Windows 10: Power down button does not completely turn computer power off

Discus and support Power down button does not completely turn computer power off in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I power down the system from the menu, my computer does not completely turn off. The procedure I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by massasauga, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Power down button does not completely turn computer power off

I recently upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I power down the system from the menu, my computer does not completely turn off. The procedure I use is described below:

Click Windows_Start_button > Power > Shutdown

The system closes applications and appears to initiate a shutdown procedure. Everything appears to be shut off, but my mouse is still lit up. I do notice that the fan stops and everything else appears to be completely shut down. When I was running Windows 7 before my upgrade, my system completely powered down.

I have a dual boot system with Linux, and when I power down from Linux, the shutdown is complete, so I don't think I accidentally did anything to the hardware or BIOS.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm pretty sure there is some tweak in Windows 10 that would fix this, but I haven't found it yet. Thanks for any suggestions you might be able to offer.

:)

massasauga, Jan 28, 2016

2. Nokia Lumia 800

A soft reset is just powering the phone down to OFF and then turning it back on (or rebooting the phone). Press & hold the power button on the phone until you see a message to "slide down to power off." Folllow those directions and then the phone will
    be powered completely OFF. Then press & hold the power button again to power the phone back ON.

Julie fka profjulie, Jan 28, 2016
  3. Nokia lumia 800 light is allways on.

Are you talking about the screen backlight? Seems like something got stuck. Have you tried turning the phone completely off? Hold down the power button and in a bit a screen will come down from the top that says slide down to turn off. Slide down and the
    phone will power completely off. Then hold down power for a bit and it will boot back up. Most vibrate when it recognizes you want to turn back on, so you can let go of power.

Sven Johannsen, Jan 28, 2016
  4. Power down button does not completely turn computer power off

I found the solution on another thread. If you have this problem try the following:
    1. Log in as an administrator.
    2. Right click the Menu button.
    3. Left click -> Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what the power button does > Change settings that are currently unavailable
    4. Uncheck the box next to Turn on fast startup (recommended)
    5. Make sure Hibernate is unchecked.
    6. Left click Save changes.
    The next time you shut down the computer, it will be completely powered off. At least this worked on my machine.

massasauga, Jan 29, 2016
  5. rboris Win User
    hold down shift key when clicking on "shut down" : then you'll get a full, dead, stop.

rboris, Jan 29, 2016
  6. Try shutting it down by
    Right click the start button
    Then Scroll to Shut down and sign out
    Then click >
    That will bring up 4 options
    Then click SHUT DOWN

That is the way I do it

hTconeM9user, Jan 30, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    That's good. As long as it works for you, that's all that matters.
    Happy computing.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Power down button does not completely turn computer power off

1. Power down button does not completely turn computer power off - Similar Threads - Power down button

2. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  3. Power button works to turn on but not turn off.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Power button works to turn on but not turn off.: I own a Spectre x360 16 and the power button works normally when turning on but if I were to hold the power button to shut down, it acts like I haven’t done anything. There is no indication of error or any tabs open, acts like I haven’t touched the button at all. Went to...
  4. Computer freezing and requires power button to be held down to turn off and reboot PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing and requires power button to be held down to turn off and reboot PC.: Hello. These are my PC specs:OS: Windows 10 ProCPU: i7 7700kGPU: NVIDIA 1080My computer is freezing at seemingly random times:1. Froze while playing Counterstrike 22. Froze on the main menu of Counterstrike 23. Froze while playing PUBG4. Froze while opening a new tab in...
  5. Computer freezing and requires power button to be held down to turn off and reboot PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing and requires power button to be held down to turn off and reboot PC.: Hello. These are my PC specs:OS: Windows 10 ProCPU: i7 7700kGPU: NVIDIA 1080My computer is freezing at seemingly random times:1. Froze while playing Counterstrike 22. Froze on the main menu of Counterstrike 23. Froze while playing PUBG4. Froze while opening a new tab in...
  6. Computer freezing and requires power button to be held down to turn off and reboot PC.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Turn Off the Display Via the Power Button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Turn Off the Display Via the Power Button: I would like to turn off the display on my tablet without putting it to sleep via pressing the power button. I read that the Power Options allow this. But, when I looked, I saw only Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, and Shut down. Turn off the display is not available. What...
  8. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.: Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off-button-vs-shut-down-button-on-screen/b9c98a3c-b0d5-4436-8acd-39788bab7209
  9. Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen: How do I configure my computer so that if I push the power button when the computer is on the Welcome screen but nobody has logged in, the computer will shut down? If I am logged in, pressing the power button will shut down the computer, but not if nobody has logged into the...
  10. Turn off power strip after computer shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Turn off power strip after computer shut down: Hi, I posted earlier. I have a Dell Inspiron 3670 with Windows 10. When I turn off the computer (hit windows logo, hit the power button, hit shut down) after the computer screen is off (screen black) the power light stays on and the small light indicating internal hard...