plugged in but not Charging

My laptop computer is plugged in but not charging. The power supply will maintain the charge level (%), but not add to it. Removing and reinserting the battery allows the power supply to add to the % charge to 100%.

Steps performed:

• Turning the computer off and restarting it returns the computer to the Plugged in, Not Charging state.
    • Removing the battery again allows one complete charge, after which the laptop would no longer charge again.
    • I have used more than one power supply with the same condition.

To resolve the issue, I remove the battery, obtain a complete charge, and maintain this charge by always keeping the power supply plugged in.

What is the root of the problem?

Graydrake, Nov 13, 2019
  3. Laptop no longer charging since Windows 10 update

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

power charging issues pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Nov 13, 2019
  4. Akihiko Win User

power charging issues

Laptop no longer charging since Windows 10 update

Thanks for the response, but the issue is not the battery or the laptop. It was charging and working fine prior to this most recent Windows 10 update.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say. When the charger is plugged in, it just says "plugged in", but my battery has been at 2% for the past several hours. Obviously the charger is doing something since it's holding the 2% power, but it's not charging. There has to be some day to bypass whatever this update broke.

Akihiko, Nov 13, 2019
Thema:

power charging issues

1. power charging issues - Similar Threads - power charging issues

2. Issues with charging and power

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with charging and power: I put my laptop to sleep last night, and when I tried to use it again the battery was dead. It has been on charging for 30 minutes, and while the keyboard lights are on the computer screen is not. How do I fix this?...
  3. Issues with charging and power

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Issues with charging and power: I put my laptop to sleep last night, and when I tried to use it again the battery was dead. It has been on charging for 30 minutes, and while the keyboard lights are on the computer screen is not. How do I fix this?...
  4. Issues with charging and power

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. charging issu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    charging issu: my laptop has plug in but its still not charging how can i fix it please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/charging-issu/bf6f9b7c-782b-473f-aef9-d24a39e98caa
  6. charging issu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    charging issu: my laptop has plug in but its still not charging how can i fix it please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/charging-issu/bf6f9b7c-782b-473f-aef9-d24a39e98caa
  7. charging issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    charging issue: I bought an AMD RADEON ryzen7 5000series laptop 2 months back. Recently my laptop's got this problem in which my laptop starts lagging/stuttering/choppy audio after 10 minutes of connecting charger while playing a game The game works butter smooth when not connected to...
  8. power not charging

in Windows 10 Customization
    power not charging: not charging when powered but charges when powered off or when lid is closed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-not-charging/1b54ad8d-72c5-41da-8966-9ff66c163288
  9. Power mode (plugged in) not charging / charging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Power mode (plugged in) not charging / charging: I'm having issues with Windows 10 Power Saving Mode on my laptop. When the Power Source (charger) is plugged in the laptop will go in and out of power savings mode ever second or so. This does not happen when the battery is fully charged. I've replace the power source and...
  10. Charging issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Charging issue: Whenever I unplug my charger from my laptop my laptop turns off (windows 10 pro) how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/charging-issue/dd1891ab-a82e-4519-8edf-f46120110d71